Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story Reviews

November 21, 2012
Great documentary. Excellent narration by Sam Jackson.
August 15, 2012
Not the best documentary, but anything with footage of Otis is fucking great.
½ May 1, 2012
The rise, fall and reprise of Stax Records, a groundbreaking soul music label along with Otis Redding, Academy Award winner Isaac Hayes, other performers, The Staples, Barkays, promoters and producers who made the music, with timelines that parallel the civil rights era and the assassination of Rev. King in Memphis in '68. Soulsville USA: Where everything is everything!
January 11, 2012
Great documentary about the history of Stax Studios in Memphis. My interested was compounded since I had visited the museum, where the studio once stood a few years ago. I learned a lot about the various recording artists and the evolution and fall of the company. I didn't know that Booker T and MGs were the back-up band for many of the artists that became stars for Stax, and the relationship between Isaac Hayes and David Porter as a song writing team was interesting. The film also draws in some of the issues of the Civil Rights era and how the assassination of Dr. King in Memphis affected the future of Stax.
July 22, 2010
great informative comphrensive doc
½ June 28, 2009
Very good telling of the story of The Stax Records company, recording studio and all those fantastic musicians that graced it's doors. Soulsville!
December 30, 2008
A fantastic look at the history of probably the most revolutionary independent music label in American history, which largely ties into the social revolutions of the time. Extremely well put-together and well-informed, this exceeded my expectations greatly, fitting all of the rises and falls of the company's time into a still-concise running time.
November 29, 2008
Standard rock-doc approach, but full of great stories.
September 16, 2008
Loved this movie. It tells a powerful story of how music brings together people across race lines in a time and a place where this would seem impossible. The art direction was great and I loved the way narratives were combined with music clips. Granted, I am biased because I love this style of music but it is a super well put together documentary.
August 31, 2008
Awesome movie. I am not a huge, huge fan of R&B, but I do like me some Green Onions, Isaac Hayes and Otis Redding, and it was interesting to watch the (seemingly universal) rise and fall of this creative powerhouse. It gets extra points for telling all of this within the context of the political times.
½ August 28, 2008
If you're a hardcore fan you've probably seen a lot of this footage before because hey, you own Wattstax too, right? Still... glorious music. And pink hot pants on Rufus Thomas.
August 10, 2008
The access to footage which the director was given is enviable and the music is just too amazing to pass up but the poor over-narration by Samuel Jackson and questionable use of reenacted scenes weigh down what could've been a priceless documentary on the Stax label. Still, an entertaining watch and the interviews are quite good.