The Return of the Living Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Return of the Living Dead Reviews

August 22, 2017
This movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. And will forever be my all time favorite zombie movie. I saw this and Fright Night in the same theater.
½ August 22, 2017
As a fan of fast zombies, The Return of the Living Dead makes a great story between the desperate alive people locked indoors and combining such gory violence, spooky zombie designs and even spooky zombie personalities that they're protesting they only want brains to relieve of their pain, so in my opinion this movie was a very clever satire on society. Special effects are also impressive in addition to the outcome of fear. It took me a while to figure out why I enjoyed this movie and how this movie suits as satire, but it was kinda fun how long it took me to figure it out.

Return of the Living Dead obviously did some things a lot better than did George A. Romero, like creating an actual story that is 95% fighting and running from zombies and the movie was able to balance horror and tragedy very well.
½ August 20, 2017
A horror comedy film that is over the top, exploitative, cheesy but also damn good fun every step of the way. It has an eccentric script, excellent practical effects, plenty of laughs, a solid soundtrack/score, a well paced plot and plenty of style that aids its goofy tone. I could nitpick about the acting not being the best or the plot not being all that in depth but despite that this is a highly enjoyable film that lovingly parodies other films in the horror zombie genre.
½ August 14, 2017
With the perfect mixture of comedy, horror and creative use of practical special effects it leaves no question as to why this is ranked a favorite among fans of the genre.
½ August 12, 2017
I saw this sometime closer to its release date and Ayako reports that she saw it during its release in Japan. We own the DVD but hadn't put it on for a long time. I never realized that it was directed by Dan O'Bannon (writer of Alien and Dark Star). It is a superior zombie film, definitely of its time (1980s) with a number of punk rock characters and fashion and music to suit (not always punk but definitely 80s). I think we can agree that this is a comedy rather than a horror film, although the action and effects are as aggressive and gory as anything you would see contemporaneously. Unlike in George Romero's classic films (Night of.., Dawn of..., and so on), these zombies move quickly and have a degree of intelligence ("Call More Paramedics!"). The plot: Two inept guys working at a medical supply warehouse accidentally spill some tin drums of military origin stored in the basement. They release a gas which brings the dead back to life (and also infects them). Unfortunately, the warehouse is located next to a huge cemetery. Some punk kids are hanging out there. The whole group escape to a nearby mortuary with the head of the medical supply company (Clu Gallagher) and attempt to defend themselves. No real social commentary here (of the kind offered by Romero) but just some fast-paced gruesome fun with a light dose of cynicism (at the end).
July 19, 2017
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LIVE ANYMORE!!!
May 23, 2017
One of my favorite horror movies,ever!
Great, campy, fun!
May 20, 2017
This is quite possible one of the best zombie movies to come out of the 80's! I remember watching it as a child (which in hindsight is way too young to watch this) and it scared me. It is still fun to watch today. It has a great musical theme, but the soundtrack is a bit dated and cheesy.
May 17, 2017
I can't believe I have never seen it a great fun zombie movie
½ May 9, 2017
Send more paramedics. One of the best of the goofy 80's horror movies and one of the best zombie movies of all time.
April 26, 2017
Hilarious punk rock zombie film. An 80s classic. Very funny and scary
½ April 23, 2017
Sure made an impression and inspiration to many would be like the movies.
March 30, 2017
Didn't expect this movie to be this good. Best zombie movie I've seen without a doubt. One word phenomenal.
February 18, 2017
Just fun it knows what it is and it works for me I enjoy this movie more and more everytime I see it the best cheese out there.... enjoy
January 28, 2017
Bloody, gory, gruesome and funny. The Return of the Living Dead is a perfect Zombie horror film that further helped to lay the foundations for the Zombie Horror sub-genre. Over the top in all the right ways, this film is about as fun as a horror movie can get.
½ January 28, 2017
Perhaps my favourite zombie film. First half hour is extremely well done and often humorous. Only thing I might have changed is a bit more serious living dead. Great ending in the form of the military's response.
January 26, 2017
What the hell did I just watch?
½ November 11, 2016
A bloody fun zombie flick with great effects work and solid slapstick
October 30, 2016
This is a masterpiece of a Horror / comedy.
Great acting that is always slightly over the top but works perfectly.
Nudity and Zombie violence with great effects.
Great soundtrack.
½ October 30, 2016
- Classic horror-comedy from the mod-eighties, this movie is a lot of fun. It's intentionally cheesy, but really well done. The performances, particularly from a couple veteran character actors(Clu Gulager & James Karen), are great. The practical effects are pretty good, and the score if perfect for the film. If you like the genre, then you'll have a lot of fun with this one!

- Intentionally cheesy and a lot of fun. This one is really helped by its sense of humour and some funny & gory sight gags. For fans of horror-comedies, check it out!