Rescue Dawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rescue Dawn Reviews

October 30, 2015
Nutty nut. Not impressed.
October 16, 2015
Beautiful to look at- and believable to the point of painful. A fantastic hidden gem.
½ October 14, 2015
The direction is amazing and beautiful but something about Bale's performance irked me. The weight loss was unreal butt how he played the character's attitude towards his situation just felt unrealistic and took me out of the story.
October 11, 2015
A compelling tale of survival and despair. Rescue Dawn is a taut real-life thriller that features one of Christian Bale's best performances of his career. It is a powerful story expertly directed by Werner Herzog. Not an easy viewing, but it is an essential viewing for those who are not familiar with the Vietnam war, and the hardships Dieter Dengler went through.
½ October 6, 2015
Fine war/prisioner movie that's performance give weight to this movie.
½ October 5, 2015
Director Werner Herzog makes a fantastic survival story with Rescue dawn, a true life story that's realistically shot and anchored by Christian Bale's amazingly human performance.
½ September 30, 2015
Noget af en °rken... °h ... junglevandring.
½ August 15, 2015
Really good movie. Werner Herzog does a very nicely straight portrayal of our guys that have gone MIA in Vietnam, and our held captive in the Vietcong jungles. Christian Bale does a fine job as the over the top German/American fighter pilot, who gets shot down during a bomb raid. The movie does a good job at showing the harshness, the cruelty, and the survival attics they go through once in the Vietcong prison and once they make their famous escape that almost goes ape shit when Jeremy Piven who does a really good job as one of the captured Americans who gets cold feet during the American breakout from the prison camp they are in. Steven Zhan does a pretty good job at times, but I just wonder if maybe another actor would have been better for the role as I feel him and Christian Bale were a little bit of an odd choice, but he did a fine job otherwise. Christian Bale I will say is definitely one of my favorite actors these days in the movies, and really look forward to many more of his performances for years to come, as I truly believe he is the Daniel Day Lewis of our era.
½ July 4, 2015
Rescue Dawn seems like a typical survival movie. Yes, it is.
But the performance made this movie excellent. I have no idea how Christian Bale prepared for his role.
Christian Bale is Brilliant!! Actually the whole cast is amazing. I even cried at the end of the movie not because I was sad, but because I was happy. In the end, I would say Rescue Dawn is an inspirational excellent movie and I am very glad that I just watched this beautiful movie.
½ June 22, 2015
Acting: 4 stars

Intrigue: 3 1/2 stars

Plot: 4 stars

A shocking historic story with strong performances from Bale and his fellow prisoners. Has a slightly cheesy start with a couple of quiet, dragging scenes, but is finished with a satisfying ending. A great film for war movie lovers.

Overall: Worth It
May 30, 2015
Inspired by true events, Rescue Dawn is a harrowing tale of survival. The story follows Navy pilot Dieter Dengler who's shot down in Laos during the Vietnam War and is imprisoned in a Viet Cong internment camp until he and his fellow POWs attempt a daring escape. Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, and Jeremy Davies all give incredible performances. And, writer/director Werner Herzog does an impressive job at bringing a gritty realism to the film. However, the pacing is kind of slow, and the narrative is weak and hard to follow at times. Yet despite its problems, Rescue Dawn delivers a compelling tale of heroism.
May 30, 2015
Christian Bale's excellent performance shows the maddening effects of confinement and search for rescue. The film's slow pace helps audiences gain an understanding of Dengler's experience, but it will bore those seeking a thrill.
½ May 28, 2015
Great acting from Bale, a great true story, and a very good film.
May 21, 2015
Pas d'effet speciaux, ni mille et une bombe.. Juste du bon acting et superbe histoire de courage. L'histoire vrai de Dieter Dengler.
½ March 30, 2015
If you're a fan of Christian Bale you have to see this movie. This and American Psycho are his best performances, in my opinion. He usually plays roles where he's strong and in control, it's interesting to see him start as his typical self, then humbled by the prison camp and the jungle.
½ February 6, 2015
In 1965, an American pilot on a top secret bombing mission was shot down over Laos and taken to a prison camp deep in the impenetrable jungle of Vietnam. The pilot's name is Dieter Dengler and he goes through some harrowing experience while he is there with his prison mates. Soon they plan a escape, but the real prison isn't the prison camp itself but the whole jungle. Inspired by the true story of Dieter Dengler(Christian Bale), this was a exhilarating experience. It stands as a true testament to the impossible boundaries of the human condition, like it says in the back of the DVD/Blu-ray cover. This was a excellent film and gives "Cast Away" a run for it's money. Christian Bale really brought his A game into this movie and his acting was very well executed like the rest of the movie. He played Dieter Dengler in a charismatic and very likable way, to the point you actually really care for his character. The insanity that consumes the prisoners was believable and the escape plan part of the story was well done as well and it was interesting and involving. I must say this is also a feel good movie and doesn't keep you depressed at the end of the film, which was a breath of fresh air. But it was a gripping film that had my attention from beginning to end, and it was effecting and engrossing. I however found something to be missing, maybe the intellectual depth or maybe it's cause it's a bit too American. lol! :P
½ January 29, 2015
I appreciated the film on a number of different levels. But, found myself unimpressed with the ad-lib dialogue that often seemed forced and awkwardly inhuman. The documentary-esque style of filming was impressive at times and the method approach that Bale gave with his performance was shocking at times yet not altogether there as a whole performance. The entirety of the film came off as slightly pretentious and laughable due to the loopy misdirection of Herzog. It was a strange approach to a story with a number of loose-ends that never get tied up. A little disappointing being a fair-weather fan of Herzog and Bale alike.
½ January 27, 2015
Quite an unusual story and an even more unusual way to shoot it. Directed by legendary film maker Werner Herzog, this tale of a German pilot being held prisoner during the Vietnam war, in one of their death camp, is a tough piece of film making and quite a detailed depiction of the daily privations, humiliations and tortures men had to face. It's raw, uncompromising & very well done. Keeping it low key, Herzog maintains a sense of ungency, death & survival rarely shown in films. Great cast, great locations.... one of these films that stays with you for days on....
January 18, 2015
Incredible film based on the true story about a POW escapee in the Laotian jungle.....the film has just enough drama and dialogue to bring you in and the solid acting from Bale and Zhan keeps the film entertaining ! 3 stars
January 2, 2015
A true story based Vietnam movie about a pilote "Christian Bale" crashing and captured by the enemy. The movie take place mostly in the camp/prison and its not many action scenes but quite decent anyway..