Return of the Blind Dead (El Ataque de los muertos sin ojos) (Return of the Evil Dead) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return of the Blind Dead (El Ataque de los muertos sin ojos) (Return of the Evil Dead) Reviews

½ October 16, 2015
An enjoyable entry in the blind dead series.
It wasn't a direct sequel, it just featured the same blind knight zombies.
The zombies don't really seem blind though and the ending was a bit of a let down.
Not much in the way of gore or nudity.
½ August 20, 2015
This is second film in the Blind Dead series. I enjoyed this one more than the first film. It was more upbeat and had better characters.
½ April 1, 2014
more "action packed" but not as atmospheric, creepy or tense as the first.
½ October 1, 2013
I kind of liked it better than the first film. There Blind Dead are in it a lot more, and it has an overall better setting and a cooler ending. Still a bit slow, but creepy. Still retains the same mood as the first, though the characters aren't any better. An interesting little foreign horror film though.
January 7, 2013
Templars terrorize timid townsfolk... Great entertainment--Rather laughable in some places!!
October 27, 2012
Solid follow up. We see the Templars have their eyes burned out so that they could never find their way back to exact revenge. They don't need to as the 500th anniversary celebration of the Templar defeat takes place right next to their graves.
½ October 18, 2012
Not as good as the first but still entertaining. More action and bloodletting than the first and not as atmospheric but the script and characters are a shade better written. As far as Euro low budget atmospheric horror goes though you could do worse.
June 1, 2012
Pretty good but it's the same as the first with a racked up body count. Still creepy.
½ April 15, 2012
This is the second in the Blind Dead franchise and was much maligned in my memory because I had watched the hideous dubbed version. This is FAR from a masterpiece but in a few ways, it is the best of the 4 films. In this telling of the legend of the Templars, the Evil Templars vow to get revenge on the ancestors of the townspeople responsible for bringing their Satanic crimes to justice (on the 500th anniversary of their executions). Cue the 500th anniversary town celebration where the townspeople clearly do not believe anything is going to happen beyond a fireworks show (obvious stock footage) and one hell of a party. The Templars only rising once makes a lot more sense to me because those heavy stone coffin lids and headstones that fall over (for our benefit) several times in the first film would not be easy to put back into place by skeletal zombies trying to climb back into their crypt. (AND what do the undead horses eat if they rise from their graves 3 time a week? Ghost hay???)

The acting (never a strong point in these films) is uneven at best with an 'Igor' type 'Stephen King' look alike character whose unibrow is so distracting you almost do not notice how ridiculous his dialog is, or the face that his lame arm seems to occasionally switch from scene to scene. Also puzzling is that half the town is smitten with the lead actress' character when even 'unibrow Igor' is more attractive. (I guess she must have been 'connected' to the director). Once all Hell breaks loose and the Templars start extracting their revenge (at the 500th anniversary party in their 'honor', no less) the people are massacred as they conveniently stand still to be effectively slaughtered, while the chief cast members take refuge in an old church. I won't say any more but I think I like how this one ends the best.
April 4, 2012
Very enjoyable entry to the series. Add a little more back story, but has an abrupt and anti climatic ending.
October 21, 2011
Blind Dead 2 . . .

---

They attack a village in this one . . . Anchor Bay's first release was CUT.

