Regeneration - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Regeneration Reviews

November 16, 2014
at least people understand it better now
½ July 1, 2014
This movie really suffers from what I'll call 'Adaptation syndrome'- they try too hard to cram too much of the plot of the book in the movie without any of the heart. That said, it has its moments (mostly in good lines) though the acting is lacking and the emotion is a bit too cold.
July 11, 2012
A great depiction of post traumatic stress disorder in an environment within which it was not condoned. Saddening but likely very true to life.
October 24, 2011
Great movie on the effects of war on soldiers. Paints a very bleak picture and shows that war isn't all guts and glory.

Moving, shocking, thought-provoking, true.
½ April 28, 2011
This movie really shows the futility of war, though it centres more on the surviving soldiers of WWI with nightmares, neuroses and psychic disability. Decorated infantry captain Siegfried Sassoon sees the darker sides of the trench war and protests against antiquated warfare methods and a ditto view on the soldier's role versus the higher officer's. A protest like that from such a high ranking officer as Sassoon, a receiver of the Military Cross, comes a bit of a surprise to the top brass. They decide that he has to change his mind before he can return to his unit at the front, and in the meanwhile he's put into a military psychiatric hospital.

Sassoon finds himself in a catch-22 situation; either he withdraws his protest and feel guilty for the rest of his life that he failed in his attempt to turn the tide - or he keep at it, get labelled as a loony and have his future reputation ruined. At the psychiatric hospital Sassoon gets to see what really happens with shell-chock victims and the sometimes medieval techniques used to "cure" them in order to get them back to the front as soon as possible.

This movie is rather well made. The scenes at the front are so realistic that one wonders if the extras found mud where it isn't supposed to be any at the end of a gruelling day of shooting frontline footage. The lighting and the colour setting was so right for the scenes from the front to distinguish them from the lighter, safer ones at home.

The sombre message this movie conveys is very much alive today with all the wars going on: What really happens to the survivors that are no longer fit for fight?
½ February 5, 2010
Interesting and poignant. Yeah, I rate this film. It is a tough one though.
February 8, 2009
Don't see many WW1 films, seems that the sequal is considered better for cinema? This though, is one of my favorite war films - dealing more with the psychological after-effects of battle than the action itself. Pryce, Lee Miller and McKidd are all utterly marvelous.
½ January 8, 2009
This is by and large a really good film,
½ November 2, 2008
Very well written, acted and directed film about the psychological effects on WW1 soldiers.
½ July 31, 2008
One of the best beautiful and compelling films rich in its attempt to magnify the engraving effects left on forgotten soldieries of any war.
June 28, 2008
This film is numerically identical to "Behind the Lines".
May 22, 2008
A very slick film with a strong cast, but it's nothing special.
May 21, 2008
. Throught provoking and moving.
½ February 24, 2008
I can remember my mother telling me stories of her Dad and his Shell Shock from WW1. I dont know of any war movie that touched me like this one did.
½ February 7, 2008
Poetry and Psychiatry. And the pity of war. Poignant, thought-provoking and ever more relevant today.
January 23, 2008
introduced me to some amazing poets
January 15, 2008
Why would I care about the sanity of a poet I've never heard of before?
December 25, 2007
Just incredible really - all the actors are amazing in this film and it's a look at a side of the first world war that is usually glossed over in movies.
December 7, 2007
Lovely film, great when paired with having recently read Sassoon or Owen's work.