The Rescuers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rescuers Reviews

June 21, 2014
Loved this one as a kid! Still pretty cute.
May 4, 2014
I sorta remember this movie it was a great family movie but I still wouldn't watch it that much!
May 3, 2014
When Disney was about dead, this fun little gem came along. Not the caliber of the classics or anything of today, but admirable to say the least.
½ March 27, 2014
A very good children's film and one that kids will certainly like. The unique characters and the adventure aspect make for a very fun experience, even if the formula is a tad overused
March 13, 2014
Classic Disney movie!
½ March 1, 2014
AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! The Netflix version of this is just that a "Version"! It is not the original. If you stream this from Netflix you will NOT hear Bob Newhart, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Geraldine Page, Pat Buttram, Joe Flynn or any of the original actors!! Some of the actors do a decent impersonation but it's not them. Why they did this I don't know and cannot find online but it ruined the movie for me since I expected the real cast of voices. Luckily my kids didn't know the difference but I did. What gives with this?! If Netflix has the rights to the movie why are they showing this bastardized version?! It makes me hesitant to try any other Disney animated movies on Netflix for the fear they'll all be bastardized with different voices. Let your kids watch but go do something else!!
February 23, 2014
The mice had great chemistry and it was a comfortable Disney Tale.
½ February 21, 2014
Reviews for Walt Disney Animated Studios. #23
½ February 13, 2014
This Disney classic may not be the strongest of their past, but it still contains expressive characters (Orville the albatross is one of the best) and a wholesome plot. The film is highly enjoyable.
½ February 4, 2014
a little dark, but good.
January 31, 2014
Bernard, Miss Bianca, and Penny are lovable characters while the villain, Madam Medusa, was really fun to hate!
January 12, 2014
For whatever reason, this is not as fondly remembered as a lot of Disney classics. I'm a fan of this adventurous outing, though.
December 30, 2013
"Yeah, but two little mice.. what- what can you do?"

In the 1970's, the Disney studios were in a crisis. Walt had died in 1966, and the animation features released since The Jungle Book have either done OK or just plain flopped. By 1977, animation was more successful in television, such as Rankin/Bass and Hanna-Barbera. But Disney just doesn't give up. Developing a mystery cartoon adventure based on a series of books, The Rescuers was a success at the box-office, and was considered by critics to be the beginning of a second golden era for the studio. While that era didn't begin until 1989 with the huge success of The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers is a fun and delightful Disney film released in the "Dark Age" era.

A girl named Penny drops a bottle with a message for help in the ocean. That bottle is discovered by the Rescue Aid Society, a group of mice from different countries who meet inside, appropriately, the United Nations. The Hungarian mouse, Bianca, decides to take the assignment to find the girl, along with Bernard, the mouse janitor. They fly an albatross named Orville to the swamp of Devil's Bayou to rescue Penny from the villainous Madame Medusa, who intends to use the girl to find a missing diamond called "The Devils Eye" for her own intentions.

The animation is nice for a traditional hand-drawn Disney film. People might complain that the animation looks too cheaply drawn, but remember that in the 1970's, Disney was heavily broke and couldn't do too much. I believe that the animation looks cool for a film like this. The dark, murky looks of the swamp, the detail of New York City, it may not be Disney's strongest animation, but at least it's not the worst the studio has provided (Alice in Wonderland, cough cough). There's also a little bit of recycled animation here, but it's not as overdone as let's say, Robin Hodd where they use the same shot like 10 times. But the title sequence is very disappointing for a film like this. It showcases the journey of the bottle, but instead of strong animation, we are instead treated of a dull sequence with ugly paintings, making the sequence feel like a cheesy comic book. Despite a powerful song called "The Journey", the dull paintings didn't help. When you see shots of birds in the air, I didn't feel any emotions in the shot. That shows how disappointing the sequence is.

But that doesn't mean I hate The Rescuers. Actually, it's a fun movie. I liked the mysterious tone shown in the film. Even more memorable than the tone is the score. The bass lines are very catchy and there's some moving sounds throughout it. I also liked the songs used in the film. Besides the already-mentioned "The Journey", there's the decently enjoyable "Tomorrow's Another Day", and the beautiful, Oscar-nominated ballad "Someone's Waiting For You." Be sure to look for a cameo appearance by Bambi and his mom in this scene. (And I thought they killed his mother).

