Redemption Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Redemption Road Reviews

June 20, 2013
good road trip[ mixed with music pic.
½ June 7, 2013
While the music is fun, and Duncan is of course a great presence, the story is rather predictable -- and of course the road trip from Texas to Alabama shows very little actual sights of this trip.
September 18, 2012
Really enjoyed this movie...blues lovers??? You'll want to see this one!
August 18, 2012
good story,a little slow getting there ....
August 14, 2012
It tries too hard to do too much with so little.

It wants to talk about spirituality, but it seems afraid to really do so. Mixing talk of AA's 'higher power' with subliminal Christian verbiage ends up diluting and confusing things. The result is a higher power credited with creating the universe and therefore our sexual instincts and therefore 'down with' casual sex. There's a huge emphasis on forgiveness, without any real context for it. What higher power insists on forgiveness after first providing it? Redemption from what, by whom? Why is sacrifice for anyone else worth it?

This film seems to want to take all of the powerful benefits of Christianity and Scripture while gutting it of any of the specifics, anything that might crimp our style or otherwise pin us down. As such, the film is hollow because the theology it seeks to draw from has been hollowed out.

And has Hollywood so quickly forgotten the disaster of "Crossroads" nearly 25 years ago? Why is it that films about the blues always feature talentless white guys who are supposed to be musical phenoms, while the genuine geniuses are relegated to barely credited backup music scenes? Frustrating!
½ May 17, 2012
After I watched the trailers, I knew I had to see this movie. I had not yet seen a Mario Van Peebles directed movie I liked until this one. It helped that supporting actors Michael Clarke Duncan, who has 90 movies under his belt, and Tom Skerritt who has 150 movies under his belt, have face recognition.

As for Morgan Simpson, who has the lead in this movie, he was completely unknown to me but I was sold on his performance. He wrote the story so he had the benefit of knowing exactly what his character was suppose to feel and why.

The story has a few weak spots but they do not deter the viewer from keeping focused on all the good points. To use an expression in the film, Duncan delivers some fortune cookie wisdom, but it is no less valuable wisdom as far as I was concerned. Even the music delivers wisdom to those who pay attention. The music in the movie is really good, unless you hate the blues and country styles (especially the blues). The story has in the first 75% to 80% of the movie a well planned set-up for a surprise you don't see coming and which may bring tears to some viewers with kinder hearts. Thankfully, Skerritt's character made a point in the movie that you need to cry sometimes to purge the sadness that will otherwise weigh you down and it feels better after. We all know that to be true.
April 24, 2012
Very very good heart and soul movie. Wonderful acting and great sound track. Saw this movie at the Heartland film festival. Check it out.
January 24, 2012
?路?影?????失???人?????解???滿????調????????LOMO?調?????
½ October 13, 2011
Good heartfelt, acted beautifully and directed well.

Good blues music through out the film helped carry you along the redemption story.

A great watch.
½ October 1, 2011
Strong heartfelt movie about a man trying to regain his life by confronting problems of the past. Great music throughout good acting and a strong story that keeps the viewer interested throughout. Rainy day watch most people will appreciate it.
October 1, 2011
Sappy, too-heavy and poorly written... Some of the plot "twists" don't make any sense. It boasts of having good music, but it's full of your basic bar blues - in other words, nothing special. If it doesn't bore you to sleep first, this movie will confuse the hell out of you.
September 3, 2011
Wonderful film!!!!
Loved it!!
September 2, 2011
l really enjoyed this movie. The music was great along with thestoryline and acting. I thought the cinematography was terrific as well. I loved the twists and turns in the story and I highly recommend this movie.
September 2, 2011
great movie good acting good plot great music
August 31, 2011
This is a really good movie, but it is getting NO press coverage! It has an excellent message, please take an afternoon or evening and see for yourself!
½ August 23, 2011
Saw an early screening in Atlanta, the movie is a good story with good music, blues and country. Acting was pretty good although a couple of contrived scenes. Didn't detract from leaving the film with a good feeling.