Red Shadow: Akakage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Shadow: Akakage Reviews

½ May 13, 2014
Can't really be taken seriously
½ May 13, 2014
little bit of a rubbish ninja, lets his girlfriend die. apart from that brill story and good action!
March 11, 2013
Luke-warm ninja comedy. Humdrum direction for the most part.
December 2, 2012
*insert a big sigh here* Masanobu Ando, what are you doing in here really ? Go and leave for actual movies please. Quick.
November 12, 2011
The Red Shadow leaps through some tonal shifts and inconsistencies, but his powerful ninpoucho allow him to be always fresh, if naive. Almost a touch of roaring sixties in nžnja pants.
August 22, 2010
Box art leads one to believe it's a serious ninja flick but, it is practically a comedy and not a very funny one at that. Production value is good but there's just too much goofiness despite a fairly serious storyline. Not sure what the makers were going for here and maybe they didn't either.
½ November 10, 2009
I watched this movie expecting a serious ninja film. However, after about 10 minutes I soon realized the movie was going to be somewhat campy or humorous.

The movie follows three ninjas: Aka kage (Red Shadow), Aoi Kage (Blue Shadow) and Asuka (the female ninja). The three ninjas are members of a special "Shadow" ninja clan that has armor and weapons made from a special metal that came from a fallen meteor. While the movie had its humorous and at times, silly moments, the film is enjoyable and acting well done. I recommend this film to anyone who likes ninja film without all the blood, gore and seriousness. Sometimes a cute girl and some ninja action is all you need. Aka Kage will not disappoint.
January 18, 2009
Another hip-hop mash-up of styles from the director of Samurai Fiction. Plenty of fun ninja traps and overwrought melodrama.
January 7, 2009
The first twenty minutes of this film was basically the Keystone Ninjas. I'm sorry, but I had understood that this was a movie about ninjas, and they seem to be the clumsiest people ever, prone to ridiculous slapstick moments. The main character has an unbreakable weapon that he hardly ever uses, and by the time the plot begins to make any sense, it's too late to salvage anything.
½ November 17, 2008
Above average kung-fu flick about three young ninjas who have been trained to engage in combat and run missions. It's two guys and one girl, so naturally, both pine for the woman, but then she dies, and the two guy friends are torn apart. Soon, war is afoot between villages and the two ninjas are forced to reunite again to help bring peace to the land. The film is a stylish and colorful send up to old-school kung-fu and samurai films. It incorporates a lot of funny humor, some great fight scenes, and an all around good story. I liked it.
½ July 17, 2008
Awesome new take on the kung-fu genre...rarely do we get to see ninja go at it...and this incorporates some awesome comedy, action, choregraphy...and somehow rhythmic gymnastics?
June 16, 2008
Highly recommend this one!
April 18, 2008
This movie had a few parts that were HILARIOUS but for the most part was extremely slow. Not as many camera effects as Samurai Fiction and the music was very industrial (much like you would hear in The Matrix). The costumes were pretty nifty and some of the set designs were creative, especially in the castle with all of the traps and mechanisms.
April 3, 2008
A fun ninja movie. This one got more style & certainly not your typical ninja-samurai action. I enjoyed it very much!
March 16, 2008
Another cool and fun movie by Hiroyuki Nakano. Fans of Samurai Fiction will feel right at home.
March 8, 2008
The best ninja movie I have ever seen. I'm not very credible on that, considering the fact I haven't seen many ninja movies. The plot was great and enjoyed every minute of it. Surprisingly had many funny parts in it.
January 29, 2008
very good looking ninjas they actuuly look cool and thats very hard to pull off, good blend of comedy, but the fight scenes lack wich is a serious downfall
January 27, 2008
A shoestring budget and wooden acting conspire against it, but its silliness struck a chord, and I'm a sap anyway.
January 8, 2008
I like ninja movies as much as anyone, but this one lacks the fighting scenes and sleek of the normal serious ninja movies I have come to love and expect. The movie runs along the same fashion as "Samurai Fiction" with its action and comedy. The photography is lacking in that they try to show fights and intricate details at night using filters instead of correct lighting.
January 4, 2008
Not nearly as good as Samurai Fiction, but it has it's moments.