Resurrecting the Champ - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resurrecting the Champ Reviews

September 9, 2016
A fatherhood and morality tale apparently. Didn't quite knock me out with it though. Relatively original in parts, and before the twist it was compelling enough. After that point it feels a bit like that heavyweight fight after the fighters get tired and it becomes a stalemate. Alan Alda is a great curmudgeon anyway.
½ July 27, 2016
Josh Hartnett and a plot twist. Extra points for this already good story ??
March 16, 2016
Touching and well acted film about a has-been boxer and the reporter who writes his story.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A drama movie about a homeless ex boxer and a young journalist / sport reporter that gets his chance for a top story.. Samuel L Jackson did a superb role here but that i already knew he would , he hardly fails. The flick was rather slow sometimes and not much boxing / action but otherwise a nice story. Are u looking for a good drama , go ahead.
½ December 12, 2014
Not bad though cause I am not a big fan of movies about boxing.
½ October 21, 2014
Good. But not nearly as powerful or moving as it should be.
June 11, 2014
Samuel Jackson does a great job bringing his character to life. Overall a good film. Has a surprise ending that I did not see coming.
December 25, 2013
Caught me off guard but in a great way ...
November 13, 2013
this movie was better than I thought
½ September 11, 2013
Sam Jackson does a good turn here. For once, he's playing someone other than Sam Jackson. This movie is as unworthy of his performance as it is of being watched by anyone, ever. Total drippy schlocky shit. A paint by numbers story of redemption, obviously. Avoid.
February 22, 2013
This movie posts a classic dilema about doing the unethical to make it big. But it feels like the whole problem kind of solved itself and there were no real consequences to the 'bad' actions. Samuel L. Jackson plays a great hobo, though.
December 31, 2012
Josh Hartnett and Samuel L. Jackson are the key players here, in "Resurrecting the Champ". The concept of this movie is a very good one (uncovering the story of a past boxing legend) - and whilst I don't believe the concept was executed perfectly - it was a pretty easy 110 minutes of viewing.

There are some "bit players" to be found here also - namely Teri Hatcher and Alan Alda - but neither are really integral to the movie as a whole.

Hartnett holds his own in the lead role, whilst Jackson is good but not great in his role (albeit a difficult one for him to play). Summing up, this movie is worth a viewing if there's not too much else out there.
December 9, 2012
An interesting story with strong acting by Hartnett and Jackson. Jackson is almost unrecognizable.
December 7, 2012
One of the movies I've seen in years. It was great from start to finish.
September 4, 2012
This was pretty good. I was completely not expecting the direction that this movie took towards the end; it completely shattered what I thought the movie was ultimately about! I really thought that the theme of honesty was huge in this movie, and it kind of shows what lying can do for, and against, someone. The only issue I had with it was the sympathy that I think they were trying to give to Samuel L. Jackson's character. He almost ruined the interviewer's life; I think it was a little ambitions to try and make the audience feel sorry for him. Other than this and a few slow moments, the movie was good!
½ June 18, 2012
much better then expected. possibly one of my favorite jackson roles, due to the fact that he is actually playing a character and actually acting without yelling non stop. hartnett was good and the story was well put together, moves a little slow. but nothing to complain about.
½ June 13, 2012
Very much eh. Samuel L Jackson was really good in that he wasn't playing himself like he seems to do in many many many films. Overall it didn't leave me feeling good or bad, just indifferent.
June 12, 2012
Decent newspaper morality drama. Not amazing, but not bad.