Requiem for a Dream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Requiem for a Dream Reviews

September 16, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Darren Aronofsky en todo su esplendor como director. Requiem for a Dream nos cuenta una historia poderosa, visceral, impactante y con una sincera, profunda y crítica visión hacia el extremismo de las adicciones humanas. Brillantes actuaciones y un estilo visual despampanante.
½ September 16, 2017
An intense and superbly acted Aronofsky film, this emotional experience underscores his remarkable directorial talents.
½ September 15, 2017
absolutely hated this movie. if you are wanting to kill yourself, this is the movie to put you over the edge.
September 10, 2017
10/10
Requiem for a dream is the most intense movie I've ever seen, every single actor in this movie is amazing, but the best of them all is Ellen Burstyn, although Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly offered one of the best performances I ever Seen,Ellen Burstyn gives the best emotion acting I've ever seen , everything u can think of a movie, now think of a movie that does that everything that u can think of a movie right, u got this movie. It's perfect. the score and the events that take place keep ur heart pounding the whole time , this is not for the faint hearted as there are imagery and scenes that are very well done, so well done as it is a psychological horror that stick to ur mind, it's so friggin intense, this is not a heartwarming family movie at all , this is a film that challenges u and makes u sweat all over,every scene with Ellen Burstyn as Sara Goldfarb is so intense I don't even wanna see it, it's so effective it makes u scream from the insides,Ellen is so good u think of her character as the main one, although there should be no main character in this drama, The only flaws are the opening credits, and Marlon Wayans feel inferior as everyone is so good
September 9, 2017
Requiem for a Dream is a legitimate cinematic nightmare that takes viewers on a devastatingly real spiral into full-blown drug addiction. At times hard to watch, but even harder to forget, the film's pitch-perfect performances and spellbinding visual storytelling make it Darren Aronofsky's masterpiece.
September 8, 2017
Don't do drugs kids!
½ September 3, 2017
Requiem for a Dream (2000), directed by Darren Aronofsky, kind of makes you wonder about the filmmaker's past, and just what spurred him to make a movie as dark and depressing as this. It practically screams "Don't do drugs, kids!" but it does so in the artsy kind of way that keeps you enthralled and never even approaches the area of preachy. In fact, it just makes you downright scared of addiction.

Ranging from three of the seasons, summer to fall to ultimately winter, the film represents how the characters' lives get darker and colder with each season that progresses. Obviously, summer being the brightest and warmest, and winter being the darkest and coldest.

Addiction is a real thing, and throughout the film, you'll see through Aronofsky's eyes the kind of effects it can (will) have on you. Throw in a beautiful, melancholy score, and you get a touching motion picture that you'll never forget. I can actually hear the Lux Aeterna melody as I write this, but that's probably because I'm listening to it right now.

Requiem for a Dream hosts four main characters, Ellen Burstyn as Sara Goldfarb, a more serious than normal Marlon Wayans as Tyrone, Jennifer Connelly as Marion, and Jared Leto as Harry Goldfarb, who has ties with each of the other three characters (mother, friend, girlfriend). Each of them is or will become addicted. And each of them meets different, yet terrible, fates in the end.

Ellen Burstyn brings the character of Sara Goldfarb to life so well that it makes me never want to grow old. Starting out as a sweet, (if a little kooky) lonely old woman, her quest to become beautiful again for her game show appearance that she can't wait for causes her to become addicted to diet pills, and everything in her life spirals out of control from there.

This film is not for everyone. If you'd rather watch a feel-good movie where the protagonist(s) prevail and everybody is happy in the end, you should probably stay away from Requiem for a Dream. Everyone else - come into this movie with an open mind and just enjoy the ride (if that's the correct phrase) that Aronofsky is about to take you through.
September 1, 2017
The feeling I felt at the end of the film was the most absolute sadness, for having witnessed a tragedy so announced and at the same time so inevitable. Because "Requiem for a dream" is this: a hard and sad movie, as if someone punched him in the stomach. A precise mixture of despair and melancholy, which shows that we should rather dream, but that we must also be aware that no dream is worth it if it is to be achieved that we simply have to sell our soul. A great movie!
September 1, 2017
Aronofsky crafts a heartbreaking film that shows the downward spiral of four individuals as a result of addiction. Leto and Connnelly are great, but it's Ellen Burstyn that truly shines - even if her story is the one that feels the least necessary.
½ August 24, 2017
It's not a horror movie, but it's one of the most unsettling movies I've ever seen. The style that this film has is also incredible and unique, I really praise he second short segments shot during the drug taking scenes. The acting is also extremely powerful. This is a movie that likes to fuck with your mind, and it's by far the scariest, most disturbing non-horror movie I've ever seen, which is why it's so good. The score is also very eerie and haunting. Overall, it may not have the age yet to become a classic, but when it does, it's gonna be one hell of a classic. Recommended for sure !!
August 23, 2017
What a masterpiece! The acting was so amazing as it was from Jared Leto, Jennifer Connely and especially Ellen Burstyn. I just loved it! The emotions were so strong in it and it was so realistic! The music suited perfectly to the movie. I think this movie could even be a great prevention against drugs as we see how a couple gets destroyed, how a mother keeps living in her lonely crazy world, obsessed by the idea of being a TV star and finally how a lonely guy who is fighting for his life found himself devastated by drugs all around him.
It was a great work by Darren Aronofsky.
I really enjoy his movies in the way he insists on the psychological aspects of the protagonists.
August 15, 2017
A gut-wrenching kick to the stomach, Requiem for a Dream is hypnotic and its message never leaves your mind.
August 12, 2017
This is the best movie ever created.
August 11, 2017
One of the most powerful movie's and real life experience you'll have, especially if you never been around drug addiction. Great set of cast and tremendously well acted. Personal top 10 movies ever. Must watch.
½ August 5, 2017
Today I watched my cat take a dump in the yard. He spent a solid 3-5 minutes trying to bury it. I walked over and it wasn't even close to being sprinkled with dirt and grass. And it smelled really bad.
Watching my cat shit in the yard and unsuccessfully bury it was better than watching requiem for a dream
½ August 4, 2017
One of the all-time most disturbing movies; manages to obliterate my soul every time. GIMME THAT JUICE.
July 20, 2017
Moral of the story - don't do drugs kids. I say that cynically of coarse. But the fact is that these characters stories could happen to anyone and probably has happened to some people, sadly.

On a less negative note, I think Ellen Burstyn's performance was phenomenal. I think she deserves every Emmy every award, ever accolade possible for what she achieved in this movie. Fantastic performance.

Overall, great film with very disturbing themes and a genuine Aronofsky experience. One time watch I think.
June 26, 2017
Darren Aronofsky's brilliant, dark masterpiece about the world of drugs and addiction is a nightmarish tale that is pretty hard to shake once you see it. Every single damned member of it's cast does a powerhouse performance here, and the film gains points for it's ultra-downer but sadly realistic ending. The film is every bit as sad and dark as it's title suggests. There is no light at the end of the tunnel here, only more darkness.
June 1, 2017
This movie is fantastic.A must see.
May 31, 2017
Visceral, inventive, hallucinatory, and downright terrifying. Darren Aronofsky has made something that is objectively compelling. This is strong Gen X filmmaking that also plays host to one of the strongest performances of modern cinema: Ellen Burstyn's transformative performance as Sara Goldfarb.

It's a masterpiece with purposeful hip-hop music video energy about age, addiction, greed, and empty, desperate clawing toward status. The characters in this cautionary tale all begin with focused gaze and perseverance, which devolve into a nightmare of sin, evil, and shame.