Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan Reviews

December 2, 2015
I seem to always say this but these talking head Documentaries really need to be a one hour DVD extra not a full length feature. Harryhausen comes across as a really likeable guy and the special effects work still looks great today (if a little less convincing). The queue of big name Directors gushing about him gets a little dull mind you but this is a worthy watch for anyone who loved Sinbad or Clash of the Titans on a Sunday morning as a kid...didn't we all?
½ August 26, 2015
Ray, te adoro, eres uno de mis ídolos, te debo mucho al igual que millones de chavales, eres un genio irrepetible, un artista único y mereces un mejor homenaje que este documental.
August 13, 2015
Informative doc about the influential stop motion genius.
½ December 12, 2014
It's just incredible to see the work that Ray Harryhausen did in movies, and they display it in this documentary with great care and excellence. The documentary is only good as its subject, and Ray and his special effects are one hell of an interesting subject for movie lovers. It started to get real grandparent-like with dissing the modern digital effects, just let the old people complain. I'm glad I was able to witness the dedication that Ray Harryhausen put into his animation, simply remarkable.
July 18, 2014
On the DVD of 20 Million Miles to Earth there is a different documentary about the career of Ray Harryhausen. It has some different graphics and interviews, but many of the same anecdotes across the timeline of Harryhausen's life. I watched this one on Netflix. What it contains that the other lacks are interviews with filmmakers like Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, and Guillermo del Torro, as well as other effects artists who talk about the influence that Harryhausen's creatures had on them. And Harryhausen speaks for himself quite often.
May 24, 2014
If you grew up at a certain time and loved fantasy films then Harryhausen held all the good stuff. It's a must see documentary.
May 5, 2014
A documentary on the genius that is Ray
Harryhausen - charting the history of his film making to his wide ranging and titanic influence this is a great, adoring documentary about a cinematic icon
May 5, 2014
Engrossing documentary if you are fans of the special effects guru and the fantasy adventure films he had so much input on.
April 24, 2014
I can watch stop-motion dinosaurs on loop for days and not get bored - so this is manna from heaven
February 23, 2014
Stop motion & Ray Harryhausen fans will likely enjoy this rounded tribute to Harryhausen's career. It's more about his films & his legendary & iconic creatures, rather than an in depth hands on look at how he created his work. Thoroughly enjoyable doc!
½ January 21, 2014
A great look inside the man who largely helped the SFX world and inspire many. It's pretty straight forward, they got a lot of directors who was inspired by him like Peter Jackson, James Cameron, and Spielberg. It's definitely worth checking out especially if you are a fan of film and filmmaking.
½ January 15, 2014
This is a surprisingly well-done documentary about the man behind all those classic Hollywood stop-motion animation movie monsters. Dinosaurs, Medusa, a skeleton army - this man gave life to some truly timeless characters, and this documentary respectfully and affectionately tells Harryhausen's story. There are also lots of golden little nugget interviews with famous special affects artists and directors that makes this doc a must-see for any movie fan.
½ January 2, 2014
Criminally conventional and repetitive, but it's a real treat to hear Harryhausen discuss the process in which he made these amazing stop motion visuals.
December 18, 2013
I really enjoyed it!
November 13, 2013
A tribute to the work of the special effects Titan.
May 30, 2013
You really can't understate how important he was. If you've enjoyed a sci fi, fantasy, horror or in fact any genre of film that has involved effects or animation, Ray Harryhausen influence can be felt in subtle & not so subtle ways. In a world dominated with teams of 80 people putting together CGI effects there will never be anyone like him ever again.
May 25, 2013
Straightforward doc, with plenty of Harryhausen's amazing creations on display.
May 16, 2013
A must every Harryhausen fan since it covers his entire career.
½ March 23, 2013
I like Ray Harryhausen. I like the man (met him a few times) and I like his work. Even in these days of CGI and smooth matte work, his cinematography is influential and inspiring, and he's a skilled artist too. So why the low score? Well, this is an obvious attempt to advertise the new Harryhausen Institute, using a get together of some of the top film makers at its launch. As film makers, this lot should know what comes over on camera. While the archive material is cracking, and the interview material informative, these big Hollywood names come over as sycophantic fan boys, smacking a bit of being disingenuous. It's obvious they're not when you see their work back to back with Harryhausens, but that's what comes across. I'm glad I have this, as a good record of the mans work, but could do without the back slapping.
½ March 17, 2013
Absolutely a MUST-SEE for every Sci-Fi/Fantastic/Fantasy movie fan. This is a gorgeous and interesting homage to the man that revolutionized with his work the SFX world as we know it.