Resident Evil: Damnation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Damnation Reviews

August 21, 2016
One of the best animations (movie), based in a game, the history,characters,and the animation
July 30, 2016
Very good CGI film, It stays true to the games better than Degeneration and it would of made a great game too, The CGI was brilliant, The action sequences were great and entertaining, They always have to leave it open for a sequel which I don't like but if you're a fan of the games then you won't be dissapointed.
May 20, 2016
I loved the animation. It was very well done. I also really enjoyed that they included my favorite monster in the Resident Evil games! The giant bald tyrants!
April 6, 2016
the best Resident Evil film currently available.
½ March 7, 2016
This film is better than all the Milla Jovovich's movies.
December 22, 2015
I first heard about this movie when I was watching Phelous, another movie critic that was doing the Resident Evil movies. Both Live action and CGI versions of the movies. This CGI movie is about Leon trying to stop terrorists from trying to take over the fictional nation of "Eastern Slav Republic" even though it's called "the country" most of the time. Leon here is also one of the characters from RE 2 who survived and became an American government agent after the the Racoon City incident. It's explained in RE 4 if that helps at all.

The CGI is better in this movie than the previous CGI movie even though the voice actor for Leon has changed. The CGI is also like I'm watching one of the Resident Evil games with some of the action. The terrorists also use these bio organic weapons or BOW's from the Umbrella Corporation called Lickers. They control them by using a main las plagas parasite for one person. It allows your personality intact but the main plagas will soon take over them eventually.

The las plagas infected act more like zombies at times in the movie. Even though in RE 4 and 5 they were more like people still. Ada Wong is also in this movie and she meets up with Leon in the middle. Both of the voice actors in this movie I think are amazing in this movie too. Ada also explains to Leon that the country will be purged soon and then she leaves.

Later Ada and Leon find out there's a las pagas hive under the county's government building. The terrorists also make their way into the hive as well and to stop the lady president. Then these big guys out of pods come out and try to kill the terrorists and Leon. They get backed near a locked elevator but Ada helps unlock it from somewhere else.

The big guys also surface but then it's discover they're Tyrants, people who bonded with the T-Virus instead of it killing them. Leon tries to stop him but they terrorist guy stops the Tyrant with a tank and then shoots him. Then some more Tyrants show up and Leon and terrorist guy try to escape.

Leon make his last stand but then some American jets come by and shred the last two Tyrants. Since the Americans were keeping an eye on him the whole time. Terriost guy tries to kill himself since he doesn't want to mutate from the main plagas. Leon then takes the gun and says he needs to move forward and seems like he kills him. At the end Ada contacts her superior and says she has a plagas with her. Also terrorist guy lives after the main cast credits roll. Since Leon mentioned something about the risk of having a las pagas removed is death or paralysis. So he shot of his main plagas instead of killing him.

This movie is pretty good compared to the live action RE movies which are kind of boring at times. These CGI movies are pretty good and you should at least give this movie a watch if your a RE fan since newcomers might not understand it.
½ November 13, 2015
Resident Evil : Damnation is very good as an animation and has lots of action/horror. The story is nice and keeps you entertained till the very end.
October 23, 2015
Design très bien réalisé.
½ October 17, 2015
This anime version is really good. Completely out of my expectations.
½ August 29, 2015
With beautiful CGI and hit and miss dialogue that the series is known for, this will strike with fans of the series but few others
June 13, 2015
this follow up cgi is amazing
May 25, 2015
The best video game movie ever made. Period!! A dream come true for any Resident Evil fan. The film has superb animation and voice acting. The setting remains loyal to the RE games and the final boss Tyrant is spectacular and a real homage to the ultimate RE baddy. Hats OFF Capcom, what a SUPERB film you have made.
March 13, 2015
I can see the only reason this was made was for a "take that" on the live action movies. This one remains a lot more faithful to the games and still entertains well. A rarity of a good video game movie.
February 18, 2015
Right I'm gonna be honest here and admit I lost the plot with Resi Evil along time ago. I had the very first original game and followed the plot easily. Since then the story has spiralled off in various directions and has morphed into something quite different from the original simple idea.

Thusly I am completely unable to determine if this new CGI animated sequel is accurate or follows on from any part of the numerous videogames. Of course the bottom line is if you wanna see a good proper Resi Evil flick then this is what you watch, unlike the comicbook style live action films.

Yes this film is bloody and violent with no holds barred on what you expect from the Resi Evil franchise. I'm confident any fans will get a kick outta this new offering with some great creature action, zombie action and your obligatory slow motion action sequences which show off the crisp CGI to the smallest pixel.

For me...I didn't really like it. Why? because the plot is sooooo so unexplained, do you have to be a Resi Evil fanboy to get this? No reason for anything that happens or why, characters are dull and stereotypical plus it just feels like a long videogame ingame sequence, but I guess that can't really be helped. I also found the CGI to be very very good on the human characters, especially facial close ups, but rather average on pretty much everything else! Lip syncing on speech is still somewhat lacking and looks a bit crappy.

As for plot points, I didn't like the fact certain humans can now control the Bio-Organic Weapons through their mind via some kind of technological advancement. That advancement being an 'Alien 3' rip where by the Bio-Organic Weapon uses a human host to live in which creates a connection between the two, eh? I also didn't understand where all this BOW's came from either, this one guy controlled them and there seemed to be a never ending stream of the things...from nowhere.

