Reuben, Reuben - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reuben, Reuben Reviews

June 26, 2014
One of my favourite movies. Tom Conti is both delightful and pitiable as the tragic "Ted Hughes"-like protagonist. Funny, sweet, sad, the perfect movie for when you're feeling a bit old and jaded.
December 7, 2013
Tom Conti gives the performance of his lifetime in this intelligently written comedy-drama.
June 3, 2011
Tom Conti is magnificent in this film. He stars as drunken, womanizing poet who happens to fall in love with a young woman, whom he "loves too much to marry." I can't stress this enough: Conti's performance is remarkable. You will either love his witty remarks or hate him for his inconsiderate attitude. The ending is one of the weirdest you will ever see.
January 27, 2011
Intelligent, literate, with great poetry. Above the heads of most moronic Americans. Stick to your Justin Bieber, Yanks.
September 7, 2010
Conti's performance and dialogue are genuinely amusing, but overall the film has nowhere to go beyond the humor of that performance. It's all set-up lines for Conti (the punchlines of which he nails), but his character's emotional development isn't fresh enough to sustain the whole film.
July 28, 2010
It's like Arthur, except without John Gielgud's scene-stealing butler. Tom Conti delivers a very good performance, but aside from that it's rather forgettable.
½ May 7, 2010
Deutscher Titel: Ruben, Ruben - Poeten kü?t man nicht
February 6, 2009
nominated for best picture at the golden globes
November 21, 2008
A wonderfully acerbic film about a failed Welsh poet plying his played-out talents to disappointed suburban Connecticut housewives. Tom Conti is brilliant in his Oscar Nominated North American debut, and Kelly McGillis, in her debut role is absolutely ravishing.
Gowan McGland on seeing one of his middle-aged conquests remove her bra: "Deprived of their support, her breasts fell liked hanged men." Classic. It also has a rattling good ending.
½ February 10, 2008
one of my all time favorite films! tom conti is perfect in this role and was nominated, but did not win for best actor and lost to Robert Duvall for Tender Mercies. Tom Conti deserved it IMHO...
October 12, 2007
Väldigt länge sen jag såg den, och har inte hittat den i butiken sen dess. Kan bara instämma i allt Stuart Watkins skriver: Funny, intelligent and a truly bizarre ending. I love Tom Conti...He is a great actor. This movie is really quite a black comedy, but it is wonderfully written.
½ October 2, 2007
Black comedy.I love Tom Conti
September 28, 2007
September 22, 2007
One of my all time favourites. Hadn't laughed as heard since I read "Lucky Jim"