Repo! The Genetic Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Repo! The Genetic Opera Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
Good 10th grade emo aesthetic, nothing more really. Paul Sorvino and Anthony Head are both surprisingly good singers.
September 6, 2016
The overall premise is interesting and the camp is done almost perfectly, but the movie is a technical mess (and not within my personal realm of taste).
September 3, 2016
The whole concept, visuals and Anthony Stewart Head are really valuable elements to Repo! I know opera is the point but as a film I just can't help but think "can you just not talk instead"? Some of the talk-y sing-y parts just aren't smooth and I find my innards trying to escape deeper inside of my body but there's nowhere for them to go. Dont get me wrong, some of the songs are very good and i would have preferred this production if it had been in the vein of a musical. The ACTUAL opera performance towards the end was awesome. I just dont think singing everything all the time ever sounds great. My favourite parts of the movie are the costumes, set design of the graveyard and the general visual appeal of things. This whole world is a fantastic dystopia that I feel could have been taken better advantage of if there was less focus on trying to be melodic when ultimately I find it to be cringe inducing. Anthony Stewart Head has a fantastic character that I very much enjoyed and I think there's lots of potential for more content to be created regarding this universe.
August 27, 2016
Probably a favorite amongst members of a cult following, but not me. (Although I loved the idea). "Repo! The Genetic Opera" has visual appeal, but the soundtrack isn't very catchy, and the performances aren't campy, they're just bad.
½ August 17, 2016
I was prepared for the worst after hearing several scathing reviews from what I assume are miserable killjoys because I really ended up loving this flick. The bizarre blend of Goth culture, Industrial music and opera somehow works for me, and I could even see myself owning the soundtrack at some point.

Kudos to Bousman for trying something new.

Well worth a look.
August 16, 2016
What this movie got right:
- Casting Ogre (of Skinny Puppy) and Bill Mosely (of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2) and suprisingly Paris Hilton as three spoiled offsprings of one of the main villians. They were all superb.
- The basic storyline was very interesting.
- Some of the set design was eye catching.
- Costumes were done with a nice flair. The Repo Man suit was amazing.
Things that this film unfortunately got wrong:
- The music. I'm sorry, this is a rock opera. The music is the most important character and it just never stood out for me. No songs were left stuck in my head and there were never any hooks to latch on to. And would it hurt to just occasionally rhyme? Just once in awhile? For me, most of the music just sounded like Evanescance/modern goth which just doesn't pull any emotional weight with me.
- The movie seemed to want to be Sweeney Todd when it should have been going for Rocky Horror. The parts that stuck with me were when things really went over the top like the reposessing of organs or when the siblings act out all of their disfunctions. The rest of the flick tried to be serious and felt very disjointed.
- The comic book panel cut away scenes that were used for delivering back stories. This was fine at the beginning of the movie but quickly became a crutch when they couldn't figure out how to tell the character's stories in a timely fashion. Kept taking me out of the story and was too jarring. Also reminded me too much of Tank Girl which isn't necessarily a good thing.
- A third act that was anti-climatic.
- I just don't care about 17 yr. old emo/goth girls even if they do live a cool post-apocalyptic type world.
- Some really cheap looking CGI environments that look about 5 years past their prime.
- An all in all very muddled and confused storytelling process. This movie just never felt like it knew what it wanted to be. I'm all about pushing boundries in cinema, but it helps if the director knows exactly what they want out of a film other than just trying to mash a bunch of different genres together.
With that being said, I did really enjoy parts of this film. It just made me want to see what could have been done with it in the hands of a truly gifted director. I guess I shouldn't be suprised as this was the same director who did Saw II, III, and IV and none of those movies have ever done anything for me.
July 19, 2016
It's not good if your musical only has one decent song. Anyone who's seen it knows exactly which one I mean.
July 14, 2016
Great concept and design. Some great stuff going on, but some of the songs are not that strong, and for a rock opera, that's the most important thing...
½ May 10, 2016
Ridiculous and violent musical set in a dystopian future. Enjoyable. The epitome of a cult classic.
January 16, 2016
Great movie, with awesome songs!
January 13, 2016
the negative reviews of this masterpiece is both vulgar and vile I just seen
this on a low grade dupe print and I highly enjoyed it it's the best I have seen
since the rocky horror picture show and the whole beats of rock with opera
blended perfectly and the acting is superb my fave piece is zydrate anatomy
so it's a worth see again on blu ray.

frankie smales

smales television uk
January 8, 2016
'Repo! The Genetic Opera' is quite a unique musical experience. A heavy metal rock-opera with a great cast and great music, a strange visual style, and plenty of gore; this is an unusual beast that, while a bit sloppy, is worth the time of those with a taste for the bizarre.
½ December 21, 2015
One of my new fave musical-based cult-classics! Catchy rock-opera songs, outrageous characters, and Anthony Stewart Head!!!
½ October 12, 2015
I've been waiting to see this movie ever since I first became obsessed with the trailer many years ago. It looked like it was made for me but the poor reviews turned me away. Well, I finally settled down to give it a chance and I was not disappointed. First of all, this movie is NOT very good. Many scenes are completely absurd, with lyrics and performances being slightly below average. But boy is it FUN. I would say the most captivating thing about Repo is the world itself. The film does a fantastic job of creating a horrific, cyberpunk/gothic dystopia filled to the brim with style and creativity. The characters are another highlight, each offering a unique perspective on the story while providing laughs along the way. The costumes are incredible too, bringing these macabre denizens to life. Yes, the movie is an opera, meaning everything is sung. Sometimes the musical numbers aren't the best that they could be but I honestly couldn't imagine this film with a typical script. Even when the lyrics are cheesy and crass beyond belief, I still had a big goofy smile across my face. Many have compared this to The Rocky Horror Picture Show (a film which I care very little for), but they really are quite different. One of the similarities would have to be their schlocky style and cult status. I guess that's why I like Repo so much. It almost qualifies as "so bad it's good" but there are genuinely great things about it as well. It's the perfect combination of goth aesthetic, rock tunes, and plenty of gore. I already want to watch it again.
½ September 27, 2015
My friend introduced me to this movie and I was unsure if it was any good. I'm not fond of musicals or operas or gore for that matter. But the plot is what kept my attention. Just the thought of someone finding a cure to save lives and then as soon as you can't pay it is lights out is terrifying. The characters were so well thought out and interesting to watch.This movie changed me, I have started to like musicals more and gore bothers me less and less. I really don't understand why the critics only gave it a 35% overall.
September 4, 2015
This movie is absolutely insane (in a good way) with surreal visuals, entrancing music, an interesting story, and more blood and gore than I thought possible for a musical.
½ September 1, 2015
Musicals, ugh.. granted it was cool to see Giles from BTVS play a quasi-villain and then Paris Hilton shows her face(and sings) to take away any notion of this being just sorta bad. HORRIBLE.
August 29, 2015
As both an outrageously unfortunate product and hamfisted critique of the American economy, Repo! the Genetic Opera may be the most compelling argument against capitalism to date.
August 22, 2015
This is literally my favorite movie
August 12, 2015
Falling somewhere between Rocky Horror, Moulin Rouge! and Eyes Without A Face (with songs!), Repo! The Genetic Opera is the filmic equivalent of what architects call a 'folly'.