Repo! The Genetic Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Repo! The Genetic Opera Reviews

September 3, 2017
Not a particularly 'good' movie, but abso-frickin'-lutely brilliant. Like an inferior, more violent "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Anthony Head is a phenomenal singer and actor in this, whereas Paris Hilton is... not. I have watched this movie literally hundreds of times and it makes me laugh, cry, and cringe in equal measure. It is beautiful in a very dark way and, though it is certainly not without its faults, it is a spectacular thing to behold. Plus, I got one of my copies signed by Anthony Head, yesterday, so I like it even more, now.
July 14, 2017
I don't care that it's only 35% rotten tomatoes that movie is amazing as long a movie got likeable memorable character great scenes then i don't care if the movie is super gory or stupid
½ June 8, 2017
This movie is gory, funny, and over the top, but I was glued to the screen the entire time. Not on the level of Rocky Horror, but it offers good music and an entertaining time.
April 11, 2017
Creepy, Sexy, and down right disturbing.. Who doesn't love a good surgery
March 21, 2017
So fun. Amazing music.
March 6, 2017
I watched this with my girlfriend. We sat together completely undecided over whether it was brilliant or fucking awful. It's been two days. We still don't know. Which means its obviously brilliant.
½ March 5, 2017
A delightfully quirky blend of opera, rock, horror, and dystopian science fiction. Excellent cast and wonderful soundtrack.
½ December 20, 2016
The overall premise is interesting and the camp is done almost perfectly, but the movie is a technical mess (and not within my personal realm of taste).
½ December 12, 2016
Easily My Second Favorite Musical After Rocky Horror Picture Show!
½ September 17, 2016
Good 10th grade emo aesthetic, nothing more really. Paul Sorvino and Anthony Head are both surprisingly good singers.
September 3, 2016
The whole concept, visuals and Anthony Stewart Head are really valuable elements to Repo! I know opera is the point but as a film I just can't help but think "can you just not talk instead"? Some of the talk-y sing-y parts just aren't smooth and I find my innards trying to escape deeper inside of my body but there's nowhere for them to go. Dont get me wrong, some of the songs are very good and i would have preferred this production if it had been in the vein of a musical. The ACTUAL opera performance towards the end was awesome. I just dont think singing everything all the time ever sounds great. My favourite parts of the movie are the costumes, set design of the graveyard and the general visual appeal of things. This whole world is a fantastic dystopia that I feel could have been taken better advantage of if there was less focus on trying to be melodic when ultimately I find it to be cringe inducing. Anthony Stewart Head has a fantastic character that I very much enjoyed and I think there's lots of potential for more content to be created regarding this universe.
August 27, 2016
Probably a favorite amongst members of a cult following, but not me. (Although I loved the idea). "Repo! The Genetic Opera" has visual appeal, but the soundtrack isn't very catchy, and the performances aren't campy, they're just bad.
½ August 17, 2016
I was prepared for the worst after hearing several scathing reviews from what I assume are miserable killjoys because I really ended up loving this flick. The bizarre blend of Goth culture, Industrial music and opera somehow works for me, and I could even see myself owning the soundtrack at some point.

Kudos to Bousman for trying something new.

Well worth a look.
August 16, 2016
What this movie got right:
- Casting Ogre (of Skinny Puppy) and Bill Mosely (of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2) and suprisingly Paris Hilton as three spoiled offsprings of one of the main villians. They were all superb.
- The basic storyline was very interesting.
- Some of the set design was eye catching.
- Costumes were done with a nice flair. The Repo Man suit was amazing.
Things that this film unfortunately got wrong:
- The music. I'm sorry, this is a rock opera. The music is the most important character and it just never stood out for me. No songs were left stuck in my head and there were never any hooks to latch on to. And would it hurt to just occasionally rhyme? Just once in awhile? For me, most of the music just sounded like Evanescance/modern goth which just doesn't pull any emotional weight with me.
- The movie seemed to want to be Sweeney Todd when it should have been going for Rocky Horror. The parts that stuck with me were when things really went over the top like the reposessing of organs or when the siblings act out all of their disfunctions. The rest of the flick tried to be serious and felt very disjointed.
- The comic book panel cut away scenes that were used for delivering back stories. This was fine at the beginning of the movie but quickly became a crutch when they couldn't figure out how to tell the character's stories in a timely fashion. Kept taking me out of the story and was too jarring. Also reminded me too much of Tank Girl which isn't necessarily a good thing.
- A third act that was anti-climatic.
- I just don't care about 17 yr. old emo/goth girls even if they do live a cool post-apocalyptic type world.
- Some really cheap looking CGI environments that look about 5 years past their prime.
- An all in all very muddled and confused storytelling process. This movie just never felt like it knew what it wanted to be. I'm all about pushing boundries in cinema, but it helps if the director knows exactly what they want out of a film other than just trying to mash a bunch of different genres together.
With that being said, I did really enjoy parts of this film. It just made me want to see what could have been done with it in the hands of a truly gifted director. I guess I shouldn't be suprised as this was the same director who did Saw II, III, and IV and none of those movies have ever done anything for me.
July 19, 2016
It's not good if your musical only has one decent song. Anyone who's seen it knows exactly which one I mean.
July 14, 2016
Great concept and design. Some great stuff going on, but some of the songs are not that strong, and for a rock opera, that's the most important thing...
½ May 10, 2016
Ridiculous and violent musical set in a dystopian future. Enjoyable. The epitome of a cult classic.
January 16, 2016
Great movie, with awesome songs!
January 13, 2016
the negative reviews of this masterpiece is both vulgar and vile I just seen
this on a low grade dupe print and I highly enjoyed it it's the best I have seen
since the rocky horror picture show and the whole beats of rock with opera
blended perfectly and the acting is superb my fave piece is zydrate anatomy
so it's a worth see again on blu ray.

frankie smales

smales television uk
January 8, 2016
'Repo! The Genetic Opera' is quite a unique musical experience. A heavy metal rock-opera with a great cast and great music, a strange visual style, and plenty of gore; this is an unusual beast that, while a bit sloppy, is worth the time of those with a taste for the bizarre.