Reunion in France - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reunion in France Reviews

May 26, 2016
Pretty dreadful film. Crawford doesn't even bother with a French accent! How lazy is that? The other performances are forgettable as well.
November 29, 2015
There are many roles John Wayne did excellently, however romantic wartime melodrama is not one of them. A wordy bore, John Wayne playing a downed American RAF pilot posing as American student at age 35 is even for me too far a stretch of the imagination. Casablanca it most certainly isn't.
January 18, 2015
A film worth watching and adding to your collection....
December 13, 2014
love how they met :D
½ March 28, 2014
Reunion in France is an excellent film. It is about Frenchwoman Michele de la Becque, an opponent of the Nazis in German-occupied Paris, hides a downed American flyer. Joan Crawford and John Wayne give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jules Dassin did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Reunion in France is a must see.
½ February 14, 2014
Jules Dassin (before he was unfairly blacklisted and could only find work in Europe) directed this Joan Crawford WWII propaganda piece. Putting aside the corny jingoistic aspects of the story, it's a solid romantic drama about Frenchwoman Crawford believing her fiance is a Nazi collaborator, which is then complicated when she falls for John Wayne, playing a US pilot who's been shot down. And if you look real fast, you can catch Ava Gardner as a salesgirl.
½ January 16, 2014
pic bombed but i liked this WWII pic made during WWII and i liked the chemistry between wayne & crawford
June 1, 2012
This was a fascinating look at life and love in Paris during ww2. The twist was a wonderful surprise! Leaving me feeling warm and fuzzy
½ March 14, 2012
I'm Superman.

The Nazis have captured Paris early in World War II and they treat every non-German like a piece of trash. A French woman does her best to fit in using her good looks and persuasive ways to survive. She is still a servant but treated better than most of the French. When she comes across a United States pilot with a mission to execute, she reluctantly helps him hide from the Germans.

"Living doesn't mean just breathing."

Jules Dassin, director of Brute Force, Nazi Agent, The Affairs of Martha, The Naked City, and Topkapi, delivers Reunion in France. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting and unpredictable. John Wayne and Joan Crawford play their characters perfectly and deliver their lines with the right level of intensity. The cast also includes Philip Dorn, John Carradine, and Ann Ayars.

"Is the war the only reason you don't love me?"
"I'm not at war with anyone. I'm in love."

I was scrolling through Joan Crawford pictures and came across this movie. It grabbed my attention when I saw John Wayne as the costar. I enjoy watching both actors and decided to give this film a shot. It wasn't outstanding but it was definitely entertaining. This is an interesting picture that is worth a viewing.

"I am the law. I hold the power of life and death in this room."

Grade: B-
December 31, 2011
War messages - interesting to see some of the propaganda and anti-German sentiment - illusions to swine, the jazz death song. . . I enjoyed its melodrama - and honestly it was refreshing to see John Wayne in a non-Western role. . . and Joan Crawford protrudes the glamour of Hollywood.
August 1, 2011
Corny war-time propaganda told with effective style. Good use more John Wayne though!
½ July 19, 2011
A bit of a snooze. Joan plays a Frenchwoman (!) who cares too much about fashion and wealth to be bothered with the imposition that is WWII. Then the Nazis invade Paris, and she learns to be a better person.

The 47th of Joan's 81 films that I've seen.
½ September 14, 2010
A romantic melodrama that is badly dated, especially considering the fact that it top lines John Wayne and he doesn't get the girl in the last reel.
There's been some criticism by other reviewers that Joan Crawford doesn't sound French. Then again neither does anyone else in the film. The rest of the cast.
deano
½ September 4, 2010
½ June 2, 2010
I loved this movie, although Phillip Dorm, should have received higher billing than John Wayne. I stumbled on this movie by accident, my dad was watching it and I started to watch a few minutes of it, and then couldn't leave. It had me gripped, and showed why Joan Crawford was so revered as an actress. The twist in the last few minutes, was one of those hit yourself in the forehead moments, and makes you appreciate the plot of the movie even more. I would like to watch it again, so I can pick up on the clues I missed the first time.
½ June 18, 2009
LOL they couldn't have picked a better actress than Joan Crawford for this role! I thought it was good and although I typically hate movies where Americans with American accents are playing French or any other nationality while keeping the American accent, I was able to look past that this time. Now bad
June 16, 2009
Director Jules Dassin's contribution to the war effort, like most propaganda films - comes across as heavy handed drama. Not one moment do you believe that Joan Crawford is a frenchwoman. Nor does John Carradine IMO look and talk anything like a Gestapo agent. John Wayne gets second billing but he doesn't have much to do here as a downed pilot (a yank, of course) flying for the RAF. He spends most of his time hiding out from the nazis in Crawford's apartment. I thought the only reasonably interesting character might be Crawford's industrialist boyfriend (Philip Dorn) who turns into a nazi sympathizer. I do think there is possibly a germ of a good story here - the second half, at least, took an interesting turn. With maybe a little bit more rewriting and a LOT more believeable cast - this could have been a pretty good B movie at the very least.
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
March 10, 2009
joan gets to give the nazis a slap in the face. joan is the only reason I watch this movie cause I can't stand john wayne.