Return of the Living Dead Part II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

cosmo313
May 1, 2014
could be a lot of fun
½ April 5, 2014
The sequel follows on from the first with its very very basic and silly plot but this time it goes for the throat with full on comedy over horror and gory effects. The makeup and effects are again excellent and show what can be done with real hands on skills instead of just using CGI.

This follow up is not as bloody and in your face as the first but more of a slapstick horror with icky green/brown pus favoured over ye olde claret. The odd thing in this sequel is they clearly follow the same plot route as the first. The plot is your standard zombie outbreak type of thing with toxic waste causing the usual problems, but it all feels like a reboot because the first film used toxic gas as the problem that causes the dead to rise from their graves. From there on its virtually the same spiel, literately!.

The use of the same actors in the exact same type of roles, albeit with different names, is strange yet it doesn't seem to matter. The same type of humour and even the same dialog at times make this film feel like a rerun of the first film but with better effects and a lighter tone. Despite the positively evil looking poster art the film isn't very scary at all, its almost a spoof at times, but a very good one.

An amusing 'Thriller' mockery moment at the end typifies how silly this franchise has become, but it is quite amusing I must admit. At the end of the day it still a very good horror comedy and doesn't take itself seriously at all which helps. I think the route they decide to take with this franchise after the first film was the right choice otherwise it would have just been seen as a Romero franchise ripoff.

The actors are having fun in their roles and the special effects guys are having a blast with all the slimy gruesome gore. Its completely hokey and corny of course, but back in the day these films were fresh and popular and they still hold up today if you ask me. The ultimate popcorn flick and perfect for aspiring monster makeup wannabes.
March 12, 2014
This movie is awesome kiiiid! I remember watching this when i was younger it was pretty scary because of the thought of the dead coming back to life. Now that I'm older i can still appreciate the memories of a good scare plus the comedy of it that i was blinded to that i can now have a laugh at stil makes it fun to watch. You just gotta be open minded to enjoy it
December 19, 2013
The thing about Return of the Living Dead Part II that I find interesting is that it tries to replicate what worked in the first movie, with some of the same ideas and twists, but it also tries it within a different kind of framework. This time it feels less interesting and more straightforward than the first film. Of course it's not superior at all, but some of the effects and some of the gags were pretty good. I particularly liked the one zombie trying to come out of his grave and other zombies stepping on his hands, which made me laugh. There are little things like that, but the lack of originality and the less-inspired story and story-telling make it not as much fun, or as enjoyable. It's a shame too because this could have been a great series, but it started off on the wrong foot and never really found its groove. It's a decent watch but not much more than that, and it makes you want go back and watch the original again just to forget about it altogether.
½ December 16, 2013
It was enough to keep me entertained.
Although it was extremely campy, poor humor it had a few high points that left you with a few small chuckles
November 7, 2013
I love it!! yea its silly but that's the point that's what makes it good
November 7, 2013
Return of the Living Dead Part 2 succeeds, as its predecessor did, in making fun of its own genre. Even with its over the top tongue and cheek approach, and its penchant for riding off the rails, I still find this second entry in the series enjoyable and I wouldn't change a thing. As with the previous installment of the series, the film tries to maintain an equal balance of horror and comedy, but with this iteration the pendulum tends to swing more towards the comedic side of things. Even though the tone is a bit different from the original, the effects and overall look of the film is still intact. The zombie makeup and designs are just as grotesque as before, with decaying bodies and rotten faces looking especially devilish, while the atmosphere is locked in that foggy haze from right out of a nightmare. Also, there is a cameo from a zombie dressed up like Michael Jackson from Thriller at one point in this movie, and that pretty much kicks all ass, ever. Though not as good as the first, Return of the Living Dead Part 2 is a good addition to the series with good gags to make you chuckle and good gore to make the squeamish cower. A must see for any age of zombie fan.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film... (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
½ November 1, 2013
Long story short, they basically took the first film,and remade it, but with comedy that falls flat. I give it this rating only because they had zombies driving a car, and they had a Thriller reference. Other than that, you really should not be in a hurry t o see this.
October 26, 2013
Return of the Living Dead Part II isn't so much a sequel as it's a remake. Once again barrels of Trioxin are discovered and opened in a small community, resulting in the reanimation of the dead. The plot hits the same beats and recreates some of the same scenes of the original, only in slightly different ways. The tone however, is way too jokey and slapstickish. Some of it's funny (if for no other reason than how crazy it is), but most of it's idiotic schlock. Missing the darkness and clever satire of the original, Return of the Living Dead Part II is uninspired tripe.
½ October 8, 2013
Nothing to do with the (superior) original. More on par with The Stuff than its predecessor. Too kid oriented and no naked chicks. Some funny moments (splatstick), but not as good as the first.
October 3, 2013
The previous film was a fun, mischievous zombie extravaganza that celebrated its own shamelessness. This sequel attempts the same and fails.
August 24, 2013
Nothing as good as the first one, and I think it's mostly cause they tried to basically make a rehash instead of an actual sequel.

