Return to Sleepaway Camp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Return to Sleepaway Camp Reviews

½ July 27, 2016
Was hoping that this would be a good continuation of the Sleepaway Camp series but alas it was very brutal.
It was cool that the movie had some of the major original cast members but they can't even help this movie.
It was also pretty damn funny that Isaac Hayes played The Chef, that was actually what he was called.
Also nice to have the original writer/director back.
½ July 9, 2016
This Return to Sleepaway Camp is an infuriating hour and a half of movie hell, with none of the dark humor, wicked surprises, or creative slayings that made the previous entries to franchise endearing.
October 18, 2015
Just like the first sleepaway camp return brings back the old time horror the original used and not the 2 subsuqent sequels that relied on nudity and sex. Still even 25 years later the original members still kick ass
July 7, 2015
This movie is hilarious! Some really bad acting and annoying characters. Like every camp slasher ever, I gotta wonder how these old ass kids who smoke, drink, and fornicate end up at these summer camps. Where I am from, the age limit is like 12 or something, there's no 17 year old campers, they are called counselors! Ronny and Ricky are back and it's hard to say who is a worse actor but it's nice to see them again. The main bullied character is a big bully himself and while you do feel some pity for him, it's tinged heavily with disgust. Also starring Chef from South Park and "Big Pussy" from the Sopranos(the annoying kid even calls him a "big pussy"). What this movie has going for it most is the kill scenes. Truly cringe worthy and creative just like all of the Sleepaway camp films. Oh and the ending may remind you of the original, not as cool or effective but still pretty sweet!
April 17, 2015
The worst doesn't belong in the series
½ March 22, 2015
I originally gave this movie two stars when it first came out, but re-watching it I'm going to bump it down to one-and-a-half. The last thirty minutes of the movie are pretty good schlock, but the first 40 to 50 minutes is just too much of the same nonsense happening over and over. The dialogue is so bad, and not in a charming b-movie way, but in a "Please shut up this is annoying" sort of way. The first half of the movie feels grinding because you just want to see EVERY character die!

I knew the first time I saw this movie how it was going to end when I saw who ended up being the killer. It seems fairly predictable. It's also nice to see the "not so subtle" hints like "Manabe".

The kills are actually pretty decent. The tree part is the most memorable part of the movie, and that was the only real scene (outside of the ending) I had remembered from my prior viewing. It's still pretty funny.

Can I recommend this one? Eh, not really, but if you need more Sleepaway Camp in your life you can always check it out. It wasn't like it was insulting the legacy of what was already a cheap and dumb b-horror movie. By far the worst of the series though.
May 5, 2014
Nothing we haven't seen before, but it brought back Felissa Rose.
½ April 18, 2014
The only thing this movie accomplishes is creating one of the worst and least like able protagonists of all time.
October 28, 2013
This is easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I don't care that slasher movies (I'm a big fan of them) aren't supposed to be that smart, this one's stupider than a brick. First of all, our supposed main character is one of the most unlikable main characters that I've ever come across and is an unholy combination of pathetic, whiny, and a bully. On top of that, a good 85% of the movie is just scene after scene of the rest of the campers (and even some councelors) just sadistically and relentlessly bullying our main character over and over again. Now, if this was leading to something or had some point, then it would be fine. Unfortunately though, it doesn't and just comes across as mean-spirited and unpleasant. Thirdly, the ending can be seen coming from a mile away (seriously, if you didn't guess this one then you weren't paying attention) and half of the plotlines that the movie sets forth it doesn't explain in any way or resolve at all. Hell, the credits rolled halfway through a scene at the end, or at least it looked that way to me.

Literally the only redeeming value that this movie has is that some of the kills were pretty cool. The bed of spikes (how did she set that up without anyone noticing?) was awesome and perhaps the coolest moment, the cook's head in the hot oil was appropriately gruesome, and the birdcage with the rats thing was like something out of the "Saw" series. These moments are the only reason this is getting even 1 star, and it feels like the writer/director came up with them before the story and then threw together a plot in 5 minutes around it simply so they could film these kill scenes.

Not at all recommended for anyone. Stay FAR away from this one and let it fade mercifully into the obscurity it so richly deserves.
July 15, 2013
I don't care what anyone says this is the best sequel in the sleepaway camp franchise and the twist at the end isn't quite up to par with the first one but still is a suprise
May 22, 2013
Still the same Silent Assassin Kills from the first films, but the acting quality is a bit outdoated.
April 27, 2013
Sadly uncreative, messed up story, terrible acting, poor special effects, lack of quality all around. I am quite a fan of the first film and the two zany sequels and this one is better left unwatched. Can't even suggest it to fans of the franchise.
March 11, 2013
The newest Sleepaway camp called "Return to Sleepaway Camp" is the worse of them all. I bought this movie hoping it would be nice, but it was badly made. The special effects looked real fake and cheap. The plot was really stupid and useless; they should of focused on Angela more rather than some stupid little fat kid. I don't even consider this a horror movie; the first Sleepaway Camp is a horror movie but the other sequels that followed it were badly made; waste of money. ~Flex~
January 20, 2013
i can not even begin to describe how TERRIBLE this movie is TERRIBLE!!!!!
½ January 17, 2013
I am perplexed that Robert Hiltzik made one phenomenal movie and and one terrible one. Almost everything that made Sleepaway Camp great is missing in Return. They worked on this movie for years and the majority of it is just sad hackery.
December 28, 2012
It was an ok movie. Much better than sleep away camp 3. The acting was kinda stale and bad. If your a fan of the series then you'll probably enjoy.
November 22, 2012
It's a loving reboot for the hardcore fans... but it's still not very good. Some interesting kills help keep it entertaining.
October 31, 2012
hmmm, i wonder how this one got made?!