Reign of Fire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reign of Fire Reviews

September 10, 2017
My family has always enjoyed this movie, and we watch it when it appears on cable. I think the critics are too harsh on this film.
September 2, 2017
Reign of Fire was an incredibly entertaining movie! Sure, not the smartest thing out there, but a good 2 hours
August 27, 2017
I liked it. The writing could have been better and I agree that there was colossal waste of talent. However, it was a new take on an old Post apocalyptic story.
August 22, 2017
Fantastic popcorn movie! Which is why it's on TV everytime you turn it on.
½ August 21, 2017
This film is crap, McConaughey, Bale, Butler, and Siddig have all done much better films. This movie was a waste of these talented actors time. Their agents were chastised for letting them do this horrid piece of fecal matter I hope.
August 7, 2017
Surely the fullness of time has shown that this fun dragon movie deserves a "fresh" rating. What's not to like? Totally bat-shit Matthew McConaughey, Christian Bale (who is always good. Always), Gerard Butler when he still sounded like a Scot and before anyone presupposed anything that he does, Alexander Siddig (again always good. A supporting actor who deserves to be a leading man) and a clever premise. Plus - DRAGONS! What's not to like?
½ July 31, 2017
Enjoyable post-apocalpytic, sci-fi romp with good CG dragons and well-paced action sequences. Stellar cast elevates material, which leaves you forgetting about the odd plot hole.
July 19, 2017
I honestly thought this movie was fine. The special effects were great. I just wish the movie showed more about the dragons invading and attacking .
March 23, 2017
3/22/2017: A decent film with a really good cast. Not good enough to watch over and over though.
½ March 11, 2017
Bald McConaughey chewing cigars and fighting a flaming dragon face off will make you laugh hard. This movie is so bad and wrong in so many aspects is worthy a watch. Uwe Bol said it was an inspiration for him.
½ March 4, 2017
This movie satisfied me with it's dragon action and supsense. If you're a person looming for a good dragon film, this is the best one yet.
February 2, 2017
Aside from a few thrilling moments, the fun B-movie premise and inspired setting doesn't change it's dull pacing
January 28, 2017
EPIC MASTER PIECE and UNDERRATED FILM
December 8, 2016
loved it great looking dragons!!!
September 3, 2016
Great guilty pleasure...Gerard Butler, Matthew M and Christian Bale all in one movie? EPIC
½ July 29, 2016
Saw it in the theater. Thought I'd watch it again....15 years later. Men. Still underwhelmed.
July 24, 2016
Ive loved this movie ever since i saw it for the first time (that was like 20 viewings ago). I mean, who doesnt love a good Dragon story right? The movie features Christian Bale, Gerard Butler, and a fantastic performance from Matthew McConaughey. I find myself yet again loving a movie that involves Bale, not that his performance was outstanding in this film but that i tend to love films that he is involved in. Something my wife often heckles me about and my fanboyish love for all things Bale. Never the less, Reign of Fire is about the accidental unearthing of a dragon which then proceeds to somehow (something that is really never addressed in this film) to procreate and thus create a legion of dragons that descends upon humanity destroying everything in their wake.

Fast forward a few years and we now have an older character (portrayed by Bale) who is basically the guy in charge of a small commune of people held up in a old castle. They find themselves having to rebuild and feed themselves without modern technology all the while still avoiding the threat of dragons as much as possible. After having an unfortunate confrontation with a dragon we see the arrival of Van Zant (McConaughy) and his dragon hunter soldiers. While at first its hard for the commune to believe that Van Zant and his crew are actually dragon hunters it doesnt take long until they put their reputation to test which unfortunately ends with the loss of some of the soldiers lives.

The ultimate prize for Van Zant is tracking down and destroying what he believes to be the only male dragon of the species and destroying it will allow the others to die off without the possibility of reproducing any more dragons. Unfortunately Van Zant is caught off guard by how hard it is to kill the male dragon and not only loses 98% of his unit but it also ends up costing some of the lives back at the castle. So Bale, who knows where the male is hidden because of his personal knowledge of the initial contact of the beast devises a plan with Van Zant and a female helicopter pilot named Alex to go and destroy the dragon themselves. With great acting and some really really great graphics and design work this movie plays out flawlessly.

While Dragons tend to appear in various films generally in smaller roles i have never enjoyed a dragon flick quite this good since Dragonslayer (1981) in which the dragons are the main concept of the films. While the story has a few holes it doesnt suffer all that much and actually plays out pretty well. Certainly worth viewing if you are a fantasy geek.

My rating: 10/10
June 4, 2016
Wildly fun genre mash up, combining the post apocalyptic film elements with medieval fantasy. While digging up the streets of London, a construction crew unwittingly unearths (ALA "Quatermass and the Pit") a long dormant dragon. The film then picks up years later an most of the earths human population have been killed by a scourge of dragons and have been forced to go into hiding, living off the ruins of the old world (most of the world was destroyed by nuclear bombs in an attempt to kill all the dragons). The film follows one group who have gone into hiding in a medieval castle, led by Christian Bale. The film does a great job of setting up their world, showing how they hide from the dragons, how they get their food, and their primitive living conditions. Their world is then rocked when an American para-military group shows up, led by a swaggering, axe-wielding Matthew McConaughey, who claims his group are dragon hunters. This film has a pretty gonzo set up that could easily have been made into a cheesy (though probably still enjoyable) Charles Band picture, but this film was directed by frequent "X-Files" writer/director Rob Bowman, who brings utter seriousness to the film. Much like the "X-Files," stories with a far fetched premiss can either campy or done with utter seriousness. Camp is a lot easier, but often times films that want to be serious become unintentional camp, but in my option (which isn't shared by everyone) is that this film does manage to pull it off. McConaughey and Bale are both undeniably actors who can pull off serious dramatic roles that there do so very well here (though I'll admit McConaughey does dip into camp at a few points). You also get future serious dude Gerard Butler in a supporting role. For me the is film totally works as an interesting post apocalyptic action fantasy film, but at the same time I can also see that this film coming off as completely ridiculous to audience members whoa re not fans of these types of genre films or not willing to suspend disbelief. The underused Izabella Scorupco also appears in the film.
May 21, 2016
I enjoyed it. Nothing like dragons with some great actors