Other issues cropped up like the zombies going round stuffing these embryo type things down uninfected peoples throats. I guess they were the BOW embryo's that would enable humans to control them, but why would the zombies be doing that? who is controlling the zombies? oh my!
Finally who or what on earth were these huge pale bald Mortal Kombat looking characters in the finale?? Just popped up from nowhere, virtually indestructible and looked like the alien space jockeys from 'Prometheus'.

What really bugs me about Resi Evil now is the fact its become a kind of monster mash with no real suspense anymore. Its just a guns blazing, blood spilling, in your face monster brawl along the lines of Mortal Kombat, the original spooky horror element has faded away for pure adrenaline soaked action. I also feel the whole idea has been milked too much and the Umbrella company lost its mystery yonks ago.

This is definitely the kind of Resi Evil film your looking for if your a fan but for uninitiated folk like myself it may seem a bit hectic and raise many questions. Questions like...what on Titan is going on here?!
December 29, 2014
To be honest, Resident Evil: Damnation is by far my least favorite of the Resident Evil films. Then again, as you can see, that's not really being negative on account of my very positive 4/5 rating. Many would probably say that it's the best of the Resident Evil films, but I still have great fondness for the wild Milla Jovovich antics and I don't mind that those films don't exactly follow the games that I also enjoy. This entry, though flawed, is still a whole lot of fun to watch, especially for fans of over the top action flicks.

The story follows Agent Leon Kennedy who has been sent to the fictional Eastern European country, Eastern Slav Republic, to investigate the country's possible use of BOWs (Bio-Organic Weapons). But before he can begin his mission, he is informed that his mission has been aborted and that he is to retreat immediately.

But, being Leon Kennedy, he promptly ignores the order and goes on the hunt for BOWs, which is immediately confirmed when he has a run-in with Lickers in a parking garage. These Lickers are different however, and even though Leon is vulnerable to be killed at one point, the creature does not at the command of its master and Leon is instead captured by rebel fighters.

Meanwhile, the mysterious Ada Wong, posing as a BSAA agent, meets with the country's president and she reveals that there is a way to control the BOWs for war purposes, which intrigues the government officials as a way to help them in the country's civil war.

Soon Leon and Ada find themselves entangled in the country's civil war plus the over the top Resident Evil brand of biological warfare as a number of the series' favorite creatures make an appearance to duke it out with each other and the humans. Now, Leon must find a way to put an end to all of this to save the world yet again (Damn, this poor guy never seems to get much of a break does he?).

My biggest problem with this Resident Evil entry is its storyline. It wants to be a super-serious political film with torrid drama thrown into the mix, but it also wants to do this while ridiculous scenarios play out like Ada Wong getting into a wild martial arts battle with the country's president like something ripped straight out of a wild Hong Kong action flick or The Matrix. I will give Damnation credit for being rather ambitious in a franchise that is not particularly renowned for storytelling, but its ideas become muddled and create a genre dichotomy that doesn't quite work. I actually became confused trying to follow the storyline because it goes all over the place.

When it comes to the acting, the voice acting is actually quite good and shows a significant improvement from the franchise's early days of hilariously bad voice acting ("You were almost a Jill sandwich!"). It was actually professional and the actors were able to make some scenes that would have fallen flat and made them feel sincere and believable (Well, most of the time, there are a couple of scenes that no one could make sound good). As a whole, the voice acting is terrific.

The best part of Resident Evil: Damnation is the action. This film features some of the most ridiculous and over the top action not only of the franchise itself, but also among virtually any action film released over the last 15 years. The fight scene with the president alone is the shining pinnacle of this film's lunacy and it was an absolute hoot chock-full of excitement and what-the-fuck moments. There's also plenty of other martial arts battles, zombie mayhem, creature mayhem, explosions, gun battles, and more (Including what is quite possibly, the most bizarre anti-suicide scene in the history of cinema. You have to see it to believe it).

While Resident Evil: Damnation partly suffers because it takes itself far too seriously for its own good at some points, it's still a damn fine loony action film. It's a wild ride from start to finish and one of the more bizarre entries of an already strange franchise. Even if you've never played the games or seen the other films, this one is worth watching if you love ridiculous action films.
½ September 27, 2014
United States Special agent Leon S. Kennedy sneaks into a small Eastern Europe country to verify rumors that Bio Organic Weapons (B.O.W.s) are being used in war. Right after his infiltration, the US government orders him to leave immediately. Determined to uncover the truth, Leon ignores the order and enters the battlefield to end the chain of tragedies caused by the B.O.W.s.
½ September 27, 2014
Again a better screenplay than the human-acted editions, but the "boss" battle was a little much.
September 25, 2014
Neo Tyrants vs. Las Plagas Lickers with Leon and Ada! Much better than the live action Resident Evil movies.
½ September 9, 2014
What live action Resident Evil movies should be like.
½ September 7, 2014
Like 'Degeneration' it follows in the universe of the games and not the shitty Mila Jovovich explosofests. The long going plot is still convoluted and the dialogue is still corny but its a damn fun and beautifully rendered spook show and another treat for long faithful fans.