The Reivers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reivers Reviews

½ February 26, 2015
The Reivers is a nice bawdy film, sort of Walt Disney with an adult rating. Imagine a charming nostalgia-soaked family-type film about a winsome 11-year-old in turn-of-the-century Mississippi who gets himself cut up in a Memphis bordello defending the good name of a lovely professional lady.
March 1, 2014
Although it seemed geared for all viewers, the reivers exposed us to many innuendoes and themes that I was often uncomfortable with. I guess this was all from the Faulkner novel, but the inclusion of the childish approaches to it made it seem especially gritty. All in all it is harmless, but is it necessary or effective? I do not think so, especially with all the cheese.
½ January 22, 2014
Itchy Feet, grand ideas and the freedom of hte open road inspire Boon Hogganbeck (Steve McQueen) to 'borrow' his boss's 1905 Winton Flyer automobile and take work colleague Ned McCaslin (Robert Crosse) on a road trip to Memphis for a bit of fun and a whole lot of mischef. Along for the ride is 12 year old Lucius (Mitch Vogel), destined to take it all in and keep check on his grandfather's beloved automobile. Adventure bound, the trio of 'reivers' - more commonly known as thieves - trick, con and charm their way to their destination and beyond, gambling everything and playing everyone all in the name of fun.

also stars Sharon Farrell, Will Geer, Lonny Chapman, Juano Hernandez, Clifton James, Ruth White and Burgess Meredith.

directed by Mark Rydell.
August 9, 2013
The Reivers gives us a glimpse of an America entering into the modern era. The Hand built Winton Flyer, kerosene lamps, waiting for the inevitable electric light, No social security for retiree's, the ugliness of racial hatred. Will Geer's performance as the wise patriarch of the McCaslin family is touching. All the actors in this movie meshed into the story line so well. Even the music was memorable.
January 5, 2013
ok period piece told like 'to kill a mockingbird' from a child's point of view though steve mcqueen is top billed.
December 14, 2012
The best ever movie made from a William Faulkner novel and one of my favorite movies. The Reivers is a classic Steve McQueen flick with a great cast and the best horse race scene ever made, but also it is also a wonderful coming-of-age story too, with Will Geer simply wonderful as the grandfather.
September 16, 2012
An old film but a brilliant adaptation of Faulkners last novel. Wish I could find it now.
December 24, 2011
Fun, nostalgic, thrill ride through Mississippi, based on the William Faulkner novel
October 3, 2011

also stars Sharon Farrell, Will Geer, Lonny Chapman, Juano Hernandez, Clifton James and Ruth White.

directed by Mark Rydell.
February 27, 2010
MAY I SEE THIS MOVIE PLS..BEEN SEARCHING 4EVER ...THANK YOU
½ March 13, 2009
Good version of Faulkner's story
½ January 2, 2009
Cutesy, yes. Steve McQueen doing comedy-ish work is interesting; I don't think he pulls it off that well but he's so endearing anyway that it doesn't matter. This film was made during different times, I'll tell you that much.
½ August 9, 2008
Touchante adaptation du roman de Faulkner.
June 20, 2008
Classic feel good film, great McQueen action.
May 3, 2008
April 6, 2008
Steve McQueen and the original road trip.
March 5, 2008
Cute movie! I really liked this a lot!!!
March 1, 2008
A funny cornball movie highlighted by Steve McQueen's performance and John Williams' score. I wanted to see this movie ever since I heard John Williams' 19 minute long concert suite as a teenager. I was shocked to find that the exciting horse race music he wrote wasn't actually in the original score. John Williams wrote his first great score for this movie, which of course attracted the attention of Steven Spielberg.