The Return of the Native Reviews

• Jul 13, 2017

Looking past some very minor places within this feature, this old romance story is a fascinating drama that will keep the attention of its audience. The actors are younger than ever, the music has an outlining theme and the camerawork is very pretty. For my full review of The Return of the Native (1994), check it out on this IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110977/reviews-24

• Jun 02, 2016

If hadn't read the book, I would probably like this more, but it really takes liberties with changing important details of the plot. They oversimplified it. It is also very melodramatic and a bit overdone at times.

• Feb 15, 2013

this was a fantastic movie.

this was a fantastic movie.

• Oct 24, 2012

best school movie ive seen this year

best school movie ive seen this year

• Aug 22, 2010

Thomas Hardy was a literary genius. Let's just say this movie adaptation sizzles. The unexpected transformational ending didn't feel contrived at all. In the end, love conquers all. I would have to agree with the casting choices. Catherine Zeta-Jones really has "pagan eyes."

• Mar 01, 2010

Story of a bored femme fatale who is able to bewitch men.She forsakes her true love to marry for a ticket to Paris but it all falls through and so does the marriage. Sad tale.

• Feb 12, 2010

I suppose people would probably think this movie is a smaltzy Hallmark movie, but I love it!! It is the only film version of Hardy's classic, and a young Catherine Zeta Jones makes the character of Eustacia Vye come alive. Joan Plowright is also great as the heartbroken mother of Clym Yeobright. Rent it and see!!

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Dec 21, 2008

Beautifully photograped poignant version of Hardy novel.

Beautifully photograped poignant version of Hardy novel.

• Sep 04, 2008

Talks about selfishness..and if you are, you don't deserve good things.

Talks about selfishness..and if you are, you don't deserve good things.

• Jun 28, 2008

this was just odd. i only watched it cuz of clive owen... who looked like a total nancy perv in this haha... wow it was just so strange. and old fashioned. and weird. and depressing. the end cracked me up... catherine zeta-jones and those 'pagan eyes' hahaaa...