The Return of the Pink Panther Reviews

• Feb 28, 2021

While the third entry in The Pink Panther series is less suspenseful and much goofier, it's also definitely funnier than its predecessors with a couple of brilliantly executed comedic bits and pieces that are still amusing to watch. Clouseau, Cato and Dreyfus are the highlights here.

• Sep 22, 2020

It hasn't aged well. It's like the 1970s vomited a disco ball.

It hasn't aged well. It's like the 1970s vomited a disco ball.

• Jul 16, 2020

It's better than the first but that isn't saying much.

It's better than the first but that isn't saying much.

• May 22, 2020

Peter Sellers is back as Inspector Clouseau for another wacky detective adventure the best addition here is Christopher Plummer who may or may not be involved with a jewelry theft it turns out the infamous Pink Panther diamond has been stolen again and Clouseau is assigned once more to track down the thief but it's also causing a major headache for his chief Dreyfus who's slowly losing his mind bit by bit once again the jokes here work very well because of Seller's timing although some of them do tend to overstay their welcome still, this entry in the series is a lot of fun to watch, mainly because I was actually laughing at more of the visual gags each time Clouseau dons a different disguise the poor guy just can't catch a break but he does manage to get one step closer to solving the case the deeper he digs this 'Pink Panther' chapter is thoroughly a silly good time

• Mar 08, 2020

Some good gags here but this is way more meandering than the first two, with cringe-worthy moments that don't hold up today and that includes calling Cato "my yellow friend" every time we see him.

• Apr 17, 2019

The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) 5 out of 10: After an eleven-year absence (or a seven-year absence if you are one of those weirdos that consider Alan Arkin's Inspector Clouseau a proper Pink Panther film) Inspector Clouseau is back on the case. Someone has stolen the Pink Panther diamond. They have left the calling card of Inspector Clouseau's old nemesis the notorious Phantom. The Good: Herbert Lum as Chief Inspector Charles Dreyfus is for my money the best thing in the movie. His gag with the cigarette lighter that looks identical to his service pistol never fails to get a laugh and is easily the funniest thing in the film. The opening credits by Who Framed Roger Rabbit animation director Richard Williams are incredible. The Return of the Pink Panther sports some of the best opening credits of any film in the seventies and yes I include James Bond films in that statement. There is some lovely scenery in the film with location shooting in Gstaad and Morocco among others. The Bad: Do you like slapstick? What is your current threshold for slapstick? The Return of the Pink Panther is going to test those thresholds. Part of the problem is that slapstick has both fallen out of favor since 1975 and gotten a bit more creative and sophisticated. Jackie Chan falling off ladders one after another is a world apart from Peter Sellers with a bad false nose accidentally vacuuming a bird. The Return of the Pink Panther isn't just Slapstick mind you there is also a diamond heist that honestly is right out of a Mission Impossible movie. It is very well done but has nothing to do with the rest of the film tonally or otherwise outside of getting the Mcguffin in play. Speaking of not fitting the tone of the rest of the filmï¿ 1/2 Look I love to see Christopher Plummer tan, blonde, and happy but good Lord is he wrong for this role. Replacing David Niven as Sir Charles Litton, alias "the notorious Phantom," Plummer has a different feel to him. Plummer looks like he can kill someone with a karate chopï¿ 1/2 possible because in real life he can. Then there is the plot with which The Return of the Pink Panther saddles poor Christopher Plummer. It is one straight action scene after another with Plummer in a white dinner jacket as if he was rehearsing for a Bond film or a Saint reboot. The straightforward homage to Casablanca in these scenes was so over the top that Overdrawn at the Memory Bank was embarrassed. The Ugly: Burt Kwouk as Kato. What was a fan favorite in 1964's A Shot in the Dark simply doesn't work here. It isn't just Peter Seller's continually saying things such as "Cato is in hospital. They nearly blew his little yellow skin off!" that sounds a bit rough to my delicate modern sensibilities. The more significant issue is that Kwouk is too old to play a houseboy, looks awful in drag and doesn't seem as fun as he did in A Shot in the Dark. Maybe it is because the surprise is gone and the gag had run its course. Not in conclusion. I don't know where to put the former Bond girl and Space 1999 alumni Catherine Schell on this list. She plays Christopher Plummer's wife and bluntly has a more prominent role than he does. On the one hand, she is easy on the eyes with an adorable smirk that reminds one of Priscilla Barnes or Cameron Diaz. On the other hand, she keeps laughing uncontrollably during her scenes with Peter Sellers. She is like a female Jimmy Fallon. I can only imagine how bad were the takes they didn't use. In conclusion: I don't think this was ever a great film, but I can't help think it was once an entertaining film. It has aged fairly badly but make no mistake this is hardly the worst Pink Panther movie ever made. There is some stiff competition in that category.

• Feb 07, 2019

For a time "The Return Of The Pink Panther" had me worried. We spend a good portion of time following around the same character that had turned me off so decisively in this franchise's first installment -- Sir Charles Litton (this time portrayed by Christopher Plummer in lieu of David Niven). Thankfully, though, Clouseau is still the focus of this Blake-Edwards-directed romp, with Sellers' masterfully performed antics representing the film's clear high points. I still wish there was a bit more of him to go around -- and less of Litton -- but I suppose it's better than the aforementioned film that started it all.

• Nov 27, 2018

Peter Sellers at his slapstick best in this very funny follow-up sequel. Don’t judge me but this is better than the first film. Great catchy musical score as well

• Jul 25, 2018

I think I'm done with this franchise. I was hoping that, after watching The Return of the Pink Panther, I would understand why this film series was so successful, but I'm still baffled. The comedy has not aged well. The slapstick is lazy, and the story is predictable. I respect the work of Peter Sellers, but this movie made me think a little less of his sense of humor.

• Mar 12, 2017

Not seen this for years and years. A rather ordinary comedy is made exceptional by the dazzling performance of Peter Sellers.