Return of the Dragon (The Way of the Dragon) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return of the Dragon (The Way of the Dragon) Reviews

April 26, 2017
My favourite Bruce lee picture
March 30, 2017
Remember the movie in which Bruce Lee kicks Chuck Norris's ass this is it. The only day Chuck Norris cried was the day Bruce Lee died.
½ March 10, 2017
A long time ago, before CGI spectacle took over movie screens across America, there were simple, fun martial arts movies where real people fought each other with real skills. That is one of the traits of Way of the Dragon that holds up today. We begin with Tang Lung (Bruce Lee) arriving in Rome, Italy to help Chen Ching-hua (Nora Miao) fight off some mobsters who want to claim her recently deceased father's restaurant. What follows is a martial arts film that is modest in terms of action compared to today's spectacles, but Bruce Lee's martial arts skills still hold up. The only thing I would say feels dated is when someone is smoking in a restaraunt, but otherwise, this is almost as good now as it was in 1972. To today's audiences, it comes off as a little cheesy. I call it that because of the way some of the mobsters act, and the fight scenes that are simply not as cinematic as Marvel's Daredevil (a TV show). But that's what is nice about Way of the Dragon: it is simple and fun. Early on, there are a few things Tang does that go nowhere, but otherwise, my only problem is with the cheesy vibes I got from some of the mobsters and fight scenes. Joseph Koo's soundtrack that services the story still also adds to the cheesiness, but does its job all the same. What still holds up as a solid fight scene is the climactic fight between Tang Lung and America's best martial artist (in the film and real life) Colt (Chuck Norris). Overall, Way of the Dragon has aged into a fun martial arts romp that still has the simplest great fight scene between two highly skilled people, Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris, who never fought off camera because the universe would have imploded if they did. It holds up, but still comes off as cheesy here and there.
February 3, 2017
Surprisingly well directed. Chuck Norris' body hair is something to behold. It wasn't well enough established that Chen owned the place. I thought Wang did. That twist at the end didn't work as well as it should have. Half star demerit. Still an enjoyable film. Where else will you get Bruce Lee & Chuck Norris in the Colosseum? Lucky for Bruce it wasn't real life. Chen was hot. Best film Lee ever directed.
½ December 13, 2016
The only things better than Bruce Lee versus Chuck Norris and all those restaurant brawls are the stunningly beautiful lead actress and counting how many times Lee goes to the bathroom.
August 21, 2016
You can't get enough of Bruce Lee. Legendary figure.
August 7, 2016
Solo por ver a Bruce Lee apalizar a Chuck Norris vale la pena
½ June 11, 2016
Bruce Lee is a good fighter and self-defense. This Is a chance for people Soucie Marshal arts. But I was not a fan of this movie it's too complicated and I just didn't think it was for me so I'm not a fan of this movie
May 30, 2016
Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris! The only film where Lee starred, directed, wrote, and had total control of his picture and I think an agreement could be made that this is his best film (it's his wife's favorite film of Lee's). Lee plays a man who visits his relatives in Italy and finds himself helping them defeat their restaurant from a gang of mafia types looking for extortion money. The film features some terrific fight sequences, but the film has a classic on-screen fight sequence between Bruce and a before-he-was-famous Chuck Norris. I think my only complaint about this film is the no-so-funny comic moments, which were common to martial arts pictures of this time. "Enter the Dragon" is clearly the best produced picture to star Lee, but "The Way of the Dragon" is probably the best film to feature the athleticism and skills of Lee, which is why I think this is Lee's best picture.
½ May 29, 2016
Well, I didn't quite get the comedic ordering of the soup at the airport restaurant, and I thought this film was slow and plodding until Lee finally busts his moves. Then it gets going. I thought the signature Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris fight was good. I'm not sure if it's the best I've seen, but it was nice.

My favorite fight is the one in the alley behind the restaurant.

Not too bad, but I'm not sure I'm going to miss it.
½ April 25, 2016
Return of the Dragon (1974) ?? 1/2
Third Lee film about his trip to Italy and his decision to help his relatives defend against gangsters causing them harm. Pretty good Kung Fu film, mostly remembered for its final fight with Chuck Norris in Colosseum. Followed by ENTER THE DRAGON.
April 15, 2016
Campy and a lot of fun, Way of the Dragon defined the Hong Kong martial arts genre.
February 16, 2016
This one started out very strange, like a bizarre foreign comedy(funny, random dialogue, Lee's character having an odd reaction to a hot Italian babe who basically throws herself at him, one of the henchman looking like a carbon copy of Wolfman Jack) but when it comes down to it, the main draw was seeing Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris in an epic showdown that did not disappoint. It's no Enter the Dragon, but it's satisfying enough.
February 4, 2016
The best of the Hong Kong spaghetti kung fu movies, and of course Bruce Lee is at his best ... even with his quirky smile ... if he had lived, he would be right up there with Clint Eastwood and his spaghetti westerns. Truly part of the great spaghetti movie culture ...
January 14, 2016
It's pretty much all about the fight scene between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris, because the rest of it is pretty nonsensical and bad.
December 26, 2015
A very deep story written by Lee that makes this one of my favorite films.
½ November 28, 2015
Casi todo en esta película es realmente flojo: guión, diálogo y actuación rozan lo insoportable, técnicamente es justa... pero cualquier precio es bajo para poder ver a Bruce Lee luchar en pantalla, y en esta el dragón es totalmente épico.
½ October 17, 2015
I noticed that kung fu developed quite a bit since the early Charlie Chan movies. I don't think it was because of Hollywood being ignorant of Kung Fu, but that it was Hollywood that created Kung Fu. After doing more research into the matter, I found my thesis had become fortified. In Return of the Dragon, Lee has toned down a theatrical fighting style that can be very frenzied at times. All of his kicking and punching in earlier films would startle just about anyone, and usually does, but it seems to be mostly for the show of it rather than an effective way to beat someone up.
In the humorless Return of the Dragon, he portrays the lone defender of a family business besieged by a "syndicate" - I'm not sure the word syndicate has ever been used in a court of law but Hollywood is convinced they exist.
Repeatedly frustrated, the syndicate resorts to sending in their hired gun, Chuck Norris. Since the movie is a Bruce Lee movie, you can guess how that resolves. I would suppose everyone else in the syndicate is hired gun, but what distinguishes Norris is that he is imported.
One of the better Bruce Lee films, but also in the vanguard of films that helped conceive phrases such as: "like a kung fu movie without the violence" or "the acting is so bad I thought I was watching a kung fu movie.' etc.
August 27, 2015
Wow Bruce Lee, super hot, super fast. Amazing. I love when Bruce Lee grabs a fist full of ginger chest hair in the final fight scene against Chuck Norris in the Roman Colosseum. Cheesy and weird humor, and dubbed... and great fighting.
June 25, 2015
Great movie. Slow start, but excellent fight scenes. What is more bad ass than Bruce Lee v.s. Chuck Norris hand-to-hand in the Roman Colosseum.