Retreat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Retreat Reviews

½ December 7, 2013
World wide pandemic with a twist set in the back woods/isles of Wales. I really like Cillian Murphy so he carried the film a bit for me but Natalie was a little less enthused by the whole endeavor.
½ December 2, 2013
Probably a movie no one has ever heard of but this one certainly makes you think. I love endings that I do not see coming and this movie definitely has that. Not much more to say about this but it's worth 90 minutes of your life if you dig thrillers.
November 20, 2013
If it isn't Jamie Bell... ...
November 1, 2013
Very atmospheric with a true feeling of isolation and fear. Great acting from the cast and an atypical ending make this an unusual and very watchable movie.
October 17, 2013
I was really pulled into the story...even tho I was able to predict when the characters were making dumb choices.but I kept watching cause I wanted to know how it all turned out. there's not to much scary going on...but lots of nail biting. acting may be a little over the top. but over all sum intense entertainment.
½ October 16, 2013
Pretty good!! All good actors- Cool story, with a twist that you will never see coming.
September 20, 2013
This one turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The three stars all give solid performances in this suspenseful psychological thriller that does an excellent job of keeping the viewer in the dark about what is actually happening here right up to the end.
½ August 23, 2013
another somewhat interesting film ruined by a weak ending. they had such a good chance of making a good film with the premise but they thought too small and ended on a "no one wins" which I hate when movie do... it's so lazy.
½ July 3, 2013
Two wimps and one psycho in the night exchanging lances--Gloomy and bland yet acted with fervour!!
½ June 22, 2013
Very well done movie.
June 17, 2013
feels like something I've seen before, only worse.
½ May 28, 2013
Beautiful setting and quite understated compared to some modern thrillers, this was surprisingly good. Being trapped in your own home is an easy thing to imagine (although we don't all have our own island) which makes this really compelling and tense. I also found the twist completely unexpected.
½ May 17, 2013
I picked this up because I really enjoy Cillian Murphy, but it was horrible, unwatchable. Even after fast forwarding more than half the film, it still stood in the same place. Don't rent it, don't watch it, don't bother. meh.
½ May 4, 2013
Pretty good. Watch if you like Misery.
April 8, 2013
Just one thing... Isolation is not a solution ! Like never! Always the beginning of a good (or bad) horror movie! Or a divorce! The situation and the freaky Jamie Bell could have made a bad ass movie but there was something missing... And the end, beurk!
April 4, 2013
A more interesting movie in the vein of "Right at Your Door". Still, meh.
March 30, 2013
Jamie Bell is such an intense actor!
½ March 8, 2013
It is a nicely build up story and suspense. Thandie Newton's character annoys me but the movie is still worth watching. Be warn it is very slow.
½ February 8, 2013
That was a disappointing performance by Thandie Newton, Plus.. The story really sucked
Harlequin68
½ February 2, 2013
"Retreat" starts with Martin(Cillian Murphy) and Kate(Thandie Newton) traveling to a remote island where they hope to relive happier times of when they were last there. Things do not go well at first, either emotionally or involving the generator, a remnant left over from the Industrial Revolution, leading them to call in Doug(Jimmy Yuill), the caretaker. And then Jack(Jamie Bell) shows up on their doorstep, all bloody and bruised, before wanting to have a quiet word with Martin.

The phrase 'when bad things happen to good actors' usually applies to bloated Hollywood fare, but it can also equally apply to much more modest productions like the would be thriller "Retreat." Overall, after a neat set-up, the movie suffers from a fatal case of indecision, giving its talented cast little to do, except for one scene where a character is glad he played a lot of Operation as a kid. Otherwise they sit around and shout at each other while waiting for the drawn out climax to happen. Whereas I can understand Jack being something of an enigma since he is the key to the movie, the same could not be said about Martin and Kate. She is a writer and they suffered an unspeakable tragedy of some sort and that is pretty much it, which makes it that much harder to care about what happens to them.