Resident Evil: Degeneration - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Degeneration Reviews

July 1, 2017
Clunky story, clunky animation, but it looks great as long as no one is moving.
jamrcla
June 27, 2017
Being a hardcore Resident Evil fan I was automatically excited for this, I felt relief that they finally made an animated movie and disappointment that they waited so long, (If you don't count the Japanese animated short film that was made in 2000) The film picks up a year after the events of Resident Evil 4 and just before Resident Evil 5 and it fitted in nicely, The story was textbook Resi and the whole movie plays out like the cut scenes in a game, Full of some great action and it even has a classic doomsday countdown just like every game in the series, The animations were very good apart from on Leon who for some reason looked hardly like him and when he wasn't in the thick of the action looked like a robot, Hardly moving and no expression on his face, If you're not a fan of the games then some if not most of the plot won't make sense to you and I think you have to be a big fan to know what's going on and what it's setting up, The lack of horror was disappointing but that's the way the games are going too, It should make most fans happy even if it was probably a scrapped idea for Resident Evil 5.
½ February 24, 2017
Good resident evil story even better than the movies
December 19, 2016
fun over the top faithful to the games and other spurce material
½ November 29, 2016
It Brings Back Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield Of Course I Wanna See It.
½ September 10, 2016
It's disappointing that the zombies are gone after the 30 minute mark. The dialog can get pretty cheesy, the villain is over-the-top cartoonish and some of the waxy animation just isn't up to the standards set by Advent Children.
April 6, 2016
Fans might get some enjoyment out of this but it just won't appease the masses.
½ February 2, 2016
A terrible movie populated by fools, overstuffed with glaring errors and featuring some of the worst dialogue and voice acting I've ever heard. It plays like an extended flash sequence from one of the video games, and it's far too long.
October 22, 2015
A prelude to the game Resident Evil 5, thus made for the fans. It can also be taken as a follow-up to RE: Apocalypse deviating from the way the movie series is going. The purists will love it, but as a film it has enormous plot holes, stupid characters, cheesy dialogue and the animation is subpar.
June 13, 2015
amazing cgi movie to watch
½ March 10, 2015
While it's CG is overwhelmingly good and the action scenes were okay, the story didn't feel very strong.
½ February 16, 2015
This is probably the best Resi film to date simply because it looks like a good computer game with some nice looking CGI. Its also the best all CGI film based on a computer game I've seen, smashing 'Final Fantasy', although its been some time since I've seen that.

The whole plot isn't much to talk about, its the usual zombie/monster thing, running around dark corridors with a torch and escaping huge research labs that keep having huge meltdowns etc...The thing is with these CGI flicks is they are based within the real Resi Evil videogames unlike the dodgy live action films. This alone gives them the edge which even someone like me can recognise, and I'm no fanboy.

Its very atmospheric, you really feel a chill as you follow the characters around. The airport rescue is the most creepy part of the film while the battle against Curtis in mutated form is the most exciting. Despite being released in 2008 this film is actually the first animated Resi Evil film, without going into all the messy details this film will no doubt appeal to the hard core fans big time. Everyone else (such as myself) will find a good horror film but obviously not pick up on all the in-game nods, there are plenty...right??

Its very predictable right to the end, the plot is cliched but its perfect for what it is, which is another chapter in the Resi storyline. Does kinda make you wonder if the bad people in these stories will actually ever learn that making viruses is bad and only results in mass zombie infection problems. Yet no matter what happens there is always some crazy-ass at the end who will kick start the whole thing all over again. Baddies huh, never learn.
½ September 26, 2014
Slightly better screenplay than the human-acted movies.
September 18, 2014
If you are a fan of the Resident Evil games, you will enjoy this movie a lot. If you love Claire Redfield, you are going to love this movie since she becomes a baddass heroine in this movie and starts to show she is a lot more than we first thought she was. And this movie has a great cast of characters to play the parts. Just a great movie and one you must try to find on DVD somewhere.
½ August 31, 2014
Animation is OK and it's sometimes scary. But with a weak and ridiculous plot, "Degeneration" is nothing more than unremarkable.
July 5, 2014
I rented this from Netflixs, but never got around to watching it so...
½ June 30, 2014
So much better then the live action Resident Evil
June 24, 2014
Not a big fan of the characters but this is a good movie for the fans of the game
May 30, 2014
I like the game universe better than the films, and this movie sticks with the game we know and love.
½ May 17, 2014
I watched this film yesterday and it has to be one of the most boring movies I've ever sat through. I was impressed the CG is so close to the games, and pleased that a certain character in red didn't show up, though other than that there aren't many redeeming qualities. The zombie shoot-out felt rushed to make room for a biohazard threat that ultimately topped in a puss-out moment, the characters speak more like robots than human beings and most of the film felt like it was being dragged out to fill time. Starting to understand why it was in a dollar store's movie bin.