The Red Shoes (Bunhong Shin) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Shoes (Bunhong Shin) Reviews

December 2, 2016
most Asian horror/ghost movies are basically the same to me, and this was your standard example. not a whole lot of story, plot, or interestingly original stuff- just looming girls w wet black hair jumping out of shadows and killing someone in a blackout recap.
August 5, 2015
This is easily one of the worst films I've seen. Not only is the pace horrendously slow, the movie isn't scary. Throwing gore at the screen constantly in huge amounts does add a small dose of ghastly imagery, but after a while that shtick gets old. Not to mention, the movie is worse when the people are over-acting in every scene, especially the mother and daughter. It is supposed to be unnerving every time they fight over the shoes, but its laughably bad. Not to mention, when the film ends you're left with more questions than scares or resolution. Do not watch this film, its not good at all.
September 6, 2014
If you're looking for an good horror film, The Red Shoes is probably a very good bet.....lush visuals, pretty score and a good solid story to drag you through the slower parts....
February 23, 2014
Pretty good! Proof that it's never a good idea to pick things up in the subway! You never know where it came from...or what's attached to it!
November 19, 2013
"The Red Shoes" has a solid background, with the film taking the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale and adding a significant horror element, which makes it an unique film. Unfortunately, other issues plague this Korean film, including pacing, a lacklustre twist that doesn't really pack the punch it was supposed to, and an incredible suspension of belief required from the viewer.

It showed promise, but never became more than an OK horror film.

Also, it was mildly off-putting that the titular "Red shoes" were a bright pink.... maybe just me?
½ January 2, 2013
If you like horror movies, S. Korea has several worth watching!
This is one to watch with friends. Good script, well directed, with several convincing actresses - but not a 'chick flick' either.
½ October 22, 2012
An example of The South Korean kitsch, which recently have invaded everywhere on the internet, especially the style of photography and coloring.
½ September 1, 2012
Ok some good bits worth a watch if u like Asian horror
½ June 14, 2012
very good movie, it felt very demonic and weird all the way through.... some very creepy scary parts.. It could have been creepier though, but this was an insane story and very good. I will perhaps fear the sight of any shoes that look like the ones in this movie for a while.... very chilling and atmospheric... the story was abit too strange so it was kind of hard to understand some parts of it, and i know a few things that would have made it scarier in certain parts... the ending could have been better, i don't mean the scene in the credits , when the credits went all blurry the scene in the credits was brilliant.
worth watching for sure unless you hate horror movies... this will creep you out and the sound effects are very eerie.
½ June 6, 2012
No jumps, no scares, and it doesn't play entirely fair in the storyline - not enough clues to deduce what is going on so when the "twist" comes, it is not a shock exactly, but you didn't get the impression it was carefully laid out. The supernatural element is nice, and the gore/effects are decent. It has a detailed back story. The shoes, however, are pink, not red. That bothered me too.
June 4, 2012
This film is a pleasant reworking of the fable of a young girl that finds a cursed pair of red shoes that make her dance until she is dead.

The main actress is superb and a welcome relief from the same old, half-assed flitting about the silver screen that Hollywood has been fond of giving us in recent years.

Yes, the story does drag at times & gets a bit convoluted, but I had no problem keeping interested from start to finish. The scares are believable and some are completely unexpected - traits that many horror flicks lack.
½ February 14, 2012
You'd think shoes you were willing to kill for would actually be pretty, not those ugly things. Plus that kid needed a good slap. Little brat.
February 12, 2012
As far as Korean horror movies go, The Red Shoes was alright. The both filming and acting was quite good; the special effects were exceptional. However, while the plot wasn't bad, some parts were a little confusing- the puzzle peaces simply did not seem to fall into place. In any case, its still a film worth watching... if your looking for an okay horror movie.
January 30, 2012
"No emotion is more fatal than an obsessed love."-Cheol (Seong su Kim)

Now that the market isn't being flooded with J-horror and other Asian spook flicks I can view without being so cynical. You've seen the story countless times (not to mention the white faces), but most of imagery is really creepy, as is score. The charaters are well drawn out and the film doesn't shy away from a well deserved 'R' rating (gallons of blood). I'll take a Koreon horror film over Japanese horror flick any day.
November 7, 2011
I love how korean tells a story. Very narrative and systematic. Red Shoes is artful and beautifully executed. The Performances are amazing. Stunning cinematography. Good Story. If y'all looking for some high stilletos and pumps fun, watch this! 4 out of 5 stars! :)
½ September 5, 2011
Ok the story line to this movie was pretty decent at first and I really got interested. But the movie stretched 20 minutes too long. for when it hit that part, the story took a turn and really threw me off. Doing this, I lost interest and just wanted it to end. But there are many interesting scary and gory scenes to enjoy in this movie. Even in the 20 minutes that I hated. The cast was pretty good. The little girl who played Tae-soos was prety good. The main character played by Hye-su Kim was also good. I believe when Yong-gyun Kim had made this movie, he wanted the shoes to have a deeper meaning than just a killing tool. At parts you can really see some of the symbolism. At other parts, not so much. So it was a fun and interesting movie to watch, just needed a little more editing on the story front.
½ August 28, 2011
Yet another koreon horror, but unlike a lot of other similar films this just suceeds. There is no escaping the fact that it is about some killer shoes with a silly curse, but there is some great drama and character development. It sure ain't scary, but gory it is. This is above alot of films because its got more depth and detail that other asian horror filsm lack. And whereas films like the grudge lacked a coherent structure they were filled with scares. Sadly this is a mixture of both but this branches out and makes the film more appealable to a wider audience. Worth a look 7.5/10
Keiko A. --Samurai--
½ August 5, 2011
Creepy and Fact vs Fiction? Now i like Korean movies they can be wonderful and full of color....But this doesn't quite live up to what the beautiful 40s version did.

Some good acting and direction and one of the most insane fantasy scene i have ever viewed. But the crap story that can be confusing to so many viewers makes it hard to watch.

So my grade is just skip it or watch if you love this cinema.
½ June 16, 2011
Oh how I do love me some Korean horror. Although the shoes were pink and not red. Hmmmmm
½ June 14, 2011
Best part of this movie is the classical music, which most Korean movies have. Aside from the audio/video quality you expect from Korea, this flick has nothing to offer. It tries to be classy but it just feels pretentious and comically unscary. One of the worst in asian horror. Also tied for worst Korean movie I've seen. Which at 1.5 out 5 isn't even that bad. It does look pro.