Reap the Wild Wind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Wonderfully Romantic Adventure set at sea
½ April 21, 2014
good technicolour historical pic
½ April 11, 2014
It's a slow moving toilsome drama to begin with that's way too long for its own good, however the final underwater scene sees this historic melodrama suddenly turn into something from a Jules Verne novel with giant monster creatures attacking and is farcical compared to what has gone before it.
½ May 7, 2013
This is the one of a very few John Wayne films that is excellent, but the chilling scream when the ship hits the reef has haunted me for years, and that Octopus and Shaul, classic stough
June 16, 2012
12 Years before '20,000 Leagues under the Sea' came out featuring a giant squid, 'Reap the Wild Wind' hit the screens. And the squid here and under water action is second to none. John Wayne also gives one of his most expressive performances, if not heroic. DeMille's "middle-period' is hands down my favorite - after the silents and before the 50s. Great pic.
½ May 24, 2012
Ok, ish, but not great. Not very compelling, and drifts in the middle section. The love story is conventional and the ending is fairly trite.

However, it does have the Cecil B DeMille trademarks of great cinematography, very realistic settings and props and extravagant and expansive picturescapes.

Performances are so-so. John Wayne plays John Wayne (and I'm not a huge fan). I found Ray Milland fairly irritating in Dial M for Murder and here he is a touch more bearable. The female leads - Paulette Goddard and Susan Hayward - are great though.
½ August 18, 2011
Vivid technicolor? A star cast? Cecil B. DeMille directing? An octopus? Those were all things I heard about when hearing about epic "Reap the Wild Wind". This is actually and shockingly my first movie made by pioneer DeMille, and I think this will be the start of a beautiful friendship! This movie is bound to be good when you get Ray Milland, John Wayne, Paulette Goddard, Susan Hayward, Robert Preston, and Charles Bickford all in the same movie. While I love them all and I love them in it, this film just DID NOT do it for me! Though I still liked it in certain areas like the special effects, the color, and cast, there are just some things that don't always make better of mistakes. This movie is a teeny bit on the cheesy side in my opinion, and trust me, I've seen many big epics like this such as "Wake of the Red Witch" and "Blood and Sand" but none are like this. I think what this movie was missing was good dialogue and plot. While I was expecting a no- nonsense action movie, instead I got a sea drama/law film with a hint of adventure towards the end. Considering this is a two-hour movie, it really is hard to wait that long for some Technicolor fun. I do add the star because of the other good factors I mentioned earlier, but other than that, this is really a two-star movie. Based on recommendations, I would say better sea movies would be the Errol Flynn masterpiece, "The Sea Hawk", or other fun colorful Tyrone Power swashbuckler flick, "The Black Swan". "Reap the Wild Wind" isn't by any means bad, but it's certainly not what I was hoping to get.
½ June 29, 2011
Reap the Wild Wind is a lavish and colorful film. It is about clipper ships taking the shortest route between the Mississippi and the Atlantic but end up crashing on the shoals of Key West. Ray Milland and John Wayne give terrific performances. The script is well written with plenty of adventure. Cecil B. DeMille did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and adventure. Reap the Wild Wind is a must see.
½ May 23, 2011
Its technicolor artifice is interesting at times, but this is too long and hokey.
½ April 24, 2011
A big, colorful spectacle filled with stars and the usual DeMille flair for excess, and that includes the corny characters. The DVD cover has John Wayne and Susan Hayward featured first, though they are supporting players in this film. The lead is Paulette Goddard playing Loxi, an excessively excitable and emotionally impulsive woman in Key West who worries about the men on the ships moving through the nearby reefs. It seems all too convenient that a man named Cutler (Raymond Massey in a persistent sneer throughout) is right there to help with the cargo of these doomed ships. Loxi meets and falls in love with a captain of the most recent crashed ship - Captain Jack Stuart, who dreams of captaining a ship called the Southern Cross. Loxi does go to Charleston where she meets Stephen Tolliver (Ray Milland doing a Cary Grant impression) the heir to the shipping company and lawyer. He and Capt. Jack do not like each other. Tolliver however, does take a fancy to the free spirit Loxi. And then fitting into the story is Robert Preston as Cutler's brother who loves Loxi's cousin Drusilla (Susan Hayward - looking her best here). From here there is plenty of sea-faring adventure, fisticuffs, a giant squid and a little romance. However, this is no Gone with the Wind or even The Ten Commandments. The first hour is rather tedious and characters drawn so ridiculous it is tough to take Reap the Wild Wind seriously. It is beautiful to look at though.
March 11, 2011
Cecil B. DeMille did not disappoint. A good story about piracy around Florida West Key.
½ January 31, 2011
rather dull film, nothing particularily entertaining, though the underwater effects at the end are quite good
bbcfloridabound
March 22, 2010
I haven't watched many John Wayne films on DVD, mostly growing up and seeing them on TV, So this is a first. I don't think that the Duke was the main actor in this movie, think Ray Miland was Billed as Top Actor, but as The Duke rose to stardom, I think things changed. This is a Technicolor classic, and I still say that Technicolor was way ahead of its time and looks so much brighter then anything we have today. John Wayne plays Captain Jack Stuart pretty much a washed up ships captain because of sabotage within his own crew, but he falls in love with Susan Hayward who brings out the best in any man. A true Sea worthy adventure. Good classic to add to the collection, but only 3 stars.
January 20, 2010
John Wayne fights a squid! How cool is that!?
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
December 1, 2008
From Wayn'e Republic career. See him wrestle giant octopus.
jjnxn
October 22, 2008
Florid, over the top De Mille epic, is there any other kind?
The technicolor is vivid, the costumes are beautiful and the acting is enjoyably over the top, with the exception of Susan Hayward who, honey chile accent notwithstanding,
gives a sweet, real performance amongst all the scenery chewing.
October 13, 2008
amazing movie in technicolor glory