Requiem for a Dream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Requiem for a Dream Reviews

May 9, 2017
170509: Hypnotic and disturbingly grim. Rated R for good reason.
May 6, 2017
I'm Keeping This Movie On DVD.
April 26, 2017
One of cinema's most horrifying and memorable statements on drug use and the toll it takes on the lives of addicts and those around them.
April 25, 2017
Horrifying, fascinating, and visceral. Disgusting and depressing without being a tired slasher or cliché horror film. Practically indescribable, and the only way to understand my rating is to see it. Not suitable for most people, however-the intimate dive into the depths of drug addiction and subsequent insanity are too much for some to stomach.
½ April 20, 2017
Requiem for a Dream is not an easy watch. I am desensitise to most things but even I winced a couple of times when watching this. This makes Trainspotting look like the Teletubbies in terms of its horribly graphic depiction of drugs. Four of the best combined performances in modern cinema help that. Jared Leto is scarily convincing, Ellen Burstyn is almost traumatising to watch, Jennifer Connelly is also worrying because of how good she is and Marlon Wayans is terrific as well, he should have done more serious films, he is a great actor. He stole most of the scenes he was in. The colour pallet in this film is also genius. Everything is very dull, like their lives apart from the few things that bring them joy, like the red dress. Having one of the most iconic movie scores of all time helps too.
April 15, 2017
Wanted to give it five stars but tablet would not let me. This movie is extremely intense extremely real. Recommend everyone should see
April 9, 2017
Gritty presentation of the realistic possibilities of addiction and the broken lives that circle around it.
April 8, 2017
Difficult to watch, but necessary. A drug movie that looks at different forms of addiction, aging, and loneliness. Pacing slips a little towards the end.
April 4, 2017
I found Requiem For a Dream to be much more scarier than most modern horror movies nowadays. It is probably one of the most horrifying horror movies created.

This movie details how 4 people have their lives ruined as a result of repeated drug use. The film shows how their actions affect their lives.

This is a movie where you can't watch it a second time. It has nothing to do with its quality but the reason is because you don't know if you can put yourself through another viewing of it. What makes this film so horrifying is that the events that are detailed can actually happen and they have happened before. The first 2/3 of this are bearable but near the end, it gets highly frightening as it shows how their actions effected them.

The acting is magnificent. All main characters give strong performances which allow us to get more immersed in certain parts of it. Ellyn Burnstyn and Jenniffer Connely did amazing performances and Marlon Waynes was a shocker in such a serious role. Sara (played by Ellyn Burnstyn) is the saddest character who we feel sorry for the most. She plays someone who gets addicted to diet pills her doctor prescribes. I felt sorry for the rest of the characters but I felt sorry for Sara much more.

This film must be watched by everyone. Not just for its frightening imagery but for its educational value. In school, we've been told "don't do drugs" several times in but in order to know how truly frightening the consequences of drug use can be, you need to watch this film. It's hard to watch but it will stick with you long after viewing it. This is by far the most powerful anti-drug film ever made.
March 27, 2017
Good movie, satisfying story, distracting cinematography.
March 19, 2017
A movie about drug addiction. The rise, and the hard fall. Really well edited. Of course Ellen Burstyn is amazing. One of my all time favorites.
March 12, 2017
Clever, but I didn't like it. I'm sure it follows in the same vein as Trainspotting. A movie I have yet to see. Or want to. Too many scene splicing montage action, and heavy with the chaos of several characters experiencing intense endeavors.
March 6, 2017
Requiem for a Dream is too good for words to describe, and I have never seen before such an intense drama like this, and trust me, no junkie is going to be doing drugs after this. The story revolves around four people who become addicted to drugs and their lives slowly become worthless. The storyline was too incredible for words, this movie is the greatest anti drug film ever, and it shows people that any kind of addiction will lead to nothing but terrible things. The cast was amazing and I think the performance I will remember the most will be Ellen Burnstyn, she was incredible. The cinematography was also a great importance, Aronofsky uses the camera to make us feel like how they feel, and it truly was some one of a kind camerawork. It was a total nightmare in the final scene of the movie, pure horror. Requiem for a Dream is a work of sheer genius, and this film will horify your mind until the day you die, and all my life I have seen my peers get in to that stuff and I will just never understand why, and I am glad they created this ingenious movie, because it has a great lesson some people need to see, I completely and indefinently loved Requiem for a Dream.
February 25, 2017
This movie embodies the bleakness of being young without money or prospects, while also being representative for being old, insecure and lonely. I loved every single second of it.
February 23, 2017
Requiem for a Dream is a great look into addiction and what drugs can do to people. It is hard to watch at times, but worth the watch.
February 13, 2017
A very sad, and perhaps stereotypical view of the drug world, but overall I felt connected to the characters. Some great acting, and definitely gives you a rush, although the comedown is a little bleak. maybe that was the point. overall I liked it, but a re-watch isn't necessary ... but I probably will, if I get the craving .
February 13, 2017
This shocking film tell us a story about people, who want their wishes come true. They can pay a lot to get this what they want.
½ February 11, 2017
what a movie!! absolutely mind blowing experience...
February 10, 2017
A beautiful, disgusting, masterpiece sure to leave one with a sickening feeling in their stomach.
Grade: A+
February 7, 2017
Disturbing, messed up and beautifully made. Requiem for a Dream was definitely one of a kind with great cinematography.