Return of the Living Dead 3 Reviews

• Mar 24, 2020

The goriest of the Franchise

The goriest of the Franchise

• Mar 22, 2020

Absolutely underrated gem. This movie actually pioneered the zombie romance movie in a way much better than warm bodies did.It's also paced extremely well, with one scene flowing into the next. The focus on horror over comedy actually make some like this one over the original and definitely more than the second movie. Hope it gets a better following one day.

• Mar 15, 2020

After a ghoulish and bright start this humourless movie runs out of ideas.

After a ghoulish and bright start this humourless movie runs out of ideas.

• Dec 18, 2019

This is by no means a *good* movie, but its most redeeming qualities, the dynamic between the protagonist and his girlfriend make the movie endearing. The practical effects, while ambitious, are hit and miss -- the misses being nowhere near as good as the previous two Living Dead films. The story is simple and surprisingly sweet, which really benefits the negative aspects of the film's production. I feel if the production aspects of this film were much better this would be a really strong movie. As it stands though, the cheesy music, sometimes laughable practical effects, and dated character portrayals make this film something worth watching for Living Dead fans, if only for the powerful and tragic conclusion to the movie.

• Jun 25, 2018

I quite enjoy the films of producer/director Brian Yuzna, who had no connection to the first two Return of the Living Dead films and puts his own stamp on this series wit this third entry. The story follows a punk rock girl who happens to witness a secret government project and finds herself turned into a walking talking zombie following a motorcycle accident. Yuzna leaves out much of the comedy of the earlier films and made more of a straight horror films, but he didn't make this a traditional Romero style zombie picture either and instead made the punk rock girl more of a human-like zombie who the audience feels empathy for, which was a new twist on the genre for the time. When this film was first released, I remember being disappointed and wanted a more traditional of zombie siege film, with characters trapped somewhere and surrounded by the hungry reanimated dead, but going into this film knowing it wasn't that type of story, I think I appreciated it more this time around, even if it still isn't exactly a classic or in the same league as Yuzna's best films (those would be "Society" and "Beyond Re-Animator," though I also quite enjoyed "Faust" and "The Dentist").

• Dec 31, 2017

A very trashy sequel to the horror comedy. More of a straight to video feel about this... watchable for zombie fans.

• Mar 03, 2017

An often overlooked Brian Yuzna flick, recommended for gore hounds. The unrated blu ray looks great.

• Dec 01, 2016

Such a damn fun sequel. Schlocky low budget horror is rarely done better. I love the Romeo and Juliet aspect of it.

• Sep 12, 2016

Possibly Yuzna's best work. After a slow and questionable start, it unravels into a very original love story that takes the zombie genre in unique directions. It has a lot of heart and by the end, its hard not to see this movie's merit.

• Jul 14, 2015

I've got to admit that this film isn't bad, but it doesn't fit with the others at all. I was expecting a true sequel to the first film, dark comedy and hordes of zombies. If you are expecting that, then you are going to be disappointed. There are about 10 zombies in the whole film, and it's much more of an extremely dark suspense-drama than anything else. So I'm going to review it's own, not as a part of the series, because it's not that related to the others. RotLD3 has some flaws, but really a lot of merit. The main problem is that it's too dark, especially later in the film. I like dark films but the extremely depressing, violent tone of a lot of the film really distracts you from the story. The film tries to display a lot of gore the way many horror films do, but without the same tone of most of these horror films, lots of gore is quite out of place in a movie that's much more drama/suspense than horror. On the bright side; The script is very good. It's suspenseful and well written. The characters are believable and compelling enough to carry the film. Gore and zombie makeup are also impressive given the budget. The acting is convincing, much better than part two. So i'd like to stress that this film is not much like the others. It's much more dark and disturbing. But if you're still interested, yes- it's is worth a view. 63/100