The Return - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Return Reviews

½ September 14, 2015
All the loose ends and weirdness pay off in the last 10 minutes of the film, which leaves you about an hour and twenty minutes to wonder why you bothered watching at all.

Once things are made clear, it becomes clear that it's a very average spooky story with little to add to the genre, but I suppose you could do worse if you wanna kill an afternoon.

September 10, 2015
With a dull script, but some scary jumpscares, The Return is a good example of a failed attempt of make a clever movie and instead that, it was made a cliched and unoriginal movie which brings out the worst of, once talented, Sarah gellar and a boring and over-exploited narrative in this genre.
September 10, 2015
½ June 3, 2015
The return is far too confusing, not to mention quite boring and lifeless to stand with other supernatural and psychological horrors of recent and past memory.
January 2, 2015
Decent drama/thriller but i felt it was a bit strange sometimes. Its about a young girl which see visions involving a man hunting her for some reason. She gets the same flashbacks when she become older and tries now figure out why this is happening... Okey movie but i have seen better.
½ September 6, 2014
Very slow, dull and lifeless. Feels like double it's 85 minute running time.
June 18, 2014
Most people put this in the category of supernatural thriller, well it didn't thrill me. To me the best part of the movie was the 2 car wrecks at the end. Funny thing is during the whole movie didn't see one cop, and hey do you know how to dial 911 Bozo, glad this one was a rental, and more glad I didn't see it in the theater. Not even worth the $1.00 movie theater. And if you buy it you more the likely will RETURN IT. 2 Stars Baby
½ June 5, 2014
The Return (Asif Kapadia, 2006)

Everyone loves a good mystery. Unless, that is, it's marketed like a horror film. Sarah Michelle Gellar was coming off the commercial successes of The Grudge and The Grudge 2, so I guess someone in The Return's marketing department decided "hey, we should come up with a poster that will draw the Grudge crowd". Bad idea. The movie was excoriated by the press (16% at Rotten Tomatoes critical) and the public (32% RT public, 4.8 at IMDB) alike. I...didn't think it was all that bad. It wasn't anything new, but we're talking about Hollywood here. What is?

Kapadia (Senna) and screenwriter Adam Sussman, turning in his first feature, give us the story of Joanna Mills (Gellar), a saleswoman who heads back to rural Texas, where she grew up, to try and score some business for the shipping company she works for. When she gets back near where she grew up, she starts seeing things that are...out of the ordinary. We know from the opening scene, which takes place when Joanna is young, that she was emotionally unstable as a child thanks to a terrifying car accident, and we can assume the visions she sees have to do with that; she beings to put together the events of that night with some help from a local, Terry Stahl (X-Men Origins: Wolverine's Peter O'Brien), who is embroiled in a mystery of his own; the rest of the town he lives in believes he killed his wife Annie (Fast Food Nation's Erinn Allison). He proclaims his innocence. Hey, two mysteries are better than one-and the more Joanna is drawn into Terry's story, the more she begins to feel as if she were somehow related to it.

Sure, it's contrived, and some of it is downright ridiculous, but it's not like you haven't seen this done worse dozens of times. (Hundreds, if you watch Lifetime or Hallmark.) You'll get a lot more out of it, I think, if you just dispense with the supernatural aspect of the movie altogether (that's the most contrived part) and just think of it as a straight mystery. It works that way, and it works well enough to kill and hour and a half with if you just want to turn your brain off and have a good time. Not timeless cinema by any means, but not as bad as you probably heard it was. ** 1/2
½ May 17, 2014
A lack of effort and execution for an emotionally beautiful story that should have been granted a higher budget.
½ March 16, 2014
Ugh... This movie is hard to watch... Even for Sarah/Buffy fans like myself. I nearly turned it off in the first twenty minutes, but didn't... It got better but in the way a rash gets better, you put something on it and it then doubles in size and irritation... The three words I can use are... 'What a shame'
February 21, 2014
You've got to commit yourself until the very end. If you want to understand it don't give up on it. That said, the plots great but it could have been better presented. Ninety percent of the time you have no clue what's going on. The pieces of the puzzle you need aren't there until it's too late, and that makes this a painful watch.
½ February 18, 2014
Little Strange, But Not Bad....
½ February 9, 2014
Sarah Michelle Gellar has had some great roles over the course of her career. As is the case with any actor, she has also had a few duds. 2006's 'The Return' is among these. Set in southern Texas, 'Return' follows a career-driven woman named Joanna (Gellar) who returns home to close a business deal, only to be confronted with her dark mysteries from her past. The film is generally slow-paced, and it tries to be a traditional horror film with a bunch of cheap "gotcha" scares that don't add anything substantial. The plot is pretty dreary, and while it's not all that confusing, it's uninspiring to say the least. Additionally, the "twist" at the end can be seen from a mile away. There really isn't a whole lots to say about 'The Return,' except that it is one of those films that is better off left in the past to collect dust.
October 29, 2013
Not terrible, but could be better
October 19, 2013
I liked the film's stark photography and am a fan of Sarah Michelle Gellar (Sam Shepard too), but this film was a pretty dull horror film. It's stylishly directed, but a leadened script about SMG reliving a murder that happened fifteen years earlier was boring and not all that scary, creepy or interesting. Meh.
August 30, 2013
looks cool wunt mind seein dat
August 3, 2013
Sarah Michelle Gellar was great and it was nice to see her in another thriller. The movie wasnt bad but it definitely could have had a lot more going on.
June 7, 2013
I actually thought this was pretty good, but did get confused once or twice, overall it's worth watching.
May 23, 2013
The story is slow and nothing really scary about the movie. And the movie just annoys me.
½ May 14, 2013
Not good, very boring. Sarah Michelle Gellar was good in The Grudge, so I thought this movie would be like that. But is it? NO! I didn't understand the plot at all, the end doesn't make sense, and there wasn't really a lot of paranormal things going on. Very hard to understand, too. It's just 5% watchable out of 100%.