Red Garters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Garters Reviews

March 11, 2017
Paramount tries to invade MGM musicals-land in this highly-stylized, colorful original screen musical; a lackluster score and lusterless leading roles, played by pop stars Rosemary Clooney and Guy Mitchell, sink the film.
½ October 25, 2012
Great classic comedy western musical
June 9, 2010
I saw this on the big screen when it first came out. I enjoyed it though I did find it strange. What I remember is super primary colour Technicolor and very surreal skeletal sets of the buildings in the town. Then there was Rosemary Clooney who, at the time . . . well, look at the DVD cover. I only recently traced this down and find that Paramount has discontinued the film from their catalog. Now if I want to see this it's going to cost me. Too bad. I hope it gets re-released soon, because I would like to see it again. I hope it doesn't jar my fond memories too much. (NEW) I managed to get a copy of this and watch it again. I think this movie was way ahead of its time because it seems to make more sense now after having seen films by Fellini, Altman, Anderson and others. This movie took full advantage of technicolor. At the very beginning there is a statement that the movie is a complete fiction of the old west. This is a very broad musical comedy in which all the songs integrate very well with the very broad plot. Other than songs that are sung by the ensemble cast there are three people who sing solo or in duets, Rosemary Clooney, Guy Mitchell and Joanne Gilbert. The songs are good, the plot moves along quickly, the acting is over the top and the mood is always kept light. All the buildings are painted white and they are skeletal and see through. The main exteriors are done in yellow with a yellow sky with suggestions of plants and trees. When the action moves to an interior the background lighting changes to red or blue to indicate being inside. At any rate I had a good time with this and I'm glad I got to see it again.
½ February 7, 2010
It's no accident that there's a color in the title. The minimalist set design here (as well as some of the costumes) is just stunning work, all skeletal frames and pieces of furniture in front of big blocks of color. As soon as I saw that Crayola yellow sand in the first scene that matched the color of the sky I knew I was in for something special.
January 21, 2010
Now this is a sublime oddity: an experimental Musical-Western shot in technicolor. The sets are wildly expressionistic and totally divorced from realism. Without a doubt, this is one of the most aesthetically radical Studio films I've sever seen.
½ March 11, 2009
Not interesting for me to finish watching the movie
jjnxn
½ January 13, 2009
Highly, really overly, stylized western musical spoof. Some good performers and decent songs but so fake , except when Rosemary Clooney sings her solos, its uninvolving.
May 7, 2007
Gerore Clooney's Aunt...
December 11, 2006
i would like to see this