Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles Reviews

January 27, 2016
You must place and glue tiles. You!
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Resurrect Dead is not a bad documentary, but it is underwhelming relative to many of the reviews posted. I was expecting something more entertaining in an X-Files way with more effort put into trying to understand what do these weird signs mean. If it were done that way then that would build more suspense as to who it is and what is their purpose. As it is, the documentary is alright but more for a look into the investigative process of a few amateur sleuths. Really more of a reality TV show than a film.
October 2, 2015
Intriguing subject matter.
September 26, 2015
A good documentary about a 80's early mystery
½ July 16, 2015
Very underrated documentary
February 26, 2015
Fascinating doc on a fascinating mystery!
September 18, 2014
Oh, what a documentary! So well made. Can't spoil anything else. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
½ July 23, 2014
interesting gripping documentary had to stop my self reading more on-line after this film
May 31, 2014
My daughter, who lives in Philly, gave me the "homework" of watching this movie before coming to visit her next month. The three guys are sort of innocent and determined, especially Justin Doerr. The neighbors of the mysterious and paranoid Philadelphian who may have left the tiles on the asphalt of Philly and other cities are earnest and protective of the man's privacy. There are weird-beard short wave radio enthusiasts. Larry King and David Mamet enter into the game. Nonetheless, you can take it to the bank: whatever Toynbee or Kubrick said, you cannot resurrect the dead on Jupiter.
April 7, 2014
I first became interested in this story when I happened to come across one of the tiles in the street in Manhattan. I was intrigued to find there is an entire documentary about them and the mystery of their origin and meaning. This film is riveting from beginning to end and it's research was incredibly meticulous and well done. I think they did a fantastic job of basically solving the mystery but keeping it still not quite completely explained so a few questions still remain.
March 10, 2014
I'm going to watch this because I don't understand what the description or the reviews are even saying.
½ March 7, 2014
About as strange and obscure as you can get.
½ February 4, 2014
interesting film, with a taste of Philly phlair. Main character is creepy but it is definitely worth checking out.
½ December 10, 2013
Even though, much like the narrators of this story, I had an idea that the resolution of this entertaining mystery would most likely turn out to be more mundane than the message inside the Toynbee Tiles suggests, the investigation turns out to be an interesting look into the series of random coincidences that added to the legacy of one loon's crazy (and beautifully macabre) art project. 3.5/5
½ September 5, 2013
An absorbing mystery and a fascinating character study - and it's all true!
½ August 10, 2013
A fascinating mystery. This Documentary does a great job of piecing together the meaning of the Toynbee Tiles, and trying to solve the mystery of who is placing the tiles.
July 15, 2013
Like a real life version of the show Ghostwriter. I adored this movie. So much fun watching them trying to figure out the mystery.
July 11, 2013
Fascinating tale of a bizarre mystery and the obsession of those trying to solve it. Given very little clues to go on, Justin Duerr leads a small group of amateur detectives who try to figure out who created the Toynbee Tiles & left them all over the world. Seemingly off-topic biographical parts of the doc reveal that Duerr may have a surprising amount in common with the person he has been searching for and although the ending may be unsatisfying for some, it works for me. Duerr's understanding of and compassion for the Toynbee Tiler ultimately make the ending fulfilling and even incredible when you consider how appropriate it is that the two lives intersect.
April 29, 2013
amazing doc.i highly highly recommend it.
April 11, 2013
This is not a super innovative documentary, but it is a very compelling one. Structured like a procedural thriller, "Resurrect Dead" is a fascinating look at obsession and loss, fueled by a bizarre mystery at its center (The less you know, the better). The ending is also strangely uplifting. Straightforward and simple, but very sincere and extremely entertaining.