Real Women Have Curves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Real Women Have Curves Reviews

½ November 4, 2011
Weak and disappointing.
November 1, 2011
me gusto mucho! cortita y sencilla, agradable y hasta un poco tierna.
October 18, 2011
the compelling story causes some of the few flaws in this feelgood flick to disappear. Still good the second time around...
½ September 10, 2011
Por películas como esta me encanta el cine... Hay tanto material digno de estudio en este film!... Una adolescente entre la rebeldía, la antipatía, la superación y el desafío a un sistema injusto basado en lo retrogrado de la idiosincrasia latinoamericana... Una madre que ataca a su hija y la hiere con sus palabras, pero que lo hace por lo que ella misma cree que es el bien de (C)sta, esa madre que se niega al avance y desarrollo intelectual y social de su hija (quien además es muy inteligente) y llora tras la cortina del pensamiento familiar típico mexicano al ver como su hija se supera y toma las riendas de su vida... La parte en que la madre, ya anciana, se cree embarazada es chistosisima y a la vez muy profunda; Lo hace porque necesita a un nuevo beb (C) en la casa ( y debe tenerlo así sea inventándolo), pues su hija ya no es su beb (C) y toma sus propias decisiones y tiene sus propias creencias... El final no es del todo feliz, como es normal en la vida... Por eso y por muchas cosas me encantó este largometraje... que recomiendo y aplaudo...
½ August 30, 2011
Winsome and charming, but utterly predictable.
August 15, 2011
My Spanish teacher recommend watching this movie. I thought for an HBO tv movie, they did an excellent job. America Ferrera does an amazing and believable job as the daughter of very traditional and poor Spanish-American parents. I thought the movie did the right mix between feel good and somewhat realistic. It also shows how hard it is to go against your parents and be independent. Worth watching.
July 29, 2011
REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES (2002)
July 13, 2011
Really enjoyed it. Quite touching. /-)
½ July 13, 2011
Yes. Real women do have curves. This drama is a must see for any Hispanic living in America.
July 10, 2011
A coming of age movie that celebrated women by showing the struggle of one woman to gain her independence & better her life! I <3 America Ferrera!
hunterjt13
May 30, 2011
A young woman rebels against her mother in order to gain independence and a better life.
These days there is a lot of talk about the American Dream with politicians bandying about the term with little critical insight and the late, great George Carlin saying, "They call it that because you have to be asleep to believe it.;" But this is a film with its eyes wide open and a focused, almost myopic support of the possibilities that still remain for this nation's under-represented.
America Ferrera's performance as a focused, determined woman who is torn by her tradition-worshiping mother and her dreams of going to college is quite strong, and we quickly gain an admiring respect for the character as Ferrera embodies her. Likewise, the antagonist, played by Lupe Ontiveros, is believable as being able to combine love, fear, and manipulation in a single action. These are two fine actresses giving strong performances.
Though the film is able to celebrate women without demonizing men, there are nonetheless structural flaws. Director Patricia Cardoso tries to add Latin music to smooth out the film's transitions, but the scenes are unevenly short and episodic. Also, we never see much development in Ana's character. It is as though she either wakes up or starts the movie ready to give a school assembly speech to young girls about the importance of self-esteem, use of condoms, and higher education. Thus, she becomes a one-dimensional character and a mouthpiece for the director and screenwriters. Nothing she says is objectionable, but a film so invested in character should allow us more insight into her journey.
Overall, there's no reason not to show this film to every teenager in the country, regardless of ethnicity or size, but there are many reasons not to show it in film school.
May 22, 2011
Learned from Profe Ram only picture that depicts women revealing how they view their body outside a man's presence.
May 5, 2011
Much better the second time around!
March 26, 2011
I heard the play was really good so I've always wanted to see this. The film however, disappointed me a bit. It's hard to sympathize with Ferrera's character. On the one hand she shows glimpses of the strong independent girl her character is supposed to be but she also comes off as lazy and without ambition. It reminded me of Spanglish a lot, a film I enjoyed a whole lot.
½ March 13, 2011
I loved this movie! Very well made film about a strong teenager who is trying to move away from the traditions of her Mexican American women. I especially liked the body acceptance and lack of man bashing. Great multicultural feminist film!
½ February 18, 2011
La directora colombiana Patricia Cardoso va al punto con esta sencilla pero fantastica historia protagonizada por Ana (America Ferrera), una mujer que esta cansada de ser identificada como hija, hermana, esposa, empleada, puta y gorda y que tiene deseos de aprender, amar, ser amada y en ultimas, de vivir. Lupe Ontiveros es fantastica en el papel de la madre hipocondriaca, martir, obsesionada por los chismes y por la gordura y la virginidad de sus hijas, quien sobreprotege tanto a sus hijas como a unos periquitos a quienes tiene encerrados en una jaula. Cardoso logra una sorprendente obra maestra que nos muestra lo lejos que todavia estamos de la "liberacion femenina" en una sociedad donde madres e hijas viven obsesionadas por un cuerpo esbelto, por los peligros del sexo, por el matrimonio como finalidad ultima y por ser reconocidas como victimas y martires. La escena de las mujeres desnudandose para compartir sus estrias y celulitis ante el rostro escandalizado de la madre, no puede ser mas elocuente. Mujeres, por favor, liberense!!!!!
January 30, 2011
absolutely L.O.V.E this fiiiiiiiilm
½ January 21, 2011
Really loved it, felt quite empowered being a larger girl.

I wanted to know more once it ended.
January 10, 2011
This movie was great for the simple fact that rather than taking stick-thin model types and casting them in the roles of "normal" women... they actually CASTED normal women. While the ending of the movie was very predictable and it ended a little abruptly, this was overall a great film.
December 27, 2010
A wonderful movie a must see...America Ferrera did an excellent job :)