Return from Witch Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return from Witch Mountain Reviews

½ December 24, 2015
I'm a very safe driver.

Tia and Tony return to Earth with their magic powers. They are warned to be conservative with their time on Earth, but they go exploring and the brother is kidnapped by an evil scientist with ill intentions for Tony. Tia will work with a group of children to find her bother.

"My experiments are more important than the law."

John Hough, director of American Gothic, Howling IV, Bad Karma, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, The Incubus, The Watchers in the Woods, and The Legend of Hellhouse, delivers Return to Witch Mountain. The storyline for this picture was average but entertaining but the special effects were very dated and clumsy. The acting was awesome and the cast includes Christopher Lee, Bettie Davis, Kim Richards, Jack Soo, and William Bassett.

"You want me to break somebody's legs, you just tell me how many parts."

I recently came across this on cable and had to DVR it. I enjoyed watching it unfold and was really entertained by Davis and Lee. They played off each other well. I wouldn't say this is a great movie. But it is worth watching once. This is worth a viewing now and again with your kids.

"You can't be tough and educated too!"

Grade: C
November 7, 2015
This sequel to the classic "Escape to Witch Mountain" is kind of a step down from the original and feel more like the quality of Disney quickie films of the 70s (i.e. "The North Avenue Irregulars" or "The Million Dollar Duck"). But in the plus column, you do get some solid new villains wanting to exploit Tony and Tia's powers, played Bette Davis and Christopher Lee (who also have creepy character actor Anthony James as their henchman). The baddies capture Tony, so Tia hooks up with some 1970s style street toughs who call themselves The Earthquake Gang to help save Tony. It's all pretty silly, but it does manage to be entertaining. "Barney Miller" regular Jack Soo has a funny supporting part as truancy officer chasing down the kids to get them back in school, but the most surprising part of the school that tI liked was the funky Lalo Schifrin score. Not a classic, but entertaining.
½ October 31, 2015
Good villains, odd plot. Great 70s soundtrack though.
½ October 24, 2015
big stars help this sequel rise above the first outing
October 6, 2015
While it was great to see Tommy & Tia return, it came at a time when the Disney Studios were struggling to find a vision. Several great actors (who may not have really understood the original) seem to have only shown up to collect a check. What could have easily turned into a 5 film franchise is given a merciless death.
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
April 19, 2014
Tony and Tia are back for more fantastical adventures in Return From Witch Mountain. While visiting Pasadena Tony is abducted and brainwashed by a scientist in order to use his telepathic powers for evil, meanwhile his sister Tia befriends a local street gang who offer to help her find her brother. Christopher Lee and Bette Davis co-star and make for an interesting pair of villains. Additionally, the film is fairly good at creating stakes and bringing an element of danger to the telepathic powers. Fun and exciting, Return From Witch Mountain is an impressive sequel that's better than the original.
August 24, 2013
Pretty much more of the same, as the kids are older now, and better actors, and they return to Earth for a vacation and someone get mixed up with the one man on the planet looking to make mind control a moneymaker. Well, naturally he finds the boy and uses him for his tests.

This time the villains are played by bigger names, Lee and Davis, but they are hamming it up pretty badly here. Davis' teeth are the scariest thing in the movie: they are so yellow I thought she had a gold grill going!!!

Like I said, the kid actors, as the girl finds a bunch of local street rats to help her find her brother, are much improved here.

As are the special effects, as I didn't see any wires this time. The spaceship looked awful, but the 'fixing the van' scene was pretty impressive.

These films were just not for me. I'd much rather see more of their kind on Witch Mountain, or wherever they keep going back to in the end.
February 24, 2013
Classic Disney live action. Plus Bette Davis still creeps me out.
½ January 14, 2013
This is a sequel to Escape To Witch Mountain. Very loose and predictable. Christopher Lee and Bette Davis play the antagonist characters. About two young boy and girl from outer space with extraordinary psychic powers - who get trapped in the net of opportunists like Lee and Bette.
January 8, 2013
Love these movies as a kid...just don't remember them now!
½ November 1, 2012
Not as great as the first one...and its amazing--and sad--that they got two big stars to be in it: Christopher Lee and Bette Freakin Davis!
½ October 2, 2012
A movie so bad, so cheesy, so absurd...that it's great! Bette Davis leads an awful cast on a wild goose chase to nowhere, which makes it all the more charming.
½ August 23, 2012
Loved it but that was a long time ago
½ June 26, 2012
Totally dissapointing followup of Escape To Witch Mountain finds the kids in the big city unsupervised, and Tony gets kidnapped by two evilsoers (Christopher Lee and Bette Davis!) and Tia must find him Before It's Too Late! Plenty of Plotholes galore (it's a wonder why the kids just don't fly across town instead of run run running) and the ending, about the evil doers almost causing a nuclear melrdown is also ridiculous as well. Oh well, Ike Eisenmann DOES have his shirt off for some of the movie, which did wonders for my queer hormones when I first saw it as a boy back in 1978..
June 11, 2012
Decent sequel with Christopher Lee and Bette Davis terrorizing our twin heroes.
½ May 29, 2012
Christopher Lee is always an enjoyable villain, but his motives here are still cliched. The kids from the first film reprise their roles, but now they've entered that awkward teenage period and aren't the cute adventurers from the first film. Also the film splits them up for 90% of the time, and even has Tony under mind control for much of that time as well. This ruins much of the charm that made the first film so enjoyable, and frankly makes the whole thing feel bland and pointless. It has it's moments of 70's Disney charm, but the fact that it takes away so much of what made the first film successful (the simplicity, the mystery, the adventure, and relationship between the two children) is highly discouraging, leading to a simple mad scientist story with some dated special effects. It's not bad exactly, it's just not particularly good.
May 21, 2012
Entertaining but a little childish.
March 3, 2012
I seen this movie too. I like this movie. It's good!
February 15, 2012
The Psychic Kids Return. This Time Tony Is Brainwashed & Becomes A Terrorist Due To Christopher Lee's Brainwashing Machine, Hollywood Heavyweight Bette Davis Stars As Lee's Accomplice. It's Tia's Job To Stop A Nuclear Meltdown. Just Poor Especially Compared To The First.