Rescue Dawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rescue Dawn Reviews

½ December 24, 2015
Rescue Dawn is uncompromising and unashamed. Christian Bale's performance leads the man vs. nature battle in a compelling and overall satisfying direction. But its not a movie I'd watch twice.
December 19, 2015
Great war thriller-drama. Bale and Zahn put on incredible performances, with this being Steve Zahn's best performance we've ever seen!
½ December 12, 2015
Rescue Dawn immerses you in its hostile, overgrown atmosphere and Christian Bale leads you through his brutal experience with a great performance.
November 22, 2015
Un unusually normal film for Werner Herzog; I guess he just wanted to show the world that German soldiers can be heroes too. The German who's story is told here is played by Welshman Christian Bale. The story is about a U.S. soldier who is captured by the north Vietnamese and put in a camp. From that point on the film is pretty minimal, but still ok, some good performances but in comparison to a lot of other true war stories, this is not spectacular.
½ November 14, 2015
I will definitely remember more of Christian Bale's struggle in there Vietnam war here than Robert De Niro in The Deer Hunter.
November 1, 2015
Undoubtedly one of my favourite movies on the topic, Rescue Dawn is a powerful war drama, illuminated by great performances and by a clever directing.
October 31, 2015
beautifully shot but didnt feel terribly original even though it is based on real events, with a slightly bewildering ending that tonally didnt gel with the rest of the film
October 30, 2015
Nutty nut. Not impressed.
October 16, 2015
Beautiful to look at- and believable to the point of painful. A fantastic hidden gem.
½ October 14, 2015
The direction is amazing and beautiful but something about Bale's performance irked me. The weight loss was unreal butt how he played the character's attitude towards his situation just felt unrealistic and took me out of the story.
October 11, 2015
A compelling tale of survival and despair. Rescue Dawn is a taut real-life thriller that features one of Christian Bale's best performances of his career. It is a powerful story expertly directed by Werner Herzog. Not an easy viewing, but it is an essential viewing for those who are not familiar with the Vietnam war, and the hardships Dieter Dengler went through.
½ October 6, 2015
Fine war/prisioner movie that's performance give weight to this movie.
½ October 5, 2015
Director Werner Herzog makes a fantastic survival story with Rescue dawn, a true life story that's realistically shot and anchored by Christian Bale's amazingly human performance.
½ September 30, 2015
Noget af en °rken... °h ... junglevandring.
½ August 15, 2015
Really good movie. Werner Herzog does a very nicely straight portrayal of our guys that have gone MIA in Vietnam, and our held captive in the Vietcong jungles. Christian Bale does a fine job as the over the top German/American fighter pilot, who gets shot down during a bomb raid. The movie does a good job at showing the harshness, the cruelty, and the survival attics they go through once in the Vietcong prison and once they make their famous escape that almost goes ape shit when Jeremy Piven who does a really good job as one of the captured Americans who gets cold feet during the American breakout from the prison camp they are in. Steven Zhan does a pretty good job at times, but I just wonder if maybe another actor would have been better for the role as I feel him and Christian Bale were a little bit of an odd choice, but he did a fine job otherwise. Christian Bale I will say is definitely one of my favorite actors these days in the movies, and really look forward to many more of his performances for years to come, as I truly believe he is the Daniel Day Lewis of our era.
½ July 4, 2015
Rescue Dawn seems like a typical survival movie. Yes, it is.
But the performance made this movie excellent. I have no idea how Christian Bale prepared for his role.
Christian Bale is Brilliant!! Actually the whole cast is amazing. I even cried at the end of the movie not because I was sad, but because I was happy. In the end, I would say Rescue Dawn is an inspirational excellent movie and I am very glad that I just watched this beautiful movie.
½ June 22, 2015
Acting: 4 stars

Intrigue: 3 1/2 stars

Plot: 4 stars

A shocking historic story with strong performances from Bale and his fellow prisoners. Has a slightly cheesy start with a couple of quiet, dragging scenes, but is finished with a satisfying ending. A great film for war movie lovers.

Overall: Worth It
May 30, 2015
Inspired by true events, Rescue Dawn is a harrowing tale of survival. The story follows Navy pilot Dieter Dengler who's shot down in Laos during the Vietnam War and is imprisoned in a Viet Cong internment camp until he and his fellow POWs attempt a daring escape. Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, and Jeremy Davies all give incredible performances. And, writer/director Werner Herzog does an impressive job at bringing a gritty realism to the film. However, the pacing is kind of slow, and the narrative is weak and hard to follow at times. Yet despite its problems, Rescue Dawn delivers a compelling tale of heroism.
May 30, 2015
Christian Bale's excellent performance shows the maddening effects of confinement and search for rescue. The film's slow pace helps audiences gain an understanding of Dengler's experience, but it will bore those seeking a thrill.
½ May 28, 2015
Great acting from Bale, a great true story, and a very good film.