The Reptile - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reptile Reviews

½ June 23, 2016
Surprisingly good Hammer Horror film about a small English village being terrorized by a mysterious creature who's killing off the locals, leaving behind only mysterious snake bites. When a new family in town beings investigating the deaths, it's revealed that members of the town have been covering for a girl who became infected by a secret snake tribe on her families last trip to Borneo. The film is directed by John Gilling, who I'm not familiar with, but he brings rich atmosphere to the film and directs some very effective set pieces. I think the main thing this film suffers from is that the story is rather silly, although the script does have an interesting subtext about colonialism.
½ February 21, 2016
Horrifying secret of a cobra-woman living in a small British town are revealed by a new couple to the area. Locals seem generally accepting of deaths from the snake person. Decent, albeit somewhat dated, horror.
February 14, 2015
Man inherits a cottage from his brother who dies of mysterious circumstances in small-town England. It is learned he died from the 'Snake People' who few have heard of outside of Borneo but has spooked all of the locals. Solid Hammer outing for the home of horror entertainment, with a good looking reptile.
March 12, 2014
Low-budget Hammer Horror but one that appeals with a fresh monster and pacy investigation from the terrorised town's newcomers.
½ March 12, 2014
(44%)
A slightly above average attempt from Hammer and a good watch for fans, but with a few less tricks up its sleeve than some of of its similar aged relatives making it by far from one of the best.
February 7, 2014
Another mid-60s entry from Hammer Films (one of a series of movies, including Plague of the Zombies, that was filmed back-to-back using some of the same sets, cast, and crew). You can expect the usual creepy atmosphere and attentive art direction. After a mysterious death before the opening credits, the suspense builds and builds - in fact, pretty much the whole film is just about the central characters trying to figure out what is going on in this desolated Cornish town. Michael Ripper is very charismatic as the helpful publican. The final act wherein we discover what Dr Franklin has brought back with him from India (or further east?) is actually pretty weird, which raises my rating (naturally!). I won't spoil it for you.
June 22, 2013
Classic Hammer Horror which is well acted & directed & features an excellent & unique creature. After inheriting a Cornish cottage Ray Barrett & Jennifer Daniel relocate to it much to the chagrin of the locals who warn them off. It appears there is much more to the stories of something out and about on the moors at night than is first believed. Tense throughout & some wonderful moments at its climax, this remains a solid movie that has aged very well.
May 24, 2013
"The Reptile" Was A Problematic Production From The Start. The Budget Was Tight Even By Hammer's Standards, & Director John Gilling Was Disappointed By Anthony Hinds' Script That He More Or Less Wrote It As It Went Along. The Reptile Make-Up Worn By Jacqueline Pearce Was Hard To Perfect, Pearce Was Recalled For A Number Of Reshoots. Subdued Lighting & Sharp Editing Covered Up The Imperfections Of The Make-Up.

The End Result Is A Typical & Enjoyable Hammer Horror Which Sadly Doesn't Capture The Gothic Atmosphere As Well As Most Hammer Horror's But All In The Film Is Extremely Well Put Together With A Decent Script And A Decent Cast Of Lesser Known British Actor's & A Some-What Memorable Monster That Kills Her Victims By Poisoning Them. A Great Film If You've Got 90 Minutes To Spare.
½ February 10, 2013
Not bad when it finally gets going.
½ January 23, 2013
a nice change of pace with different take on classic horror monsters. slightly reminiscent of The Gorgon. can't go wrong with an old Hammer film.
½ January 22, 2013
good hammer monster film.
½ December 29, 2012
This is what happens when you move to Cornwall. A couple move into a cottage left to them by the man's deceased brother. But when they arrive they find that mysterious deaths plague the quiet countryside. This film was fantastic fun, and looked stunning on Blu-ray. There are a series of interesting characters, especially the Dr. Franklyn, who is very abrasive and cold, but all for good reason. You get a real sense, thanks to Willman's performance, that there is a kind and considerate man trying to get out. The make-up is amazing and the monster is very unsettling to look at. I believe this may be my first real Hammer film that I've seen and I can't wait to watch some more. Chilling, fun, and also a bit camp around the edges.
October 24, 2012
Efficient chiller from Hammer...absorbing and atmospheric--Fine entry in the Hammer Horror cycle!!
October 18, 2012
While not as effective as Hammer's other horror films, it more or less works. An average flick.
½ October 8, 2012
I was interested to read, after I had seen both films, that this shared a set with The Plague of the Zombies. It gives The Reptile a familiar feel but also in a way it lends a continuity to the films. The Reptile is another solid Hammer instalment, the story is told in a nicely paced manner and like Zombie's has that brooding quality that Hammer productions seemed to exude effortlessly. I have to add that I was waiting for John Laurie's ramblings to culminate with the refrain "we're doomed". It turns out I wasn't watching Dad's Army. Another hit, I was afraid of Creature From the Black Lagoon-lite but this has plenty of merit on its own terms.
June 11, 2012
Made back to back with The Plauge of the Zombies,and while that film is held in high regard ,this one seems to have been a little forgotten which is a shame as its pretty good in its own right.
The set up is classic Hammer strange goings on in a Cornish village where people keep turning up dead with blackened faces foaming at the mouth.

Whats the cause ? well the villagers wont say and any newcomers are given that impression despite the fact the body count is verging on double figures.
The clues are presented in a nice old fashioned way and the film gets plenty of milage from its Cornish gothic surrondings with plenty of misty desolate locations .
One can see when watching this Part of the film where John Landis came up with the ideas for the Slaughtered Lamb parts of American Werewolf In London.

The repitile itself isnt half bad considering its 1966 and the film has plenty of light scares to keep the film fans happy.

Whereas the latter Hammer films became a parody this really has stood the test of time to become one of the studios more classier projects.
June 5, 2012
I was really disappointed. Parts of it were great though.
½ April 30, 2012
Oh it was okay I guess! Hammer had some great ideas but they never quite came off well - I think more humour is needed, the characters are much too serious for what is essentially farcical material!
April 24, 2012
From Hammer Films, written by Hammer veteran Anthony Hinds (writing under the alias of John Elder), and directed by John Gilling (The Plague of the Zombies (1966) and The Mummy's Shroud (1967)), this is a creepy gothic horror which is effective with some dated effects, but it'll do for an hour and a half. Set around the turn of the century, it begins when Charles Edward Spalding (David Baron) is murdered by an unseen creature that infects his skin, something which the locals the 'Black Death'. Charles' brother Harry Spalding (Ray Barrett) inherits his late brother's cottage, which he decides to move into with his new bride Valerie (Jennifer Daniel). The local villagers stay away from Harry and Valerie, but the local innkeeper Tom Bailey (Michael Ripper) is the only one willing to help them. Harry and Valerie find their cottage trashed and their neighbour Dr. Franklyn (Noel Willman), is cold and cruel, and he treats his daughter Anna (Jacqueline Pearce) badly as well, and he has a sinister manservant called Malay (Marne Maitland). But, the deaths start all over again, beginning with drunk Mad Peter (John Laurie). It's a dark horror film, (it shares the same sets as The Plague of the Zombies, as well as much of the same crew.) Even if the make-up, when it comes eventually, looks a bit corny and laughable, it manages to stay interesting for it's duration. Just what you'd expect from Hammer then.
½ April 15, 2012
definitely one of my favourites.haunting score great location and super monster.great late night viewing