Red Dragon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Dragon Reviews

July 19, 2016
God I wish something like this would have a 'cinematic universe' like the Marvel films. Because that's what it essentially is. It's a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, with many of the same charters, but with a different killer. I would love to see more movies like this in the same universe. Great acting, a terrifying and sympathetic villain, and great visuals. Please more of this.
July 15, 2016
Ray Fiennes and Anthony Hopkins produce good material. Some parts seem slow and dreary, but that is Manhunter AHEM! Red dragon!
½ June 4, 2016
I would have to say this movie is better than 'Hannibal'. Everything is great even though it is like 'Silence of the Lambs'.
June 2, 2016
Brilliant, transformative psychological drama. Anthony Hopkins is startlingly creepy, yet sharp as Hannibal.
May 21, 2016
It feels very old for a 2002 movie. I can imagine it would be better if you haven't seen the TV show Hannibal. Anthony Hopkins was obviously good, but they didn't use him very much, and when they did use him, he just felt like a pawn, like something they used to bring people in to seeing the movie. Edward Norton is a good actor, but I have seen the TV show and I just think Hugh Dancy is better! All the supporting cast was pretty forgettable, except Jack Crawford was a little better, and the actor playing him was good, but obviously Laurence Fishburne is better. Even if you haven't seen the show, just knowing Fishburne is in it and plays Crawford is enough. This is a good crime thriller, but just an alright "Hannibal Lecter" movie, and obviously not superior to the excellent Silence of the Lambs! But I did like this movie overall. It didn't feel too long, but it could have been shorter. I think my favorite part is the last scene, it really ties into Silence of the Lambs, and makes it feel like the first in a series, or I guess technically a prequel since it came out after. Definitely worth watching if you liked Lambs, or if you're fans of Norton or Hopkins!
May 21, 2016
A worthy sequel with great performances.
½ May 7, 2016
Number 2 of 4 in this popular Hannibal Lecter series, but I'd say it's the weakest of the bunch definitely. It's set quite a way after the previous film, where Dr Lecter is all grown up, been committing crimes for a while and has just been sentenced to life imprisonment in the infamous cell of the mental hospital. On this occasion, it's the man responsible for his capture that comes out of retirement to pick up the chase for another sadistic killer called the 'Tooth Fairy', who it is thought has a connection with Lecter. Months after their last encounter, the two men from opposite sides of the law reunite in psychological warfare with the FBI agent attempting to interpret Lecter's endless riddles and warped mind as a means of finding clues to the identity and whereabouts of this new threat on the scene. It's very much along the lines of Silence of the Lambs in its plot, what with the Tooth Fairy acting as an alternative to Buffalo Bill. I just don't think the former is a strong enough villain though and by making him what seemed the prime bad guy ahead of Hannibal, seemed a detrimental thing to do. Hopkins character is one of the most gripping characters in film history, and his every word and movement is sinister to the max. I love this iconic role but his involvement was too secondary for my liking and the overall story suffered as a result. It's still a good watch as these films are some of my all time greats but it's notably not on a par with any of the others. To its credit, it does lead nicely into the more famous 3rd chapter of the tale and pieces the jigsaw together quite nicely. Im sure there's still room for another episode to be released, perhaps with a middle aged Lecter taking to our screens, but I would worry that further instalments would really start to degrade what is an amazing sequence of films.
April 10, 2016
Not as subtle as The Silence of the Lambs but this is a reviting and well made thrill ride with a brilliant cast
April 5, 2016
Silence of the lambs and Hannibal are just overrated crap. But this is a very scary movie. It is one of the scariest movies of all time. The 80's version of this movie Manhunter was pretty good. This one is better. This is the best Hannibal movie. Very scary.
½ March 20, 2016
Not as good as MANHUNTER
January 17, 2016
Better than Manhunter? I personally think so, Red Dragon is dark, clever, and thrilling, a great prequel to Silence of The Lambs.
January 7, 2016
Appearing to be almost a mirror to The Silence of the Lambs, making it a lesser work, but nonetheless witty and well-made.
December 26, 2015
Red dragon is really good! Idk y the reviews are only moderate
½ December 21, 2015
Clever, thrilling and disturbingly engaging.
