Red Lights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Lights Reviews

March 27, 2016
Watched this on Netflix, the first 45 minutes got me going, I was expecting two science detective trying to solve unsolvable misteries, and kind of reminded me of James Randi's work, for those who do not know Randi, he used to be a Magician who has dedicated most of his life dissaproving and uncovering frauds, but then Cillian Murphy's characters gets real wacky in the second half, much of the unexplained phenomena ocurring with De Niro cannot be explained, or why Murphy's characters gets into screwy situations, and then when all gets convoluted at the end, we get a plot twist, that is not necessarily bad, but it could have been done way better. It if was me the first half of the movie would have been 90% good, but the second half keeps doings mistakes mistakes mistakes until if falls of a cliff, too bad i really like Cillian Murphy as an actor and they wasted the talented Robert DeNiro;s time, not too mention, elizabeth olsen's was innecesary to the film at all.
½ February 11, 2016
"It was all a dream" would have been a better ending.
½ December 30, 2015
Starts off good but sadly loses momentum half way though the film....
½ December 2, 2015
The first weakness in this film that stood out was Murphy's over acting. There were several points in the film when his exuberance just didn't seem to find place, such as when Margaret died. There is no indication that Buckley is close to her nor that he is a rend garments, sack clothe and ashes kinda guy. Another major issue is the under-utilization of De Niro. There was nothing in his character that really pushed his natural talent. Dozens of lesser actors could have easily filled the role. Finally, from the outset the film lacks the energy and intrigue to capture the viewers attention. It just doesn't have the depth needed to draw the viewer in, mostly attributed to a plot that is limiting. Debunking psychics and such is not the thing of which epic films are made. Thin plot, odd directing choices, and uninteresting characters sinks this one from the outset.
October 24, 2015
It's a talented cast and a decent set up but Red Lights doesn't the pay off it promises with its main character focus shift in the second half and a twist ending that is a clever use of plot but a stretch to believe.
½ October 21, 2015
What an awful mess! Edited with a Lawn mower and possessing an " I don't care " feeling throughout! Terrible.
October 4, 2015
Really cool. I seriously enjoyed this film. Great acting by Murphy, De Niro, and especially Sigourney Weaver. Suspenseful and worth seeing. I really enjoyed this film's ending too.
September 16, 2015
Maybe more like a 5.75, which is unfortunate, because the movie kind of lost it at the end due to disjointed execution. It was a good idea and just needed some more tweaking.
August 27, 2015
I have yet to reach the end... but it has taken forever for this whole film to add up to anything. The cinematography works, as does the basic production design, but the story does not. The character arc completely threw me off, as Cilliam Murphy's character seemed to arc for absolutely no apparent reason. Even if the ending does wrap this whole thing up... the 1.5 hours to reach that point, were bad.
It's never a good sign, when you are already to grade something, before it's even finished. I've seen as much as I want to care about... and I am finishing this movie, just for the sake of finishing it... but I don't care about it's ending either way.
½ August 3, 2015
Red Lights features talented actors in a worthless film
July 6, 2015
Movie held my interest & really surprised at the end. Loved Cillian Murphy.
April 29, 2015
Stunning performance by Cillian Murphy. The twist at the end may be abrupt and not satisfying to most but perhaps that is exactly how it was supposed to be...to come suddenly, at the last minute, and just leaving everything else in the air. It was an entertainment movie and as such it did entertain me for the whole time I was watching it. but of course Cillian's acting was the greatest incentive to see the movie through. He's a brilliant actor and quite beautiful too.
½ April 20, 2015
This movie started off very good, though I sensed a preachy ending. But immediately after Sigourney Weaver died it got crappy. Within about 3 minutes the star almost hit a truck, almost hit a woman, got scared by a phone, a horn, the same woman, a camera, a guard, a nightmare and the lights going out, all in separate, completely unrelated incidences. I couldn't finish watching it. It was like the ghost of M Night Shyamalan's career crapped all over it. 3 minutes of movie made the entire thing not worth watching.
½ April 20, 2015
Not too bad. Kinda nice little twist at the end, could of got into it more. Not great but not horrible.
½ April 5, 2015
Enjoyed this Mysterious movie the second time now , liked it more then the first time , more awake i guese ...not some critics , do those moviecriticasters get paid for watching movies ???By my thoughts they hit the ball totally wrong so many times , whatever ...Glad everybody has different taste !
½ April 1, 2015
An amazing cast gives it their all in a film that just can't keep up with its talent. With an intriguing first act that promises a great mystery, it's a big letdown once the halfway point of the film hits and it starts its decline. With a tighter script/pacing and a less "in your face" twisty ending, I think it may have been a great film. Ultimately it ends up being "so-so". C
½ March 24, 2015
Thriller which take us to a new part that has not spoken in many movies but, in the latter stages it deviate from the theme like a runaway train.
March 4, 2015
I liked this film. What wasn't to like? A great cast gave excellent performances in a film with a good, suspenseful screenplay and stylish filming. I'm going to seek out Cortes other work now.
½ December 20, 2014
Great potential but terrible ending ruined what had been a gripping thriller.