Red Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Hill Reviews

April 25, 2016
This film is an intense thiller which has a fantastic first third, the other two thirds, are still interesting and gripping, however they didn't have the same level of brilliance.
½ January 4, 2016
Beautifully shot, showing off Australia's wonderful landscape. Fantastic score by Dmitri Golovko gives this Aussie western attempt a neat pace, with Kwanten strong as the hero.
August 2, 2015
This movie didn't really go anywhere for me. Felt too clichéd; small town out in the wops with a dark secret due to their backwards ways. Nothing much new here. Ryan Kwanten is lovely to stare at though.
June 28, 2015
A person can only suspend so much disbelief.
May 9, 2015
Old fashioned, taut, enjoyable.
October 4, 2014
The real victim was me for watching it all the way through.
September 24, 2014
NOT a WESTERN Get off the list
½ August 6, 2014
You could be forgiven for thinking this is a Clint Eastwood style period set western and that's exactly what I thought it was upon seeing the poster design and film title, in fact its set in the present day and is more of a homage to westerns. Being set in the arid merciless Aussie outback of course does make it more of cowboy than cop thriller for sure.

The film is pretty unoriginal lets be honest about it, the layout and events are nothing new and do smell strongly of certain saddle bound Eastwood adventures but again..lets be honest here, its a damn good Aussie version of certain saddle bound Eastwood adventures. Beating around no bushes this is a strong violent retribution/revenge thriller that almost kinda boarders on 'The Terminator' in some building and street sequences with its light-less settings, strong shadows and mute anti hero killer.

From the start you know something is amiss with the local police force and their gruff leader 'Old Bill', you can kinda tell what will happen really but it doesn't detract from the fun of the film one bit. The cast are unknown to me but pretty big in Oz. Bisley as 'Old Bill' is perfect and really comes across well as the hardened no nonsense chief whilst Lewis is great as the mute aboriginal gunman who at first is intimidating, almost robotic like in his swift killings, but you know all is not as it seems.

The lead Kwanten does sort of over act towards the finale as he goes from being a regular guy to a strong stern voiced gunman brewing over with cliches but you feel the tenseness of the finale and you find yourself glued to the screen. Nothing really new to the table here but the whole film looks good and is well acted with a trusted source in the nasty revenge genre to always get the juices flowing, maybe some more nastiness to really bring home the need for revenge was needed though.

Highly recommended and much better fair than the usual over hyped glossy Hollywood guff that was 'No Country for Old Men', this is gritty and more down to earth with realistic characters. The Oz factor of course helps this hugely. Still not so sure what the panther subplot was all about though, why was it needed? oh well.
½ June 5, 2014
Red Hill is well shot and at times entertaining but it feels like more of a horror film than a western
½ March 29, 2014
A very well shot and entertaining Aussie modern-day western horror. The performances are solid, especially Steve Bisley on fine form, and the movie has some heart to go with the action. And even if the plot is a little old hat and been done before, this is still a very worthy watch.
March 2, 2014
Australian films are always weird but this one was pretty good. I wasn't expecting the ending to be honest and found it quite sad at the end. Decent thriller, worth a watch
½ February 25, 2014
Atmospheric and very watchable
January 28, 2014
A triumph. Director, Patrick Hughes crafts a fiery directional debut with extraordinary landscapes, chilling story, explosive action and thrilling suspense. Hughes writes, edits, produces and crafts this fine and remarkable example of a modern western stripped to a morality tale. A terrific Australian film that's pumped up with great character development, well-executed action and mystery to make this a memorable and surprisingly effective revenge tale. A taut and first-rate thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the final frame. An exhilarating and pulse-racing thrill-ride. A great cast of Australian talent that truly makes an impression. Ryan Kwanten gives a riveting and utterly compelling performance. Steve Bisley is excellent. Tom E. Lewis is a force of nature, he has all but six lines in the film but bring an intense and chilling presence to his character.
½ December 23, 2013
I swear this is a revenge horror film disguised as a western, man!

