The Return of the Living Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Return of the Living Dead Reviews

½ November 11, 2016
A bloody fun zombie flick with great effects work and solid slapstick
October 30, 2016
This is a masterpiece of a Horror / comedy.
Great acting that is always slightly over the top but works perfectly.
Nudity and Zombie violence with great effects.
Great soundtrack.
½ October 30, 2016
- Classic horror-comedy from the mod-eighties, this movie is a lot of fun. It's intentionally cheesy, but really well done. The performances, particularly from a couple veteran character actors(Clu Gulager & James Karen), are great. The practical effects are pretty good, and the score if perfect for the film. If you like the genre, then you'll have a lot of fun with this one!

- Intentionally cheesy and a lot of fun. This one is really helped by its sense of humour and some funny & gory sight gags. For fans of horror-comedies, check it out!
October 13, 2016
One of the greatest zombie films of all time, without question. Makeup and special FX were astounding for any 80's movie, nevermind a zombie flick in an era when zombies were laughably covered in blue makeup and obvious fake blood. "You know I love you, that's why you have to let me eat your brains!!!"
September 18, 2016
Without a doubt this has to be my favorite zombie movie of all time. It was hallarious, but the zombies were so well done it was still creepy. This was a perfect comedy sequel to the first one.
½ September 16, 2016
The Return of the Living Dead is one of those guilty pleasure movies that's actually much smarter in its satire and wit than one might expect it to be. I love it for a lot of different reasons but the main ones are the fact that it's set in Louisville, Kentucky (my old stomping grounds), it's about zombies and it's an 80's horror comedy that's actually very funny. Everything about it is so ridiculously fun that it's very much a comfort food sort of movie. If you don't want to be heavily engaged in something or not put a lot of thought process into a movie then The Return of the Living Dead is something you'll definitely enjoy. It's not a dumb movie by any means, but it doesn't take an enormous amount of brain power to enjoy it either.
½ August 31, 2016
Somehow this is better than most of zombie movies nowadays.
August 22, 2016
BRAAAAAiiiinnnnnnnssssssss
July 21, 2016
God, I love this crazy damn movie! So hilarious and entertaining. It never gets old.
½ June 23, 2016
Best zombie movie ever
June 21, 2016
Very good movie. The combination of political satire, zombie satire, slapstick comedy and actual zombie horror blend pretty well, but sometimes not enough, occasionally resulting in a bland movie with great effects, good direction and ok performances.
June 11, 2016
Send more paramedics. One of the best of the goofy 80's horror movies and one of the best zombie movies of all time.
May 26, 2016
Best zombie film. Ever.
May 2, 2016
This has a fun story and lots of gore.
April 18, 2016
The Return of the Living Dead (1985) ???
Off-kilter horror story about an accident in warehouse that results in bringing the dead back to life. Naturally, they want brains. Not-quite-your-typical "dead" story, there is a lot of very clever dark humor and a pitch-perfect performance from James Karen as the manager of the warehouse. The intensely graphic nudity and killings are a nearly fatal flaw to this otherwise enjoyable ride, with a rather intrepid conclusion. A guilty pleasure of mine; ugly fun all the way. Followed by two sequel.
March 11, 2016
Let's not get carried away, it has dated horribly but the scares, tension and comedy moments still work.
March 4, 2016
A cult classic of the 80's. A must see.
December 13, 2015
Absolute Classic! Dan O'Bannon's Citizen Kane of horror comedy.
December 1, 2015
Hilarious!! I can't believe that I was afraid when I was young watching this film, lol