Resolved - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resolved Reviews

August 12, 2015
Even Greg Whiteley can't make the dullest competitive event interesting. I hated debate before I saw this, now I hate it even more.
January 5, 2013
Compelling, although it doesn't really find its feet until it starts following the two guys assaulting the entrenched system. Who knew modern high school debates sounded so much like tobacco auctions?
November 1, 2012
Niche movie, but soooo important to whats important to me
½ March 21, 2012
Interesting documentary about competitive high school debate. I completely bought the argument that the team from CA made regarding the inherent race/class bias in debate and the need to break out of the restraining techniques. I remember debate and being annoyed with the idea of "spreading".
January 7, 2012
An insightful look into the twisted performances that make up high school debates.
August 14, 2011
While it is laudable that the director is attempting to shed light on a subject not many people know much about, this film seems to do everything in half-measures. It never adequately explains CX debate for the uninitiated, it does not delve deeply enough into the impact of the event on the future lives of those that compete in it and, most egregiously, it never explains the strategies of its target teams in any detail. These flaws, unfortunately, make this a documentary for "insiders", which, ironically, bites the critique being made about debate by some of the subjects.
April 4, 2010
I don't usually pick up documentaries to watch. But I had seen New York Doll and loved it. I used to do speech and debate in high school... and knew Resolved would be fascinating. It did not disappoint. I wasn't involved in "spread" type debates... I loved Oratory... and dabbled in a few Lincoln/Douglas debates. This was totally entertaining, quirky and brilliant. I was rooting for the Long Beach boys - but like one of the judges... the chip on the shoulder became a hindrance.

Anyone who has ever been involved in school speech/debate...will recognize the classrooms... the pressure, the research... LOVE IT! Go watch it tonight!
October 9, 2009
Absolutely fantastic film, highly recommend it to anyone who was ever a member of a debate team or is in law school. I found it engaging, provoking (both emotionally and intellectually), and definitely eye-opening. Definitely a must-see. A
October 9, 2009
Interesting flick about changing the rules of the game--only I don't think changing the rules in the middle of the game is a great tactic.
January 29, 2009
A fascinating documentary about the intense and strange world of debate competitions.
January 16, 2009
That opening shot, it got me hooked, with the speed reading, has be scratching my head what is all about. It is definitely a film to catch if you get a chance.
January 6, 2009
This film came out of nowhere to me. I already discovered the world of debate through the film Rocket Science. Really well done and great to see the harsh world of debate and to see two kids from inner city schools trying to revolutionize the world of debate.
August 23, 2008
Even my hubby enjoyed this documentary about high school debate, which in addition to bringing back major memories, also taught me a thing or two. (For instance, I never knew that "spreading" stood for "speed reading.") It also made me think about how expensive and arguably elitist it all was. Featuring some famous people who were former high school debaters, it's a fun must-see for other former debaters.
July 31, 2008
LOVED this! I'm kind of a doc-head anyway, but this was totally fascinating. I hope Richard & Louis are still out there changing the world...
July 17, 2008
I had no idea debating was all about speed-talking now. Fascinating movie featuring some very compelling kids.
July 15, 2008
it opened my eyes to the sad state of high school debate. these kids... sound like robots who are unable to piece together their own cogent thoughts without regurgitating someone else's. it's sad. any how... i appreciated the film and the way it challenged the way we go along with everything without challenging it with our own thoughts and ideas because the status quo dictates so we follow. it went beyond a film reflecting the state of modern high school debate teams, but really questioned how we follow rhetoric and don't demand change. and it addresses even deeper that we can't ask for change if we haven't actually thought about it with our own words in our minds. you don't challenge and ask for change if you don't truly understand. i don't think that made any sense at all. oh well. and last bit. i am not a debater and i loved it.
July 14, 2008
I think the director did a good job. I immediately disliked the first half because people talking fast does not equal debating, then they introduced a new concept. Actually debating in debate. That I liked.
July 13, 2008
I know very little about debate and I'm not sure if that means I liked the movie more or less than I would have if i did. Regardless, I thought it was a great film
July 9, 2008
I am completely biased in my appreciation of this movie. It is a documentary about team policy debate in high school, which I did for a number of years. If you were a debater, then you will LOVE this documentary. If not? Well, I'd be curious to see how interesting you find it.
½ July 9, 2008
Though I was never into debating or its inner workings, I found this movie to be incredibly informative and entertaining. It definitely left me thinking and wanting more.