Proudly R-rated, Red Hill is an atmospheric Australian western that turns the tables upside down halfway through, changing its genre and making you hide behind your seat. Hell, even Tom E. Lewis as the "villain" Jimmy Conway could have been an iconic horror figure if this film had been released in the 80s. Moreover, this film would be immediately labeled as "horror" if there were only knives and chainsaws instead of guns. So that's how thin the line is between a genre and another, huh?

Unfortunately, acting is average and screenwriting is very poor, with very clichéd moments and with an almost nonexistent connection between the protagonist Shane Cooper and his family. That topic is barely treated, so his family serves as a background of an excuse. Still, with a pack of beers, a bunch of friends and a stormy night, this should provide great entertainment. I hope this kind of efforts keeps appearing because: a) the Aussie industry has talent (especially in the cult horror department) and b) we simply need more westerns! Keep trying.

December 11, 2013
Though Hughes overplays his directorial hand occasionally, Red Hill is still the finest Australian western since The Proposition. One hell of a film, I say SEE IT!!!
November 25, 2013
Dear Red Hill. I like you. Fondest wishes, Gimly... Ahem, just thought I'd make my opinion pretty straight forward from the get go.

It's Australian, so points. It's got tonnes o' blood and night skies, so points. An Aboriginal with a half a face actually kills someone with a boomerang (there you go Luke, apparently it is possible!), so points. There's lots of fire, but no explosions, so points. The executive producer is Greg McLean (the kid behind Wolf Creek and Rogue) so points. Plus, it's entertaining!

And I mean come on, Steve Bisley's in the damn thing! (the guy who played Goose in Mad Max, as well as starring in Summer City, Newsfront, A Town Like Alice, Silver City, The Flying Doctors, Water Rats). Ryan Kwanten (The Knights of Badassdom, Griff the Invisible, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, Don't Fade Away, Dead Silence, Flicka, Water Rats, Spellbinder: The Dragon Lord, Tru Calling, Rake, True Blood) and Tom E. Lewis (above - The Proposition, Crocodile Dreaming, The Flying Doctors, The Naked Country, Robbery Under Arms, The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith) make their presence known as the protagonist and antagonist respectively.

It's a little crazy, some sort of... Horror/Crime/Thriller/Western hybrid with a couple of comedic moments. Not that it's a comedy, or cheesy, just a bit funny once or twice... Like! There's this one bit where... Nah, better not ruin it. It's good though! Fuckin' watch it, alright?

The score's great, one of the better I've heard lately. Though some of the more extreme Western elements bothered me (like quick-draws, horseback cops and white cowboy hats, etc.) I was more than willing to forgive these, after all, we as Australians are not yet in a position in the film industry where we can afford not to pander to the Yanks.

First time Director Patrick Hughes certainly is somebody I'll be looking out for in the future, if this first effort is anything to go by. Red Hill is imaginative, clever, bold, no-nonsense and entirely watchable film that I'm more than happy to have in my collection. I wasn't blown away, it was no fresh new thing I'd never see coming, but Bisley's screen presence and the general non-stop awesomeness makes Red Hill it one of the better productions we Australians have unleashed onto the world.

November 7, 2013
Really good! Must see! An Australian Western in modern times. As the review states, it is beautifully shot, taut with suspense, proving Ryan Kwanten is much more than Sookie's brother.
November 5, 2013
rather mundane affair that could've done with a fair few more script editor sessions. Characters are made of cardboard, storyline is predictable and the black panther subplot is convoluted. A few half-good scenes, ie the one in the coolroom, threaten to lift this film a notch above average, but it all collapses again with the rather pompous finale at the haystack. Bisley has done much better than this, Kwanten is ok
½ October 10, 2013
Billy from 'Neighbours' kicks ass in this wonderfully bizarre Australian Western.
October 1, 2013
2/10: A poorly-plotted, morally simplistic, revenge tale. Poor acting all round. A thoroughly disengaging experience. Waste of time.