• PG, 1 hr. 33 min.

100% Veep: Season 3

I'm Reed Fish Reviews

Alice S

May 27, 2009
As the plucky strains of an acoustic guitar played over the DVD menu, I mused wearily, "This looks delightfully indie..." because of course, "indie" can go terribly wrong. I'm Reed Fish does not. It's a captivating story about a small-town boy-wonder's quarter-life crisis. Deeply-felt performances, a beautiful original soundtrack, and quirky characters who aren't SO quirky that you want to punch them in the face.

Schuyler Fisk is brilliant. I loved her as Kristy Thomas in The Baby-Sitters Club, and it's nice to see she's grown into a decent adult actress/singer. I just fell in love with her during her songs. The only qualm I have with this movie is the ending. Reed and the real Jill shouldn't have gotten together. We've spent the entire movie falling in love with fake Jill. Real Jill (played by a mousy Shiri Appleby) can't build up nearly enough charm in her brief cameo.

If only Jay Baruchel, his face half-shadowed by a dusky lamp, would look me in the eyes and say, "Why aren't we together?" I think I could be happy for the rest of my life.
Nicki M

January 17, 2008
Interesting idea for a film, being a movie a guy made about his life within a movie.
I was pretty confused at first and found it hard to follow, also not too exciting.
It improved as it went on, and I was glad I stuck it out. It is an unusual film and it won't be to everyone's tastes. Needless to say, my mother who likes her movies PG and spelt out, was bored crapless by this one.
jjnxn
jjnxn

December 17, 2007
Blah
Leigh R

August 9, 2009
Nice little movie. Odd at the end, but very sweet.
Dean L

March 18, 2008
The moment this movie started I was a little worried. I'm not sure what it was that made me feel this way. I think it was the notion that I was watching a rather uninteresting kid's diary unfold before my eyes. As it turns out...this was exactly the case.
A cute film based on the real life of Reed Fish (who has a cameo in the film) is nothing more than a mildly interesting story with a twist that breaks even the slow pace of the movie. It is actually disruptive which is too bad because I believe it was the writer's sole vehicle in attempting to convey his aspirations.
Jay Baruchel from Judd Apatow's brood (Undeclared) helps to save this with his pretty believable performance, but there is just not enough meat to chew on.
We have love and love lost. We have tragedy. We have life decisions, but this all comes off like some teen soap opera reaching for something that it just cannot have.
It isn't a bad film, but it just isn't a good one.
Sorry Reed, but your life and realizations are just not that interesting.
If you are looking for a bland watch that will offend no one and you simply need to cleanse your palette for the next film to come along this is the one for you. Totally bland. It doesn't even make for a decent sorbet.
Megan S

October 2, 2007
Cute but the twist was weird and just confused me for the rest of the movie.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 26, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]Like a lot of people, Reed Fish(Jay Baruchel) occasionally oversleeps and is late for work. Unlike most other people, he is the morning DJ for the radio station in Mud Meadows which also used to be his father's job and the show cannot start without him. On a personal level, all is fine as he is engaged to Kate(Alexis Bledel). But a possible complication arrives in the person of Jill(Schuyler Fisk), a childhood friend.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"I'm Reed Fish" is nothing basically new. All that keeps it from being yet another hackneyed love triangle with a layer of small town condescension on top is the device of a movie within a movie. But that is not developed enough to make it interesting.[/font]
Jason R

July 21, 2009
A very well acted film, with a really great plot and a few twists that I thought were pretty original. This are the kind of films I love picking up at the rental store that end up being a great little Indie gem, and it is also a great comedy as well.
weelee18
weelee18

March 15, 2009
not bad..
Nate H

July 27, 2008
Eh. It wasn't what I feared, at least, but a romantic "comedy" with a twist ending? Why?
iLeo
iLeo

December 26, 2007
Great movie! Baruchel, Fisk, Bledel, and Appleby are all fantastic! The story plot is very intriguing, and the central concepts intertwine nicely. Love. Friendship. Future. True place in this world.
Great music.
Sunil J

November 25, 2007
I love Alexis Bledel and think she's adorable but this movie is just plain dull.
kmccarley86
May 30, 2011
I was a little underwhelmed by this movie. I was excited about watching it because it included some of my favorite actors(alexis, jay). But I mostly just found it kind of boring.
November 22, 2009
Jay Baruchel and Alexis Bledel star, and I was expecting a cute and not muh more rom-com. Boy, was I wrong. It had it's share of comedy, but this was much more of a romantic drama, and the cast is perfect.
jamilyn0276
July 9, 2009
Reed Fish thought his small town life in Mudd Meadows was perfect. Until his High School sweetheart comes back into town and turns everything upside down.
I have to give it to Zackary Adler who directed this film and the real Reed Fish who wrote the story. Movies like this one have been done before, but the way this one is done is quirky and refreshing.
I love Jay Baruchel as Reed Fish. He reminds me of a young Christian Slater. D. J. Qualls was funny as Andrew, in his dorky sort of charming way. Alexis Bledel and Shiri Appleby were also great. I was a huge nerd and very much into Roswell, so it was nice to see her in something. I was delighted to see Schuyler Fisk in this film. She is a natural beauty and has all her mother's grace on the screen. It was also nice to get to see her sing. It reminded me a lot of Sissy is Coal Miner's Daughter.
I say I'm Reed Fish is definitely worth a look for being a little off beat and delivering a few laughs.
tecneek253
December 23, 2008
this movies alright....it has that quirky indy movie feeling......liked jay burachel in it and the supporting roles.....i missed the beginning tho
SnowEater12
August 15, 2007
A pretty fun, easy going movie with a light plot and little, yet appealing twists! Nicely done, I would reccomend this for the family-value types.
May 3, 2008
cute show but it really didn't dig as deep as it could have. and while i liked it, the ending severed my emotional connection to the characters.
MarilynRocks111
May 31, 2007
Alexis bledel is in this one and thats the only reason i saw it. In reality the movie was a movie about a movie mad from the characters in the movie lol. Didnt like it.
January 6, 2008
This was good but it got confusing with the whole movie in a movie thing. He ends up with someone that you never see in the movie until the end.