Red 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red 2 Reviews

February 11, 2016
Blah sequel to the decent but ultimately forgettable original. Too many characters and little action.
February 10, 2016
Great movie with a really good story and each character was fun to watch in their own way. The directer did a great job in giving each character enough action to make them all lovable. Some really great scenes. 5/5
February 6, 2016
this looks like one interesting movie to watch.
February 4, 2016
Red 2. Follow on from the first which was amazing. Retired cia/black ops agent Frank Moses (willis) has the task of reuniting his old team of operatives after the threat of a missing nuclear device.
The on-slaught continues from the first movie and the group are plagued assassins, terrorists and government officials.
Wits, skills and each other to rely upon to stop the terrorists. Malkovich, Parker and Mirren along with Hopkins and Zeta-Jones make this movie old school but fun to watch. Comedy with action in built.
January 23, 2016
A solid follow up to Red with equal amounts action, comedy, and fun. A great cast and a movie both my wife and I enjoy. Malkovich is hysterical as always.
½ January 22, 2016
Not as good as first one. Lost some it charm
But still better them some action flicks
Good for rent but that about it
½ January 18, 2016
zeta Jones is awful, she not made a good film in ten years. she likes appearing in box office flops
January 17, 2016
I hardly got through the first one, and I really tried to suffer through the second one, but just couldn't. I love retail, but even Bruce Willis act like he's never been to a Costco before in the very first scene is painful to watch, and then BAM!, something explodes...count me out.
½ January 16, 2016
My kind of movie! Lots of action, some humor and a good plot will keep me entertained all day. Loved Byung-hun Lee role. All of the regular "Stars" were absolutely lovable ! Please do a RED 3.
January 1, 2016
Fun, but also forgettable.
December 26, 2015
This movie was such fun! And I kept laughing! If you like action movies and haven't seen this yet, you should. (Also contains tasty fan-service)
½ December 23, 2015
Just as much fun as the first one - if I had to pick an action franchise starting veteran actors, I'd choose this over Expendables every time. However, watching this a month after the Paris attacks made the scenes set there a bit uncomfortable to watch.
December 21, 2015
Critics panned this but I enjoyed this. Good humour and action as retired secret agent gets dragged into finding a nuclear bomb
December 20, 2015
Red 2 at first caught me off guard a little; there I was thinking that it wasn't so bad at the beginning and that maybe people dislike this a bit too much, I was wrong. The second movie in the series is one of high octane action of which some could say the quota is pushed up in this one but it fails to make much a decent original plot and wastes the possible decent action-comedy this could have been. I must say for the record that I pretty much didn't like the first film, it was mediocre stuff really and the same for me applies here although this is generally much poorer than the first movie. Yet again starring Bruce Willis as Frank Moses, this time we see the gang of retirees and friends chase down a missing nuclear device of which such a thing could wipe out millions of people. That synopsis I just gave is the whole reason this is disappointing to me, it goes for the most over the top and yet most over used storyline ever.

This time the movie throws in Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta-Jones (yes they seem to have been casting in Wales) and both are really kind of not used well but at the same time do at least bring personality. It's not that either does not bring skill to the cast, particularly Hopkins as Dr Bailey who does actually play the role very nicely but both are used to create incredibly basic characters and I wish this plot and its characters could have been more new and fresh. In comes a few people we saw from the first film and they do help the plot a little but overall nothing can be done to stop this being pretty dumb really, even the decent action is edited in an awful way which for me is one of the biggest mistakes of this movie.

Dean Parisot was not the right choice for this movie as director; from a film perspective he has made comedies before but his work is not a good effort for this. See getting a director for this kind of movie you would think the reasonable choice would be someone with a good background in comedy and action or possibly both but you get neither here, by no means does Parisot ruin this, but he doesn't do a great deal right. The two Hoeber's who wrote the first film write again and yet again it feels like a script that could look good on paper but comes out poorly on the screen, yet again like with Parisot they don't destroy the film, just make it below-par stuff.

Listen I'm not going to tell you to completely not watch this, with the first instalment I felt it was a film that a lot of people could enjoy but with this although I felt it wasn't as good, it still is far from terrible. I have to admit parts of this are not all bad and some bits if you take away what's going on in the story can be exciting, overall though just not a solid enough effort. Oh yes and one other thing that really for me didn't work was not only the bad guys in this, but also the way in which this movie seems to play serious a second after being silly, it just means that when an actual decent bit of serious acting comes in, a very basic joke either precedes or succeeds it and it just doesn't feel right. All in all a comedy-action that never quite even reaches the average heights of it's predecessor, try as it may it still just feels stupid and the cast is wasted on yet another pointless adventure.
½ December 13, 2015
Even better than the first in my opinion, with the same great things from the first, and some more great humor.
December 12, 2015
A vast improvement on the first instalment, this utterly ridiculous action comedy steals from every franchise going, and is stuffed with in-jokes. What other movie would allow Helen Mirren (great) to reprise her Queen as a lunatic assassin, allow two Hannibal Lecters (Brian Cox in a daft purple hat, Anthony Hopkins channelling Harold Wilson) to enjoy a hug, and include John Malkovich dressed as Carmen Miranda to round things off? The actors have a ball, and Bruce Willis even reins in his trademark smirk. Good fun.
½ October 26, 2015
These characters are pretty fun, but this sequel is not as good as the original. And the original was just ok to begin with. The script for this movie is what really fails it. It seems to meander from one thing to another without making us care about anything along the way. I think I liked Mary Louise Parker's character the best. She plays the fish out of water pretty well. They probably should have just stuck with one Red movie though.
October 23, 2015
One of the few sequels that is actually as good as the original. I loved Red, and Red 2 has the same cast of interesting and likable characters, has a great story and is funny and entertaining. It ranks up there with some of my favorite movies. I can watch it over and over.
October 5, 2015
It's still very enjoyble, but it gets pretty over the top and has way too many twists for a comedic action movie. The cast is still great though.
½ August 30, 2015
150825: Had me laughing out of the gate. Such a great cast of stars, from the old to the new. Love Parker & McDonough. Great action.