Renaissance Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Renaissance Man Reviews

March 28, 2018
This movie has great performances from everyone, including Danny DeVito, Gregory Hines, and Stacey Dash. It's a wonderful story about courage and overcoming adversity.
February 14, 2018
Really good movie. Talks about a businessman who was forced to take a teaching job for the United States army. They teach "Dumb" soldiers how to pass basic training but, instead he teaches them how to read and love to read Shakespeare. I give it 4/5 Stars.
February 10, 2018
Not really a comedy, but really funny. It actually goes through every emotion you can think of. Have seen this at least 5 times since seeing it at the theater when it was released. I find it the perfect rainy day movie now. Love it!

Danny Devito was fantastic, as were all the cast. Kinda cheesey in that you can predict what will happen as the movie moves along....but that is true for all feel good movies. Definitely worth watching if you have never seen it.
½ January 19, 2018
Danny DeVito surprisingly pulls off an inspirational teacher movie. I really liked it. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
November 19, 2017
Just watched this movie recently and I really enjoyed it
September 12, 2017
Aaahh.. movies what they used to be.. funny, inspring with morals.
June 19, 2016
Danny DeVito stars as a recently unemployed ad man who takes a job teaching remedial English, except these students are soldiers. Yes, this comedy is filled with the usual military cliches (horns blaring at 5am, food sucks, obstacle course pratfalls etc.) and its all bit sappy in parts but I must admit, the cast did a wonderful job considering what it was given. The supporting cast of Hardison, Wahlberg and Stacey Dash make this movie watchable.
½ May 20, 2016
Funny and with a few heartfelt moments, Renaissance Man features a solid and inspiring underrated performance from Danny DeVito.
May 11, 2016
If you want a movie that just makes you feel good this is a good choice. It's not Shakespeare but it is an enjoyable movie.
½ November 17, 2015
Fun movie but military propaganda gets old.
May 13, 2015
This movie is very under-rated! I don't understand the negative reviews. This movie, surely is not the best comedy, but it is a great heart-warming movie, with a lot of important lessons. It is a very inspiring story.
½ April 21, 2015
This film was doomed from the outset due to a deals for a dollar script.
June 4, 2014
6/4/2014: Maybe not a great movie, but does have some really great moments and gives a great message.
April 20, 2014
Under appreciated...
February 11, 2014
Danny Devito un genio.
Mark re chiquitin :)
½ December 22, 2013
I can't understand why this movie has such negative reviews. It was one of the very few movies I saw in class that I actually liked. Anyway, while I find it weird that DeVito's character makes a sudden switch from jerk to nice guy, the comedy was worth a few laughs, and the Shakespeare tie-in was great. And I hate to spoil stuff in reviews, but there is one scene where a character recites a monologue from Hamlet. That is one of my favorite movie scenes ever.
October 23, 2013
I just love this movie. Haha :)
May 18, 2013
Great movie for what it attempts. Unfortunately when a few people review a movie, it skews things, and even so, people are not putting it in its proper perspective and criticizing it for what it is not meant to have. This is not a movie where you should expect great realism and a polished art, so you have to see it for what it is. It is for people who like to sit back and actually enjoy a movie. A feel good movie yes, but not sappy, and there is emotion in this movie that feels real, as they express the literature through their lives and experiences they're going through. Does try hard at times, but there is more than plenty that is well done.
April 1, 2013
Penny Marshall has this distinct ability to create movies that always touch my heart (some better than others) - even if they are objectively speaking not really good. They always make excellent time fillers for boring Saturday afternoons or holidays.
February 3, 2013
I laughed before I started watching it and then after I threw it in my toilet. Oh and also while smearing his face with number two.