Read My Lips - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Read My Lips Reviews

August 2, 2012
This is actually a movie that i never suspected to have such a depth in its story line . perhaps i wouldn't have believed if I haven't seen it by myself . nice work..honest and good.
July 14, 2012
Hollywood needs to take a few lessons in movie making from films like this. Brilliance.
July 10, 2012
utter gash. I don't often write reviews but sticking through this has ruined my evening. I loved Mesrine and was so looking forward to Vincent playing a larger than life criminal again, but he bumbles through an awkward first hour as an ex con cowtowing to a dull french office life, in a poorly fitting shirt and tie and sporting crappy tash and chops.
the girl starts and remains dull and her character only gets out of second gear for about ten minutes.
then there's the terrible suspended belief requirement as the lip reading starts and then kinda saves the day. but it's one implausibility upon another for the last 30 minutes.
honestly watch Mesrine I and II. Avoid this, unless you like watching people from WHSmiths subliminate into a heist fantasy written by a teenager.
June 19, 2012
Largely dependent on an indelibly touching performance by Emmanuelle Devos, Audiard's emotional, cagey dramatic caper genuinely engages on various levels, one being a refreshing variation on the office romance, two lonely people discovering each other in a way that germinates in a purely unique fashion.
April 15, 2012
Beware of spoilers !!!
A somewhat awkward ending makes this movie no more than just bearable to watch. Two hours of plotline development were enough to develop very deep and interesting characters, but apparently not for us, the viewers, to understand what's going on with parole officer's wife, why Carla stayed in the closet during Paul's execution, how did the pub keeper killed two nasty looking guys with a knife only and so on...
April 7, 2012
konventioneller thriller der durch seine hauptdarsteller aus der masse hervorsticht
½ December 17, 2011
It mixes alot of different genres and Audiard makes it work. When it changes gears the movie feels fresh. The performances by Emmanuelle Devos and Vincent Cassel are very good and there chemistry is a delight. He doesn't get alot to chew on but Olivier Gourmet from 'The Son' is fantastic. Most of the scenes in the film carry weight to them which makes the suspense all the better.
December 3, 2011
not as good as a Prophet, but Read My Lips is an interesting film that benefits a lot of Audiard's direction. Also, Vincent Cassel is arguably the best actor of the past 15 years.
½ October 8, 2011
A differenza di quello che leggo in giro non mi pare un capolavoro, ma un film carino con una buona storia dietro (io vedo nella trama quel voto in più che si può dare).
P.s. A dir la verita' non ho ben compreso cosa, la parte riguardante l'ispettore, dovesse dirci o a cosa servisse.
½ July 16, 2011
Devos has some nice moments, but this takes too long to decide what type of movie it wants to be.
½ June 2, 2011
Contrary to what the DVD sleeve (and a lot of reviews on here) say, it's not "Hitchcockian"--people love to throw that word around. However, it is entertaining, and there's real sexual tension between the leads. Vincent Cassel is very ugly/sexy.
½ May 15, 2011
Unexpected masterpiece. Nice to see how director enjoy the process, work with details and add new layers to make overall impression even better.
April 12, 2011
Audiard is one of the best directors working today and this is a well made Hitchcockian thriller.
½ April 1, 2011
I can't really find fault with it, but I wasn't particularly taken with it, either.
March 31, 2011
The sounds and lack there of really boost this film. Incredible violent scenes
March 14, 2011
Buenisimo thriller frances
March 7, 2011
at the start i was getting the impression that delving deep into its leads was going to be paramount in this film but then crime-drama took over.
½ December 24, 2010
½ November 9, 2010
vincent cassel is genius. genius. almost unrecognisable.
October 18, 2010
Excellent French thriller. Both leads give Oscar winning performances...