Rejoice & Shout - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rejoice & Shout Reviews

Harlequin68
½ January 5, 2013
"Rejoice and Shout" is an informative and entertaining documentary that acts as a survey history of gospel music, allowing it to not only be told by experts, but in the wonderful music which is shown in many delightful clips. This way we can see how gospel music has not only influenced music in general but also been affected by the outside world at large. Regretfully, the documentary does not know where to start, going off on tangents for a while before finally settling for the beginning which in this case is slavery where the Christianity of the masters mixed with the slaves' native religion to create a new form of Christianity. Soon after which, music was added to the mix.

As well testified, gospel music springs from the singers' enthusiastic beliefs and faith. For example, Pastor Andrae Crouch puts it best when he says we would all melt if we ever directly heard the voice of God, so His words have to be conveyed through intermediaries. At the same time, I can attest one does not have to believe similarly to enjoy gospel music or anything else wonderful in this bountiful world, to disagree with Smokey Robinson.
August 31, 2012
If you like music and need a little inspiration, then rent this documentary and give it a watch. It's wonderful.
January 29, 2012
REJOICE AND SHOUT is an EXCELLENT documentary. I was blown away to see live performances by the Caravans in their heyday. Smokey Robinson's interview spoke VOLUMES! Darrel Petties of Memphis spoke for today's generation, and he did it WELL! His lead singer, Ashley Mackey, did a soul-stirring job as usual!
November 9, 2011
I picked up on Rejoice and Shout for the sole reason that I thought it would be interesting and to expose myself to a history and genre of music that I have no familiarity with. I was in luck. Rejoice and Shout makes the viewer want to do just what the title infers. Exploring 200 years of Gospel music from its humble beginnings to its glorious and to some degree toe-tapping arrangements, this is a great film.

While the first 30 minutes seems a bit dry, its certainly eye-opening to the birth of this genre of music and its evolution over generations. I enjoyed this film much more than I thought I would, and if you're a music fan, you'll be able to identify where the Blues, Rap and Hip Hop evolved from Gospel taking the lead.

This is a good film and well worth your time. I recommend it.
½ September 28, 2011
Quite an education; one walks us through the history of Black American musical tradition alongside social justice movement. It's a musical tour-de-force and a great film for any music lover. While I understand the director's chronological trajectory, I wish they would've spent more time thinking about gospel's proliferations in other genres--it's almost glaring that they left out Ray Charles and other musicians who began in gospel but made a career in popular music. Also, I'm not sure I'm pleased with the rather "tidy" ending. Yet, the movie was filled with brilliant music and made for a good historical look at our American musical culture.
½ August 1, 2011
Reflective and inspiring historical look at Gospel Music showcasing the highlights and drama. This was very informative and entertaining documentary for those who do not know the genre.
½ July 7, 2011
While there is nothing particularly bad about this documentary, the history is informative, the music can be entertaining, I still found myself a bit bored at times.
June 12, 2011
Blurb/review coming later this week.