Red State Reviews

• Mar 12, 2019

Kevin Smith is back! Or at least taking a reprieve from making shitty films. Most people won't know they are even watching a Smith film until the credits roll. It's a huge departure from his usual fare. It's a huge departure from everything else out there period. Hopefully like me, you skipped all the previews, reviews, and any other kinds of views, going in blind. I had no idea what to expect, which made it even better. Red State is several movies rolled up into one twisted ride. Performances are outstanding, especially from the preacher. Spooky stuff. My heart was racing, only to be interrupted by uncomfortable laughter brought about by an especially dark scene. The Blu-Ray extras were quite good too. Hope to see more like this from Kevin in the future. Rating: B

• Dec 14, 2018

This had to potential to be such a good movie, but halfway through it just took this odd turn and basically ruined it.

• Oct 26, 2018

It had a great premise and first two acts before selling out to a more family friendly ending. They should've continued with the vibe they had established. Dumb luck as way to set up the ending feels like a total rip-off. John Goodman was great as usual. This is a thriller, not a horror.

• Jul 21, 2018

Very intense movie with amazing performances

Very intense movie with amazing performances

• Mar 25, 2018

I'm a big fan of Smith's movies since Chasing Any but admittedly have neglected some his more recent work. In an effort to correct that I've just watched Red State and find that Kevin has given us a thought provoking picture of s horrific reality that is happening in society today. What makes this a horror movie is how close it is to reality.

• Mar 09, 2018

Wow! What a huge piece of shit. Super disappointing through and through. Which was a disappointment since I absolutely love Kevin Smith movies... don't bother, the chaos of the story unravels 3/4 of the way through the story and ends up going almost nowhere. If it wasn't for the amazing acting by John Goodman towards the end (Also the incredible DIALOG Written for him of course) it would have been totally worthless.

• Feb 04, 2018

An all too real portrayal of the world of belief and fantasy that our world lives in. The lack of credit the actors and story gets bewilders me. Look at the news each day and you'll see stories frighteningly similar..

• Jan 20, 2018

I’ll give it one thing, it was interesting. Though I think the film seeks a bit of an agenda, I thought it was tense and unique. Michael Parks is excellent as the crazed preacher. It seemed to switch genres at times and felt extremely choppy, but was entertaining

• Nov 27, 2017

What a bore. 40% of Red State was overdrawn monologues that ultimately added nothing to the movie and were simply painful to listen to. And with a lame and insensible 3rd act, Red State has become one of the most forgettable movies I’ve seen in the last year.

• Oct 18, 2017

would have given it 5 stars if the ending was better.

would have given it 5 stars if the ending was better.