Red Tails - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Tails Reviews

May 29, 2015
When the 332 Fighter Group, usually known as the Tuskegee Airmen, started flying bomber escort missions in May of 1944, much of the Luftwaffe's front line combat strength had already been decimated, largely as a result of Operation Pointblank, which reached its peak during Operation Argument, Big Week, February 20-26. This was a focused attempt, largely the brainchild of Jimmy Doolittle, to savage Germany's aircraft industry and decimate its fighter squadrons. It went into full scale during January of 1944, and ended in April, as bomber missions then started a concentrated campaign to cut Germany's supply of oil and to cripple its transportation infrastructure prior to D-Day. The Tuskegee fliers took no part in it. During that period, the Eighth Air Force's top pilots ( based in England , and under Doolittle's command ), Francis Gabreski, Robert Johnson and Don Gentile scored 10, 15 and 19 kills on Luftwaffe fighters, respectively. John Godfrey, Gentile's wingman, shot down 6 ( incidentally, the Gentile/Godfrey team was the most famous fighter pairing of World War 2 ). To make this as clear as possible, between January and April of 1944, these four pilots downed half as many planes as the entire 332nd did IN ITS FULL YEAR OF FLYING ESCORT MISSIONS ! Contrary to the film's adolescent dramatics, fighters were directed to seek out and pursue German fighters BEFORE THEY COULD REACH THE BOMBERS ! Dead Germans could not hurt the bombers, and bomber losses to fighters plummeted throughout 1944 ( however, German flak got much worse, as 88mm guns were pulled from the Russian Front to protect German cities). Likewise, accompanying bombers over target areas made no sense for our fighters, as German fighters usually struck before and after the B17s and B24s hit their industrial targets SO AS NOT TO BE SHOT DOWN BY THEIR OWN FLAK ! Flying over target thus put fighters at unnecessary risk from flak, which they had no power over during escort missions. Regarding the Curtis P 40 ( which is loudly complained about in the movie by 332nd pilots ), British, Australian and South African pilots were very successful against Axis fighters with them in North Africa ( Clive Caldwell , top Aussie Ace, notched 20 kills with the P 40 before being transferred to the Pacific ). At the same time the 332nd was receiving P 51s, The Flying Tigers (14th Air Force ) were still overwhelmingly dependent on P 40s, using them to great effect the spring of 1944 to thwart the Japanese Ichi-Go Offensive in China, not completely converting to P 51 Mustangs until June of 1945. CONCLUSION : The only way to enjoy this movie is by knowing little about WW2, nothing about the air war, less than nothing about the war in the Mediterranean, and much less than nothing about the air war in the MTO. Spielberg has colluded to insult every other American fighter group, especially the other six ( 1st, 14th, 82nd---all flying P38s---31st, 52nd, and 325th ---all flying P51s the last year of the war ) that served the Fifteenth Air Force along with the 332nd. Those six groups downed over 1,400 Axis planes, on average each credited with twice as many kills as The Tuskegee guys. GOT THE PICTURE ? Read The Forgotten Fifteenth by Barrett Tillman for more insights !
½ May 15, 2015
Lo único por lo que merece la pena es por las batallas aéreas. El resto es una historia mas bien normalita
½ May 4, 2015
Red tails has a good amount of charm and proficiency in filming and acting, But it's thin story/characters, and semi weak script make it difficult to recommend.
½ April 6, 2015
(62%)
With fairly low expectations beforehand, this I found to be a better than I had been lead to believe. Most I'm guessing were put off by the sheer old fashioned way in which this tells its story. The dialogue, plot and performances are simple and to the point, and yes more than a little cheesy at times, but it's very hard to make a film centred around war heroes and for it not to be a little too flag wavy or corny in places. Despite the rank simplicity I liked the characters, I found the romantic sub-plot sweet, and the action sequences are plentiful, exciting, and well shot. Quite honestly of all the so-called miss-hits of recent years, this is maybe the best I've seen and as such this gets a decent recommendation from me.
March 29, 2015
I like this movie. It had good actors and did a good job in portraying the true story of the Tuskegee Airmen.
½ March 28, 2015
Good entertainment, but this just feels like an extremely commercialised depiction of a flying unit in World War II, and never feels genuine.
½ March 27, 2015
150327: A lot of bad acting, coupled with a load of good action, balance each other out to make a mediocre movie.
March 26, 2015
It took Lucas 20 years to make this flick? He should've kept it on the shelf at Skywalker Ranch..
½ March 23, 2015
You can tell George Lucas had his hands all over this, because it's genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I'm not even exaggerating in the slightest. It's corny, stiff, scenes seem to get randomly cut short before they're resolved, and it's written atrociously. I think my favourite line was when the mustache-twirling evil Nazi shouted, "Die, you foolish African!".
Incredible.
March 1, 2015
Very cool movie would definitely watch again.
½ February 15, 2015
Whilst being fairly accurate, historically, with an important story that needed to be told the movie is at best average. The dialogue is worthy of Star Wars and the use of CGI in the aerial scenes is overused and poor. Seeing this movie reminds me just how good 'The Battle of Britain' and 'Tora, Tora, Tora' are.
February 7, 2015
Weak movie only saved by some great aerial combat scenes.
½ January 17, 2015
Good movie, I enjoyed this one and the true story it told about the Tuskegee airman and the internal battles they faced among their own men in WWII.
½ December 31, 2014
This movie is not just an insult to black Americans, it is an insult to humanity.
December 30, 2014
Great effects and action scenes: Red Tails has the same problems the Star Wars prequels had.
½ December 26, 2014
The acting was nothing special. There were a few decent action scenes, but nothing special. Kinda a forgettable movie.
½ December 22, 2014
Red Tails means well and delivers intense air sequences, but is grounded by tons of awful cliches, uninteresting characters, and uneven pacing.
December 22, 2014
So Red Tails isn't a very good movie.
Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I'm a pretty big history buff, especially when it comes to the history of warfare. I'm quite familiar with conflicts the likes of World War II, and in that regard I guess I judge films set within these events more critically than others. The story of the 332nd combat squadron, the Red Tails, is nothing short of epic, powerful, and would serve as the perfect historical criteria to make a film out of. This movie, however, doesn't really capitalize on that. Apart from a few cool dogfight sequences, the whole film is pretty dull, and has some less than stellar performances, and pointless subplots that don't really go anywhere. My inner historian tore more than a few scenes apart, and the whole tone of the film came off to me more as a light hearted adventure, as opposed to the truly remarkable story these men wrote in history. The characters also never really felt as if they were in any danger when in the heat of combat, and even if they were, it's not like I would have cared, being that I barely gave a shite about the characters in general.
It is evident that the filmmakers' hearts were in the right place, but they still failed to bring a remarkable, epic tale to life from the pages of history.
½ December 14, 2014
Conspicuously absent: Bombad General Jar-Jar Binks.