But the most entertaining thing about The Rescuers is the characters. The two mice, Bernard and Bianca, make a cute couple, and the voice roles by Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor are perfect. Bernard is very superstitious about the number 13 and has a fear of flying. Bianca loves all kinds of adventure and suspense. Other memorable characters include the albatross Orville, a redneck mouse couple (the husband voiced by Pat Buttram), and the dragonfly Evinrude (clear reference to the boat motor). The villain Madame Medusa is fantastic. She's creepy, she's crazy, has two creepy crocodiles as guards, and even uses a gun on the girl she abducts. Her sidekick, Snoops, is good for comic relief. And the girl Penny? She's a cute kid, and I liked her personality, but the overdramatic whininess about the teddy bear was a bit too much. She's like "Oh. I don't want by teddy bear wet." I kept thinking, "When are they going to kill that teddy bear?" Seriously, that teddy bear talk was very annoying. No offense about the kid, I liked her, but when I was a kid and I had a stuffed animal, I wasn't this crazy about it.

The animation might not be perfect, the title sequence may be very disappointing, the kid's craze about the teddy bear may be very annoying, but in the end, The Rescuers is a fun, entertaining, funny, and thrilling post-Walt Disney film. It's not Fantasia or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but it's a fun, underrated Disney film.
½ December 19, 2013
Olivia & I watched it. It's been forever since I saw it, but I remembered a lot from watching it as a little kid.
½ December 18, 2013
"The Rescuers" has a lot going for it, but fails to deliver on its promise of being a superior animated movie. Compared to other Disney flicks the characters are lacking and the themes are underdeveloped. Still, it's amusing to see Bob Newhart playing himself as an animated mouse.
½ November 30, 2013
Between the golden age of Disney animation in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s and the far shorter second golden age of the 90s was a period dominated by odd, awkward features like "The Rescuers." Some of the oddness in this movie works to its benefit: Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor are unlikely voice actors, being so understated and somehow "adult", but they are very cute as heroes from a literal mouse United Nations called the Rescue Aid Society. It must be largely due to their chemistry and vocal talents that "The Rescuers" eventually got a sequel. Some of the movie's oddness, though, makes "The Rescuers" an actively unpleasant experience: a maudlin take on child slavery, trailer-trash mice in a dismal bayou, and music that sounds like bad karaoke of B-side 70s folk. The characters and some of the animation seem lifted from earlier Disney films, which was something the studio did all too frequently around this time. The depiction of the main baddie is a trashier, less enlightened version of "101 Dalmatian"'s Cruella DeVille, and much of the supporting cast is straight out of "Robin Hood" (which in turn had imported many of its characters from "The Jungle Book"). In addition to Newhart and Gabor, glimpses of the painterly artistic talents of Don Bluth, who worked for Disney before directing his own darker and more fantastical movies, makes "The Rescuers" just barely worth watching.
November 27, 2013
It's a fun film, but not one of Disney's best.
November 14, 2013
The Rescuers is a great Disney film, one that was a breath of fresh air during a time of Disney turmoil, but it is also one of their more adult oriented stories up to that point. It is a very somber story with great emotional attachment and a masterfully written screenplay. The characterizations of Bernard, Bianca, Penny, and Medusa are all so vivid, and flow perfectly with the story and the sharp dialogue. However, the biggest surprise and relief of this film comes from the intricate and imaginative animation, every frame pulses with the perfect tone and tension. Honestly, it is probably the most well animated film Disney made since Sleeping Beauty. Also, the songs are so soothing, and mainly serve as an overtone for the courageous and heart-warming spirit of the mice, but they are so well written and performed that I think they stand out more than they were intended to. To conclude, The Rescuers is a very well crafted film that will appeal to children and adults alike, it features memorable and clearly painted characters that are perfect for the beautiful animation, and is probably a top 15 Disney film.
½ November 9, 2013
This is the worst of all the Disney Classics.
November 1, 2013
The Rescuers has witty dialogue to generate lots of laughs, but it's the strong emotional depth that wins this movie over.