Redacted - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Redacted Reviews

October 1, 2018
Interesting, perhaps in the way it was filmed, and maybe the unique crime scenario not really seen before in a film. This is DePalma branching out quite unsuccessfully, so, feel free to ignore this one.
March 18, 2017
Cartoon-like characters. Scans like it was devised by a group of angsty teenagers for a college media project.
October 31, 2015
it would have been 4 stars but there are some minor quibbles as to how a director as accomplished as De Palma has managed to fail in appropriating verisimilitude (which was after all the main point in the way this film was made) in this innovative 'Hollywood' take of the kind of bullying action that can take place in a(n) (unjust) war such as Iraqi war. Depressing but nevertheless real. Worthy but I dont wanna see it again.
½ August 19, 2014
Brian De Palma's Redacted doesn't quite work as a movie. But it works as SOMETHING.
½ July 21, 2014
7/10
intersting approach
½ July 1, 2014
Although this movie wasn't nearly as brutal and intense as I had heard it was, it was certainly thought-provoking. Without giving too much away, the plot sort of reminded me of Cannibal Holocaust, but in a much more realistic (and non-flesh devouring) sense. This is definitely an absorbing movie, but its not exactly action-packed, nor is it necessarily a "horror" movie (although it is definitely horrific in a couple of scenes). DePalma puts an interesting touch on the found footage sub-genre, and no matter what side of the fence you're on with the film itself, it will make you think, and it will make you feel SOMETHING.
March 25, 2014
I figure sooner or later people will "get" this film. I just hope I'm still around so I can tell them I called it.
November 30, 2013
Hands down, the WORST movie I have ever sat through
November 17, 2013
American army proving that its recruiting programme is the best in the world is shown impeccably in this screen play. Choosing the most brain dead individual and giving them a gun makes the most feared army in the Arabic world. This professionalism is clearly portrayed in the media of the world collected here in this starkly revealing film. Be of cheer Americans do die. Nibbles: Dates and Cheese.
October 31, 2013
Through a man's video journal, supposed to be his project for entering in a film school, and other amateur means, Brian de Palma shows the horrors brought by American in Iraq with the war by telling the story of the rape and murder of a teenage Iraqi girl. Though the film would have been a good protest against the American cause, the amateur like style he employs is sloppy and makes the whole thing hard to watch. It's not the first time De Palma's style becomes too overwhelming.
½ August 30, 2013
very weak but worth seeing
May 25, 2013
the faux documentary style is intriuging but the long takes show the actors true colors, and while some are good, most are not .. the film looks expensive, but the plot is really just a cheap shot .. it's really just not a good movie but the passion and seriousness with which this film was made is evident and palpable so you can't stop watching ..
February 11, 2013
In many ways it's a necessary film and I admire all involved for making it. However, the acting is shaky at times, and the writing itself is overdone to such a degree that it feels staged and not real like De Palma appears to want it. I don't really think the "found footage" or the "cinema verite" style in which it was shot really added to a sense of reality; in fact, it almost felt like the secret to the illusion was revealed while the illusion itself was going on. So the impact was lessened, but still, there are aspects of it, namely the psychological and character ones, that really make this an important film to think about.
January 8, 2013
I watched Redacted (2007) last night. I was reminded of the movie, Casualties of War (1989), also directed by Brian De Palama. I recommend both movies. During war some American soldiers act heroically, but other soldiers act despicable. Redacted is filmed from the point of view of a soldierā(TM)s camcorder, a security camera, Skype conversations, videos posted on jihadist and YouTube websites.
½ November 11, 2012
Great idea yet the execution is bland and the acting is weak...
October 30, 2012
Not bad in the same way as the actual occupation of Iraq... but, as far as films go, this is pretty bad.
½ September 18, 2012
FINALLY, saw this film and loved it. Really makes you think more about "supporting the troops" and gives a small glimpse of the point of view of the occupied. One wonders what Americans would do if their country were occupied by a foreign power like Iraq is.
½ August 22, 2012
the rape perpetrated by the US soldiers is something tough and appalling. Brian De Palma chooses a good filming to document the events, choosing some unknown actors, but delivering half the message he has in mind. I wondered at the end of the movie: "Brian De Palma wants the soldiers to come back, doesnt he? So why doesnt he say that? Why doesnt he show what these guys are experiencing down there?" I rly didnt understand his point of view about the whole war stuff.
July 22, 2012
Tried to watch this twice, couldn't get into it. #concentrationfail
June 19, 2012
I didn't think it was bad at all just nothing special or worth watching again