Rent Live Reviews

• Apr 06, 2019

The only thing good about this was Jordan Fisher. Keala's note at the end kinda summed it up - supposed to be impactful, but just a little off

• Apr 06, 2019

Overlooking the dress rehearsal disaster and the problem broadcastin on Fox, the cast was exceptional and the performance enjoyable.

• Mar 29, 2019

Having seen several differant versions this version did keep the original intent, musicality and theatrics. No it wasnt "live" and yes it was overly polished in some respects but you have to remember its audience... 8pm Sunday night. No f bombs allowed. If youre a purist... You may not like it... If your not stuck on "its not the original cast" its a wonderful version. Cheers

• Feb 26, 2019

Unfortunately, I watched this the evening after I had seen "Hamilton." Ugh. Bad idea. Vanessa Hudgens was surprisingly good. Everybody else sucked. I love "Rent" and there is much in the way of truly good music in this show ... but my guess is these actors all had extremely good agents who sold their soul to get their clients these parts ... too many pretty faces and not near enough good voices.

• Feb 07, 2019

Jordan Fischer stands out as a perfect selection for the role of Mark in Rent Live. Unfortunately, poor planning led to the downfall of this production. Lack of understudy selection required use of the pre-recorded dress rehearsal after Brennin Hunt's foot injury. The pre-recorded version had much of it's major hits drowned out by an overly loud audience and messy stage movements.

• Feb 06, 2019

Overlooking the pre-recorded dress rehearsal, RENT suffered from miscasting and weak song performances that failed to resonate with this viewer. While there were some gems (Keala & Valentina), it just wasn't enough to pay the rent. Final thought: it was too clean.

• Feb 02, 2019

The made for TV special certainly attracted attention, but we should have expected FOX to ruin it. The show skipped from one moment to another, edited too much out, and fell far short of the mark in key scenes. I felt like I was watching a rock concert instead of theatre due to the lack of acting and the shrieking audience that drowned everyone out. Despite good singing from some of the cast, they didn't understand the weight of the characters they play and failed to do justice to an epic story. Interviews of the original cast in the 90s mention that they were afraid moving to Broadway would damage the ethos of the show. Rent Live proves them right.

• Feb 02, 2019

Not a perfect recording (thanks largely to an audience that were a bit noisy at times), and considering weird issues around the production. Still, it manages to be a brilliant performance of a powerful musical, with a fantastic cast.

• Feb 01, 2019

Iâ(TM)m sorry for gods sake you can not go and change every other line of one of the most iconic, longest running musicals of all time. Like I understand having to reword some of the more adult lines but that shouldnâ(TM)t mean rewriting the scene as a whole. I understand it was a dress rehearsal so I canâ(TM)t even comment on the singing. Also this is a MUSICAL, not a CONCERT. STOP PLAYING TO THE AUDIENCE WHEN SINGING.

• Feb 01, 2019

The audience wouldnâ(TM)t shut the hell up. Vocals were sub par at best. One of the worst live tv musicals Iâ(TM)ve seen.