Red Sands - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Sands Reviews

½ January 29, 2016
This was the worst ever. One of the absolute worst films that I have ever seen in my life and intensely boring, I was constantly struggling to watch this film without falling apart. The plot makes no sense at all, regardless of the textual beginning. It doesn't explain anything and the characters are just weird and annoying, you don't really care for anyone except for maybe the weird, awkward, and not girl. Everyone is overly angry or has issues and I don't even know what they were trying to go for. A really terrible was drama with a curse? There's quite a few of these horror, monster angle Iraq / Afghan middle-east war films. It's a really awkward sub-genre. Most of those other ones did better than they did here.
June 6, 2014
Not a bad story, but it wasn't really scary enough, therefore it's just not quite there!
April 5, 2013
Oh dear, nice idea very poorly excecuted.
October 16, 2012
After watching the first half I couldn't watch anymore. Pass.
½ May 30, 2012
I really really am not sure what I just spent an hour and a half watching. US Soldiers in the desert stir up something evil. . way to go guys!
½ March 7, 2012
Just boring except some scenes
½ December 2, 2011
Don't waste your time.
September 9, 2011
On the plus side it has West, Simmons and Blue in the cast list which is good as I like all three.

It could have been really good if done correctly but it wasn't, I liked the staff sergeant going mad, paranoia is always a great thing in a movie. The idea of djinn's was cool but they looked absolutely ridiculous, cool scene with West being dragged through the sand though but all in all its a very poor film.
May 10, 2011
A very bog standard horror/thriller that feels like a low budget attempt to be "Event Horizon". A group of unconvincing characters wander around two or three small sets whilst being "haunted" by visions.

The "monster" isnt very scary or effective and in the end, it's quite hard to figure out what is going on. Shane West is bland as the movie's leading man whilst TV stalwarts Callum Blue and Theo Rossi are left with nothing to work with.

Best avoided like Djin
March 1, 2011
A squad of American soldiers are stationed in a remote part of Afghanistan when one of them uses an ancient statue for target practice, unknowingly unleashing a Djinn. They soon hole up in an abandoned building, where their communication system goes down and an unknown Arab woman comes out of the desert storm. After her discovery, strange things start to happen to the soldiers, causing them to hallucinate.

Red Sands was a surprisingly good psychological film. Each character deals with his own fear and we're subjected to the slow deterioration of their psyches. The Djinn doesn't become readily available to us until the end of Red Sands and when it does, it sort of throws off a weak vibe. Luckily, it only appears on the screen for about half a minute. Most of the killing comes from the soldiers on eachother, which sort of makes the appearance of the Djinn kind of useless. The audience wouldn't have noticed the difference if it made itself completely scarce. Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Each character kept the film in a steady-pace and wasn't rushed in the slightest. I was thoroughly intrigued with the whole layout of the film until the final scene came into play which provided a nice little twist to the storyline. Granted, it was a bit predictable, but nonetheless, a fine ending to an interesting film.
½ December 31, 2010
poor plot, poor acting, poor movie
November 22, 2010
Unimpressive horror war film.
½ November 17, 2010
Pigainete sto Wc...kai perimenete na teleiosei
½ September 22, 2010
Bided some time, but nothing much to recommend here. All centres around a group of military soldiers who are sent to guard a road in the desert (which i don't think exists), only to get bored on their travels and shoot a statue. This supposedly releases a djinn, which can take the form of a human lifeform, that then stalks the group up until a highly predictable ending. The film starts with a shot of the end sequence, so you know who supposedly survives within 5 minutes, and this spoils the plot somewhat, as you can predict the ending very easily. I got completely lost midway through this, as although it may have been the idea to baffle the viewers with the uncertainty surrounding the djinn's lifeform, it made it difficult to follow, and not very thrilling (especially with the multiple flashbacks that kept occuring). It wasn't scary, or gruesome, but just a tame horror which went through the motions of whittling the cast down from 7 to 1 in an uneventful 90 mins. Only the acting provided a positive note to this film.
½ September 15, 2010
I'll be honest, I only watched because I saw JK Simmons name on the cast list, a mere cameo... the movie itself, 'a missed opportunity' for want of a better term, could've been great... wasn't... (one of those stars is for the great JK!)...
August 21, 2010
this movie is to slow. they didn't even show tha bad guy (evil spirit) until the end.
½ August 1, 2010
Not too bad horror movie which happens in Afganistan.
½ July 3, 2010
The promising begining drives you to deception...and then to shit
½ June 30, 2010