December 17, 2015
This was a good movie. Blond!Norton threw me off the entire movie, which made it distracting, but it was good. Not as good as Silence of the Lambs by any means, though. It's possible I'm judging it more harshly because I so vastly prefer Hugh Dancy's Will Graham to Ed Norton's..... /shrug
October 24, 2015
After watching Hannibal Season 3, it is very surprising how similar the movie and TV show is. However, I should give credit where credit is due, even if the TV show did it better. Red Dragon is probably Brett Ratner's best movie, and it's probably because it doesn't feel like a Ratner movie, for the most part. The acting is fantastic, specifically from Hopkins and Fiennes. Hopkins dominates as Hannibal Lector once again, even though his story feels very similar to Silence of the Lambs. Norton is great as Will Graham, and even if I prefer Hugh Dancy, he still has some fantastic moments. Ralph Fiennes is the standout as the Red Dragon Francis Dolarhyde. He is creepy, tense, and every scene he is in is eerie as heck. Richard Armitage may still outdo him, but Fiennes still stands as the best part of the movie. The movie at times feels like a wannabe Silence of the Lambs, and caters to fans of the books alot. I feel like Hannibal fans will like this movie more than casual watchers. I am a Hannibal fan, and I enjoy this interpretation of this fantastic story. It's no Silence and it's no Bryan Fuller Hannibal, but it certainly stands as one of the better Hannibal movies. 8.25/10
½ October 17, 2015
Um entretenimento suficiente decente, que se mantém próximo ao romance. Edward Norton num papel interessante apesar de nao ser dos seus melhores
½ October 15, 2015
A great movie. It was creepy and engaging. But, some monologues and characters are just so forget able
½ September 28, 2015
If history had taught us anything, it was that this trilogy was bound to head into ludicrous territory, with an abundance of over acting, weak scripting and a complete misinterpretation of the source material, Harris fans should probably avoid Red Dragon like the plague. As mentioned in my review of Manhunter, the original outing by Michael Mann, the television show of Hannibal has completely shown up his and MGM's work on the much beloved franchise, it is clear as day Bryan Fueller's passion and love for the material was catered to in his final season, which spanned the 1st and 3rd outings of the books, really bringing a huge amount of detail to the characters, mixed with a strong script, visual delight and of course outstanding performances I would strongly recommend checking the show out and completely missing everything from Hannibal onwards, hell ever watch Manhunter, its not the best representation of the novel but its a far superior movie than this crap. Red Dragon follows detective Will Graham as he rushes against the clock to find a serial killer who is obsessed with William Blake's creation The Red Dragon. As Graham gets closer, the killer soon places his sights on him, leaving Will no choice but to hunt him down, with help from his old buddy Hannibal Lecter of course. Now the best and quite frankly only decent thing about this film is the attention given here, in comparison to Manhunter, Red Dragon spends a lot more effort really spelling out the importance of Blake, Hannibal Lecter and of course adding shape to Francis Dolarhyde, which is of course welcomed. What isnt welcomed is Brett Ratner failing, in spectacular fashion, to even portraying this extremely intellectual subject matter in any form of light, apart from melodramatically. The acting in this film is utterly shambolic from just about everyone, Hopkins is atrocious as Lecter, phoning is his performance this time, after getting the previous outings so mixed. Edward Norton is laughable as Will Graham, Hugh Dancy literally over shadows him by just staring at a camera, never mind opening his mouth. Ralph Finnes is shocking over the top as Dolarhyde, Keitel is just bad as Crawford and Philip Seymour Hoffman just doesnt bother doing anything as Lounds. In fact Emily Watson is about the only decent thing in here, but that's not saying much, she could have yawned her way throughout her performance and still achieved something better than her fellow cast. I'll give the visuals credit as they look polished, compared to the rest of the trilogy, that doesnt make them good shots, in fact the framing and shot selection is utterly boring, more so than usual. The edit is running so quickly, no character or moment has a chance to breathe, we plummet towards out destination without any reflection, any down time, any form of suspense, leaving us laughing uncontrollably at how bad the performances soon become. I will not grace this film with anymore of my time, it doesnt deserve it. It is lazy, boring, laughable and without a doubt the worst take on this material. Watch Manhunter or indeed Hannibal (Television Show).