The Return Reviews

• Sep 24, 2020

Dull, slow-moving film where an assault victim is involved in a car crash that kills her and her soul goes into the body of the young girl in the other car, who grows up to have visions of the victim's assault.

• Apr 20, 2020

There's some interesting mood and visuals going on here, but what a mess! A confusing poopy mess.

• Oct 03, 2018

The Return touched me deeply and only a Russian can make such a poignant tale about relationships that everyone regardless of their background will relate to. Story here is about two brothers who are suddenly confronted by their father who had been absent in their lives since their birth. He takes them on an excursion into the wilderness and tries to teach them the ways of life the way he sees right. I was horrified to learn that the boy who played the elder son died in real life soon after the film was done with production. It makes this film more poignant. Please see this film if you get an opportunity.(Touching film from Russia).

• Sep 10, 2015

With a dull script, but some scary jumpscares, The Return is a good example of a failed attempt of make a clever movie and instead that, it was made a cliched and unoriginal movie which brings out the worst of, once talented, Sarah gellar and a boring and over-exploited narrative in this genre.

• Sep 10, 2015

• Jun 03, 2015

The return is far too confusing, not to mention quite boring and lifeless to stand with other supernatural and psychological horrors of recent and past memory.

• Sep 06, 2014

Very slow, dull and lifeless. Feels like double it's 85 minute running time.

Very slow, dull and lifeless. Feels like double it's 85 minute running time.

• Jun 05, 2014

The Return (Asif Kapadia, 2006) Everyone loves a good mystery. Unless, that is, it's marketed like a horror film. Sarah Michelle Gellar was coming off the commercial successes of The Grudge and The Grudge 2, so I guess someone in The Return's marketing department decided "hey, we should come up with a poster that will draw the Grudge crowd". Bad idea. The movie was excoriated by the press (16% at Rotten Tomatoes critical) and the public (32% RT public, 4.8 at IMDB) alike. I...didn't think it was all that bad. It wasn't anything new, but we're talking about Hollywood here. What is? Kapadia (Senna) and screenwriter Adam Sussman, turning in his first feature, give us the story of Joanna Mills (Gellar), a saleswoman who heads back to rural Texas, where she grew up, to try and score some business for the shipping company she works for. When she gets back near where she grew up, she starts seeing things that are...out of the ordinary. We know from the opening scene, which takes place when Joanna is young, that she was emotionally unstable as a child thanks to a terrifying car accident, and we can assume the visions she sees have to do with that; she beings to put together the events of that night with some help from a local, Terry Stahl (X-Men Origins: Wolverine's Peter O'Brien), who is embroiled in a mystery of his own; the rest of the town he lives in believes he killed his wife Annie (Fast Food Nation's Erinn Allison). He proclaims his innocence. Hey, two mysteries are better than one-and the more Joanna is drawn into Terry's story, the more she begins to feel as if she were somehow related to it. Sure, it's contrived, and some of it is downright ridiculous, but it's not like you haven't seen this done worse dozens of times. (Hundreds, if you watch Lifetime or Hallmark.) You'll get a lot more out of it, I think, if you just dispense with the supernatural aspect of the movie altogether (that's the most contrived part) and just think of it as a straight mystery. It works that way, and it works well enough to kill and hour and a half with if you just want to turn your brain off and have a good time. Not timeless cinema by any means, but not as bad as you probably heard it was. ** 1/2

• Mar 18, 2014

A lack of effort and execution for an emotionally beautiful story that should have been granted a higher budget.

• Feb 21, 2014

You've got to commit yourself until the very end. If you want to understand it don't give up on it. That said, the plots great but it could have been better presented. Ninety percent of the time you have no clue what's going on. The pieces of the puzzle you need aren't there until it's too late, and that makes this a painful watch.