The new release is uncut.
June 3, 2011
Loved it when i first saw it years ago but remeber it not being as good as the first. Need to watch it again.
½ May 19, 2011
The rotting corpses of an evil group of blind Knight Templars rise up from their graves to take their bloody revenge on a small village that's celebrating their execution which happened in 1473. A great sequel to Tombs Of The Blind Dead which is only let down by an anti-climatic ending. The sight of the skeletal templars on horseback is very eerie, the creepy atmosphere and the bloodletting all add up to a very entertaining horror movie. The templars makeup and costumes are also very effective. If you can tolerate the melodrama between a couple of characters, there's so much to savour. Easily the movie's most graphic scene comes near the beginning when we see the Templar knights in human form as one of them removes the heart from the chest of a poor female sacrifice and then eats it! If you liked the first movie in this series then you'll certainly enjoy this one.
½ May 19, 2011
½ May 2, 2011
Return of the Blind Dead (or Evil Dead depending on your copy) equals if not surpasses Ossorio's original Tombs of the Blind Dead as an atmospheric, brutal, and iconic zombie film. This time the blind, satanic, undead Knights Templar return during a town festival to exact bloody vengeance on the townspeople. Hence, this sequel ups the ante by having the blind dead attack an entire town's worth of people instead of just a small group. A creepy little zombie film that features unforgettable undead roving the countryside to satiate their Satanic lusts. Ossorio again demonstrated his ability to bring artful direction and images to b-level cinema.
½ February 18, 2011
In part slightly better than the first as it goes straight for what is needed, the templars and some action but soon falls into the same old generic trash that these type of films are fondly remembered for.
February 8, 2011
While the original started the series, this is the movie which brings all the ideas home. Seeing the boney monks ride horses in slow mothin is excellent, and the expanded setting of a village, rather that just itinerant travellers, makes for a much more devestating zombie attack.
August 11, 2010
more of a remake than a sequel as pretty much same plot but decent enough - made to cash in on evil dead saga
½ June 10, 2010
People that don't know the horror genre that well, especially foreign horror films, might at think from the title that this film is some sort of sequel in Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series. The Return of the Evil Dead was actually made nine years before Raimi's bloody classic The Evil Dead and is actually a sequel to the atmospheric euro shocker Tombs of the Blind Dead. Typical with the Blind Dead franchise one can't tell they are sequels by title alone. God forbid the distributors use the term "blind dead" in all of the titles! Anchor Bay Entertainment even changed the title to "Return of the Blind Dead" on their original VHS and DVD release to help people know it was a sequel.

Despite being a sequel to Tombs of the Blind Dead, Return of the Evil Dead does not have any plot carryover from the first film. Ig you try to make one you'll find yourself having a brain hemorrhage over the continuity errors. What we have here is just another tale, or take on the blind dead. This aspect would carry over throughout the rest of the sequels (The Ghost Galleon, Night of the Sea Gulls) which basically takes our blind dead characters and puts them into another plot and location with no story carry over. This sequel opens with our evil knights having their eyes burned out by an angry mob and then burned at the stake (as opposed to hung and having their eyes gouged out by crows in the last film). Jump forward to centuries later where the very same town which the mob was from is celebrating the centennial killing of the Templar Knights. Now depending if you're watching the edited American version or the uncut Spanish version, the knights return from their graves for different reasons. In the American edit it is just assumed that the Templar Knights rise because of the celebration of their burning. In the uncut version we have a shady little weirdo (typical of Amando De Ossorio films) sacrifice a women which in turns raises them up. In the mean time we have the girlfriend of the mayor running into an old flame who is working as a fireworks organizer. Sparks fly between them (no pun intended) and the Mayor decides to have his goons beet the shit out of him, that is until he gets bigger problems when our galloping cadavers come calling and start killing everyone in the village. The climax has a few survivors holding up in a church trying to wait out the undead.

One point in this sequel that outdoes Tombs of the Blind Dead is the pace and editing, which is much more fast and smooth. Other than that the plot is typical "zombies rise from the grave" stuff and the third act is nothing more than a variation of Night of the Living Dead with survivors holding up in a building. I also still prefer the look of the hot, sun blasted grassland of the original as opposed to the greener, lusher look of the village here. That look and overall atmosphere was just better. I also was a little upset on the use of stock footage from the original. It isn't a lot of stock footage but all the scenes of the blind dead rising from their tombs is all recycled from the original film. I understand it's cheaper for the filmmakers to reuse footage but to me it just comes off as cheap, like the filmmakers lacked some ambition.

Overall this isn't a bad follow-up at all and is easily the best sequel in the Blind Dead franchise. Gore hounds may find there to be a lack of blood but euro-cult fanatics that like atmosphere and a little exploitation will eat this one up. The DVD release of this from Blue-underground entertainment, like Tombs of the Blind Dead, includes both the edited American version and the uncut Spanish version (which is only subtitled). The edited version comes from a superior print source and looks far better than the uncut version. So you have to pick your poison... the true version of the film or the better quality version.
June 2, 2010