I have seen it a few times and bringing back Karen and Matthews to basically do the same thing as they did in part 1, only as different characters, seems beyond redundant. You know how it will end for them, so what's the point.

Michael Kenworthy and Marsha Dietlein are solid here as the brother-sister leads. Dietlein is cute and has a voice that is a dead ringer for Kerri Green!

I love Suzanne Snyder and here she is a smoking hot red head, yum, but man do they make her annoying. Her last few minutes in the movie are pretty intolerable!

The zombie effects are pretty good, but the ending leaves something to be desired.

It's okay for a rainy day, but nothing as great as the first one.
½ August 15, 2013
Unfunny and predictable.
½ July 25, 2013
Not a very bad movie the plot and actors are good better than zombie movies nowdays
July 4, 2013
What's more irritating than James Karen in this movie (although he was hilarious in part I) is just how bad this sequel is compared to the excellent original. A dumb, dumb, horror comedy that constantly tries to pile on the laughs and fails.
June 24, 2013
A comical sequel to an already comedic original. This film is good for some laughs, but lacks any realism. It's hard to care for any of the characters, but it is fun to watch.
½ June 20, 2013
Bad acting. Bad effects. Bad everything. If you're looking for some silly 80s schlock, I guess its okay.
May 28, 2013
great sequel. definatly a fan of the series. rock and roll zombies. braaaaaaaaains
½ May 21, 2013
Bad excuse to make a sequel except for the re-pairing of Thom Matthews and James Karen. They do make this somewhat bareable, but only for one showing. Oh, and the DVD version replaces the eerie score with chimes and Bevrly Hills Cop scoring, making the film even less pleasureable.
½ May 3, 2013
What the hell happened between this film and the original Return of the Living Dead? The first film was great! A cult classic with some fun comedy and the birth of the stereotype that zombies love brains. Now, even though this film follows the same rules for ROTLD zombies, we get a poorly executed sequel that was extremely unfunny. In this follow up to Return of the Living Dead, a few boys find another tank with the chemical (now identified as Trioxin). Long story short, two of the three boys open the tank and raise the dead who are instantly after people's brains. I can't believe how bad this film was. Usually, when the first sequel of a series comes out, it can go one of two ways. Either it can (rarely) be better than the original (i.e. Evil Dead 2) or not as good as the original but still entertaining (i.e. Iron Man 2). This film, however, blows past both of these rules and turns out to be just plain awful. The acting is off-the-wall awful. I couldn't take anyone seriously because they were all being too cartoonish, even for a horror comedy! I couldn't stand the kid in this film. He was just annoying throughout the whole thing. He made me want to pull my hair out because he was so awful! Even the zombies were bad. The make-up was much worse than what we got in the original. They just looked too plastic for my taste. Some of them even sounded like hicks (Get that screwdriver out of my head!). The only redeeming quality of this film lasts only 8 seconds. Some random zombie pops out of nowhere when the others were being electrocuted and he was dressed like Michael Jackson from the Thriller music video. He was so absurd that I actually found myself laughing. Stay AWAY from Return of the Living Dead Part II. This is just a time waster that's boring and not even funny.