The Return of Swamp Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Return of Swamp Thing Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
Probably the first "so bad it's good" film I've seen from comic books, this film is the PG-13 version of Friday the 13th. On a technical aspect, it's one of the best examples of practical effects, costume design and makeup. That is the only thing that this improves on against the original. Unfortunately, the story and characters really drag the film down. Due to the success of the superman franchise, this film changed it's theme from mysterious and terrifying, to light hearted and funny. Like any bad comic book movie, it tries to tell too many stories at once, one involving arcane, one involving a girl with an obsession with plants and another detailing two kids quest to make the most forced jokes in the history of cinema. All the characters lose their touch a little. This film really should be called "Return of Arcane" as swamp thing barely features in it. The little he is in, is always some superman esc "save the day and be nice to the victims" event. The film really centres around Arcane, who is far less intelligent, and genuinely threatening than he was in the first one. Are comic reliefs are unfunny, and are damsel in distress is just that. This film came out the same year as Batman, I think I know which one I'd rather see.
March 27, 2016
I am in this so I gave it five stars. Sue me.
December 8, 2015
this reminds me of howard the duck
December 2, 2015
A much lesser sequel, hard to sit through, painfully awkward comedy throwen into bad effects.
July 15, 2014
No where near as good as the first, and far more campy, The movie remains watchable due to a fun turn by Heather Locklear as a women sexually attracted to a plant!
May 2, 2014
the first Swamp Thing was mired in a certain dullness apt enough to its surroundings. sadly the only major highlight was the glorious sight of Adrienne Barbeau skinny dipping and then some during the movie. what Jim Wynorski brings to the table second time around is a sense of fun and big time frolic. luckily the return of the big green guy also allows the late Dick D urock to go beyond what screen time he was given from the first movie. with a witty script and some decent directorial flashes, this is a worthy sequel and one from the eighties no less
½ March 31, 2014
As a 10 year old kid I watched this movie a lot on channel 54, and the 10 year old me still recommends this movie. However , the 33 year old me thinks there are better movies to waist your time with
½ October 10, 2013
What a piece of shit. At least Adrian Barboubot showed her titties as the hottie in the first one, why could not Ms Locklear do the same for this one? A re-hash of the first movie, but dumbed-down phenomenally.
July 22, 2013
The thing about The Return of Swamp Thing that I find interesting is that in the first film it was all about Swamp Thing, really. In the sequel, it's all about the villains and their evil plans, and less about Swamp Thing. You would think that they would want to expand on the character, ala Robocop 2, and get into what his life was like before the accident. Oh well. We're served up with a horrible movie instead that somehow features Louis Jourdan again as the same character he played previously, despite the fact that he went through a metamorphosis AND died in the previous film. It's never really explained, and all of the acting is just awful, especially from Heather Locklear. The only really fun character in the movie is Gunn, played by Joey Sagal. He's a terrible person, but he's much more interesting that anyone else in the cast. Some of the make-up effects are good, and Swamp Thing certainly looks better than he did in the previous film, but overall, this is just a terrible movie from beginning to end. Only see it if you're a fan of the first film.
April 7, 2013
The creature designs are pretty good and there are some good rubber monster suit action sequences. A very campy movie. I enjoyed it a lot as a kid, and it's still somewhat enjoyable to this day because I am a huge fan of the comics, but it's laughable on so many different levels when you know the storylines being lifted from the comics. Heather Locklear would be the perfect Abby Arcane if she wasn't such a terrible actress. That's really the saddest part of this movie.
March 28, 2013
Guilty pleasure or just pathetically ludicrous? You be the judge.
February 16, 2013
This might be good for a laugh today.
January 18, 2013
Campy but not in a good way, this monster film wastes great potential from its comic book roots in fist-fights and lame jokes. At least the two kids were funny.
September 27, 2012
a bad movie but very enjoyable
March 23, 2012
Without a doubt, the absolute, worst acting that I have ever seen in a film. A truly horrible experience.
½ November 3, 2011
The only thing they improved was Swamp Thing's appearance.
½ October 31, 2011
Gloriously 80's flick, it just sums up everything from that era so well its makes it great fun haha the big hair, cheesey monster suits that look quite good, over the top explosions, sexy females and dumb bad guys....its all here.
The film is much better than the first but thats due to the higher budget and bigger fanbase at the time, the plot continues the battle against 'Dr Arcane' in an' Island of Dr Moreau' kinda way but the plot holes are HUGE. Like...who or what was the other swamp thing that our swamp thing battles with during the film?? where did he go?

Still you cant look too much into this as its a fun monster mash with dodgy acting :)
½ September 17, 2011
I feel like it would be memorable for a pre-teen seeing it for the first time. Otherwise, it's not very good. It was nice to see Sarah Douglas though.
August 25, 2011
2 many bad jokes & bad effects make this had 2 watch.