Resident Evil: Retribution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil: Retribution Reviews

January 28, 2017
Retribution I don't think is as bad as Afterlife, but it still is pretty lame. I like the premise of the story of Alice being stuck in their training facility, but I wish they would have stuck to that instead of having all this other crap. They try to bring some humanity back having Alice look after her fake daughter that came out of a simulation, and the ending is just dumb and from what I hear about Final Chapter, the previous 4 films are pretty much forgotten and they just do stuff in Final Chapter and its edited horribly. After this and reading up on Final Chapter, I won't be seeing it this weekend. I'll stick with the first 3 films I find to be guilty pleasures. Hopefully they reboot the franchise and actually make it scary like the games
½ January 28, 2017
About just as good as it's predecessor, this fifth chapter has many similar ups and downs compared to it. However, the plot does reveal a few very interesting twists at times, while at the same time, making the previous installment pointless with some events. Also, guess what? Go here, fight zombies, go there, fight the military this time, go in a building, fight more zombies, exit the building, fight more military.
½ January 28, 2017
1/26/2017: Just an ok movie. Better than the previous installment though.
January 26, 2017
I immensely enjoyed this movie! Ive been with resident evil since the beginning, and although i enjoy the games much more, this movie came close to capturing that magic. Its a popcorn movie and it knows that, it doesnt try to be anything more than what it is.
January 25, 2017
I always wonder how they keep making more of these and then I realized I'm the problem
January 25, 2017
A near endless onslaught of boring action, flat characters, mind numbing vid, and a non-existent story.
Grade: D+
January 15, 2017
A little better than prior sequels, but still more of the same. Fans will be pleased
½ January 3, 2017
Disgrace for the game
½ January 1, 2017
Sigh...this series just keeps getting worse and worse. Nonsensical violence and macho b.s.
December 20, 2016
Fantasy movie now I can't wait for the final chapter now that I am all cough up with all the resident Evil movies
December 20, 2016
This movie has so little too offer even the most dedicated Resident Evil fan, short of a massive list of iconic characters it literally brings nothing else to the table. The plot is incomprehensible and seems to almost negate the relevance of the older films.

I expected this to be another fun "guilty pleasure" action movie set in one of my favorite franchises in the video game world, sadly it is an utter disappointment.
½ October 30, 2016
Good apocalyptic adventure movie. Worth the watch!
½ October 23, 2016
??????1/2
A pesar de las críticas, ha sido una de mis favoritas de toda la saga.
La banda sonora hace de esta película, algo demasiado entretenido y épico de ver.
Estoy listo para el capítulo final.
½ October 22, 2016
This film is literally so terrible I cannot be bothered to write about it. About time this franchise was rebooted into something worth seeing...
October 17, 2016
Having spawned 5 movies since 2002, all of which have hit the big screen, one could assume that the Resident Evil Franchise is a runaway success. Except, at some point it got diluted and that watering down continued in Resident Evil: Retribution. Sure, even at the young age of 37, Milla Jovovich still has a ton of sex appeal but that only takes you so far.

Retribution brings back some familiar faces including Michelle Rodriguez and Oded Fehr but their parts are wasted and pointless. With an overdose of CGI, explosions and mutated monsters, you wonder what's the point of it all? Yes, Retribution can draw parallels to a video game format where the protagonist has to make it through levels but....so what? Whats, the, point!?

Paul W.S. Anderson has been at the helm of some entertaining features however one can't help but feel that he fell asleep behind the wheel of Retribution or got really lazy. I'm not sure even the most die-hard resident evil fans would be giving this two thumbs up. This is one to miss.
½ September 21, 2016
While the film boasts intense and fast-paced sequences, the whole film generally feels like a step down from its previous iterations, toting a decent cast line-up, which is ultimately brought down by a sub-par plotline, laughable CGI, shoddy acting and unnecessary fold into the series of "Resident Evil", simply because of Video Game characters now being dragged into it. While It doesn't do the game series any justice, the final future chapter of the series should prove no different.
August 30, 2016
- Milla brings her sexy Ukranian stylings to the 5th installment of the franchise.
- Um. According to the recap, I think I missed one. :(
- Mental note: pennies in shotguns work better than lead shot. At least when she uses them against aircraft.
- Holy crap, Milla's a mom. All kinds of hot. Still wicked capable as she saves her kid from the flesh-eating horde.
- Yes! Michelle Rodriguez. Shit's getting real now.
- Now Milla's naked with just a sheet. A very small sheet. And also in an Umbrella Corp cell. I'm very confused.
- Due to a computer malfunction, she's now dressed in leather & metal. Seems like we've started like a traditional video game.
- Including that wicked awful laser grid that dices humans.
- Using a chain w/padlock as a kusarigama, kicking an ejected magazine into a zombie's head. This is how an Alice do.
- New player: Ada. Always has one very svelte leg showing in her exquisite red dress.
- It's hammer guy and his awful twin brother! How can so many bullets to the head have so little effect?
- So...Leather & Metal clad Alice is looking at the dead Milla-as-a-mom. Surreal.
- Spoken to the gun-toting Michelle Rodriguez casually lounging in the swingset: "There's a child here!" Drolly, Michelle replies "Your problem. Not mine."
- Ewww. Also, Alice just saved her extraction team's bacon. With a blinged out Rolls Royce Phantom sporting spinners.
- Oh damn. Ugly's back. The entire subway system falling on top of him just kinda stunned him a bit.
- If there's anything I've learned from video games, it's to never stand near a barrel of anything in a firefight. Morons.
- That's...that's a warehouse of people. Or "test subjects."
- Oh damn. Ugly's back. The entire clip of bullets fired into his exposed brain just kinda stunned him a bit.
- That is a lot of zombies. Like, masses of legionous hordes.
July 27, 2016
Li BingBing should NOT be in this film. That chink is a terrible actor, very racist, and smells like body odor. Li Bing is also very ugly and too thin to play the role of the heroic Ada Wong (whom is caucasian in real life). That chinese prostitute should have sold her organs to write the film. Bing's bad acting bankrupted a million dolllar film: OMG. Bing should stick to chinese films with no subtitles so we are not burdened with poorly written dialogue. Milla Jovovich is okay, dont get me wrong, but her sidekick Bing should be imprisoned for ruining the franchise.
½ July 25, 2016
What A Dumb Idea to make another one,
30% is too much positive reviews on this.
I don't know why most people i know would attempt to like this!
Resident Evil was bearable,
Resident Evil Apocolypse was slight and worth fun,
Resident Evil Extinction shake too much,
Resident Evil Afterlife was the best sequel,
But This would have been fair if they replaced Jovovich into Scarlett Johanson,
Jovovich is an appalling actress. It's The Worst Of The Worst Resident Evils.

Score: 1/10
½ July 23, 2016
Stupid - just about as awful as you can possibly imagine. This thing can't even make it to a bad "B" rating. Embarrassing for the actors one would think, but then they didn't have much to work with.